Keeping vs. Freedom

Discuss geocoins, trackable or not

Moderator: Moderator

Keeping vs. Freedom

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:04 pm

So, here I sit with a haul of geocoins and I'm torn. Purple Monkey Dishwasher bought me 12 coins for Christmas (she WAY outgifted me). And I have a few others I bought on sale.

Here's my conundrum. Some of the coins PMD got me are cool. Way cool. I'm mostly inclined to send them out. But then I won't see them again. I'm torn, so very very torn. So much so, that I haven't even managed to sit down and activate them.

Until now I have only kept 1 coin. My silver colored Anthus Decoder. I set the bronze version free. And the only reason I kept the silver was because I want to do a puzzle cache using the coin.

So how do you decide what to keep and what to set free?
Sidekick LWB said to sidekick engineer, 'I've hung out with people i've met on the internet before but i've never run into any of them in the middle of the woods.' (Upper Yough Trek)

Buffaloes and tigers are one thing, but mustelids are not to be trifled with.
Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby Raven on Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:08 pm

I would say keep the ones that you would hate to never see again and start a collection to show at M & Gs and such. That is what I did with ones Rock_Rat got me for xmas.
Raven

Postby Rock_Rat on Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:59 pm

:moon: FREEEEEEEDDOOMMMMM!!!!!!!!!! :kilt:
Murphy was an optimist! - O'toole's commentary on Murphy's law
The perversity of the Universe tends towards a maximum. - O'Toole's Corollary
I think this O'Toole guys onto something. - Rock_Rat's commentary on O'Toole
Rock_Rat

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:36 pm

Rock_Rat wrote::moon: FREEEEEEEDDOOMMMMM!!!!!!!!!! :kilt:

You just want some new icons....that's what is influencing you.....
Sidekick LWB said to sidekick engineer, 'I've hung out with people i've met on the internet before but i've never run into any of them in the middle of the woods.' (Upper Yough Trek)

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby scoutingwv on Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:12 pm

If you got the coin with the intention to let it travel, it's easy - put it out there. If not, keep the ones that appeal to you and either trade the rest or put them out.

I'm less inclined to let coins out around here because of the apparent theft I believe we've seen over the past several months. Yep - I'll call it theft. Coins are placed and then they go missing never to be seen in a cache again, and no logs saying someone picked them up or intend to drop them off somewhere. It looks like someone has been monitoring the caches and making their trips to put together their own "collection".
scoutingwv

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:25 pm

scoutingwv wrote:If you got the coin with the intention to let it travel, it's easy - put it out there. If not, keep the ones that appeal to you and either trade the rest or put them out.

I'm less inclined to let coins out around here because of the apparent theft I believe we've seen over the past several months. Yep - I'll call it theft. Coins are placed and then they go missing never to be seen in a cache again, and no logs saying someone picked them up or intend to drop them off somewhere. It looks like someone has been monitoring the caches and making their trips to put together their own "collection".

They were mostly gifts, so I guess that PMD wants me to let them go. But I dont' think she's dropped any of her set yet either.

I'm inclined not to put coins out in this area myself for the same reason - the theivery. I had one taken (yes taken) at night from Hotspur's Mission.

I released my South Tyrolean coin in Michigan and it has been happily traveling around from what I've seen.

I'm contemplating scanning the coins and then printing out on a laser color for me to keep in a book before sending them on their way. That way I can see how pretty they are (oooh, ahhh, pretty coins) but they are moving around for others to see and get icons.

I'm just not certain how well the scan will turn out. When I find some free time I'll give it a go.

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby Rock_Rat on Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:36 pm

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl wrote:I'm contemplating scanning the coins and then printing out on a laser color for me to keep in a book before sending them on their way. That way I can see how pretty they are (oooh, ahhh, pretty coins) but they are moving around for others to see and get icons.

I'm just not certain how well the scan will turn out. When I find some free time I'll give it a go.

If you have a decent digital camera you can often get better photos than with a scanner. But that depends on your camera and your steady hand.
Rock_Rat

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:42 pm

Rock_Rat wrote:
Spotty Spotty Pony Girl wrote:I'm contemplating scanning the coins and then printing out on a laser color for me to keep in a book before sending them on their way. That way I can see how pretty they are (oooh, ahhh, pretty coins) but they are moving around for others to see and get icons.

If you have a decent digital camera you can often get better photos than with a scanner. But that depends on your camera and your steady hand.

I'm sorry, have you met my geeky-obsessed sidekick? He of the "we must have proper lighting equipment, etc so I can take photos of my tiny brick buildings (which are cool by the way) in order to impress other tiny brick building geeks....." [I'd offer up our website as way of reference, but it is not updated]

We have semi-professional lighting, various tripods and all other kinds of crap for the Canon Eos Digital blah blah blah Rebel blah blah blah. Perhaps I will scan and then see what sidekick can do. (as a sidenote, I can see sidekick twitch when my friend Lisa shows up with her Digital Rebel camera because it is more fancy schmancy than mine. It is hilarious)

Seriously though, I would have thought the scanning better, but it did not occur to me to use a tripod & proper lighting. MOstly because I have NO patience. Yeah I know, me? haha!

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby Rock_Rat on Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:45 pm

A room full of dark room equipment down stairs says I sympathize with your photo obsessed hubby. Although I'm a Nikon kinda guy myself. :twisted:
Rock_Rat

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:59 pm

Rock_Rat wrote:A room full of dark room equipment down stairs says I sympathize with your photo obsessed hubby. Although I'm a Nikon kinda guy myself. :twisted:

For the love of caching....please I humbly beg you, do not let sidekick know of this. So far he has only fixated on digital. I don't want him starting on film (although personally I had lots of fun developing film - once I got the hang of it. Nothing like trying to find the spool on which you are trying to roll film in the pitch black and conking your head on the counter. Nice).

I was gonna try the scanning, but the big machine (aka sidekick's Girlfriend) is on the fritz and (surprise, surprise) the scanner software is not installed on my laptop. Thppppt.

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby scoutingwv on Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:21 pm

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl wrote:
Rock_Rat wrote:A room full of dark room equipment down stairs says I sympathize with your photo obsessed hubby. Although I'm a Nikon kinda guy myself. :twisted:

For the love of caching....please I humbly beg you, do not let sidekick know of this. So far he has only fixated on digital. I don't want him starting on film (although personally I had lots of fun developing film - once I got the hang of it. Nothing like trying to find the spool on which you are trying to roll film in the pitch black and conking your head on the counter. Nice).

I was gonna try the scanning, but the big machine (aka sidekick's Girlfriend) is on the fritz and (surprise, surprise) the scanner software is not installed on my laptop. Thppppt.

Soooooo ... I shouldn't tell him about my Rolleiflex twin lens, or my Graflex 4x5, or my Nikons, or my Yashicas, or my Voigtlanders, or my Canons, or all the accessories, or how medium or large format slides will make you melt where you stand or ...

OK - I PROMISE I won't bring it up at the next M&G. :D
scoutingwv

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:58 pm

scoutingwv wrote:
Spotty Spotty Pony Girl wrote:

Soooooo ... I shouldn't tell him about my Rolleiflex twin lens, or my Graflex 4x5, or my Nikons, or my Yashicas, or my Voigtlanders, or my Canons, or all the accessories, or how medium or large format slides will make you melt where you stand or ...

OK - I PROMISE I won't bring it up at the next M&G. :D

I humbly ask that you do not make me get out the fist of death at the next W&B night. :o

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby Rock_Rat on Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:29 pm

scoutingwv wrote:Soooooo ... I shouldn't tell him about my Rolleiflex twin lens, or my Graflex 4x5, or my Nikons, or my Yashicas, or my Voigtlanders, or my Canons, or all the accessories, or how medium or large format slides will make you melt where you stand or ...

I love my Yashica 124G, I've never done large format but medium is great.
Rock_Rat

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:41 pm

I scanned the coins this past week and I was quite happy with the images. I haven't tried to print yet (low black ink!!!! my printer is going to have a coronary) so I'll let you know how that turns out.

If we manage to get the most holy black printer cartridge before the B&W I'll bring an example for opinions.

I'm not quite ready for sidekick to take over the attic as his photo studio again. Ugh.

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Return to Geocoins