MAGPI Geocoin?

Discuss geocoins, trackable or not

Moderator: Moderator

MAGPI Geocoin?

Postby Lledier on Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:00 pm

I saw a really old thread about it...there were some votes...

the question is, did it ever become a reality?
No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Lledier

Re: MAGPI Geocoin?

Postby scoutingwv on Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:35 pm

Nope.
scoutingwv

Postby wvangler on Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:51 am

I'd like to see it. KYOWVA board has their own geocoin now. It'd be cool to have one for MAGPI.
Indecision is the key to flexibility.
wvangler

Postby scoutingwv on Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:59 am

I've been involved in having a couple made, have a lot of friends who have done this, have a few friends that are active in making them, and wouldn't necessarily mind helping out on one.

The volume to be made is the biggest question. Hard to tell if we'd sell enough to make it cost effective, or we may want to bankroll a minting, sell them to the membership, and let the Mods give them away/auction them for fundraising at events (like the annual Meat-nGreet) and stuff.

OK people ... looks like it may be time to chime in. If you're reading this, please post your thoughts on making a MAGPI coin - pro or con - so we can get an idea of where this may go. Things that are useful include:

- would you like to see them made?
- would you buy them?
- do you prefer any certain metals?
- are you willing to help out on the project (art design, review drafts, packing, shipping, tracking, etc.)?
- other thoughts about a MAGPI coin/

Keep in mind that this is not a democracy - if the Mods say there won't be a MAGPI coin, then there won't be one. Afterall, it's there site and their logo.
scoutingwv

Postby Rock_Rat on Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:36 am

I think it's a great idea. I always thought it would be cool to have a cut out coin made that approximated the logo's shape. Perhaps in silver, I think it would match well with the mostly blue logo. ScoutingWV do you know any one who may be willing to help us with the art part of the coin. I'm not sure my limited artistic abilities are up to the task. Any one here want to give it a shot. I'm certainly willing to chip in and help to make this happen.

For any one interested in trying there hands with the art you can find the logos in several formats in this thread.
Murphy was an optimist! - O'toole's commentary on Murphy's law
The perversity of the Universe tends towards a maximum. - O'Toole's Corollary
I think this O'Toole guys onto something. - Rock_Rat's commentary on O'Toole
Rock_Rat

Postby scoutingwv on Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:47 am

Rock_Rat wrote:I think it's a great idea. I always thought it would be cool to have a cut out coin made that approximated the logo's shape. Perhaps in silver, I think it would match well with the mostly blue logo. ScoutingWV do you know any one who may be willing to help us with the art part of the coin. I'm not sure my limited artistic abilities are up to the task. Any one here want to give it a shot. I'm certainly willing to chip in and help to make this happen.

For any one interested in trying there hands with the art you can find the logos in several formats in this thread.

Yeah - I think I could round someone up. I know a few of the current designers in the forums and I can check with the vendors I know, too. I'm not going to mention any names to avoid the appearance that they have committed to help us - no one has been approached yet. If we decide to do this, I'll check with them.

I was thinking of a similar design - cut out with translucent colors for the bird. Maybe add another ring around the outside so the compass points are so sharp?
scoutingwv

Postby Lledier on Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:15 am

I'd buy some. Silver looks good, and I like the idea about the extra ring to "dull" the compass points.
No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Lledier

Postby Rock_Rat on Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:22 am

scoutingwv wrote:Yeah - I think I could round someone up. I know a few of the current designers in the forums and I can check with the vendors I know, too. I'm not going to mention any names to avoid the appearance that they have committed to help us - no one has been approached yet. If we decide to do this, I'll check with them.

I was thinking of a similar design - cut out with translucent colors for the bird. Maybe add another ring around the outside so the compass points are so sharp?

That's great. Do you mean something along the lines of the Texas Ranger badges but maybe with a thinner outer ring? I can see that, it would probably look pretty good. Now what about the back. Do you think something simple like the gc.com logo, are address, and a tracking number or would we want to try and do some sort of design?
Murphy was an optimist! - O'toole's commentary on Murphy's law
The perversity of the Universe tends towards a maximum. - O'Toole's Corollary
I think this O'Toole guys onto something. - Rock_Rat's commentary on O'Toole
Rock_Rat

Postby scoutingwv on Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:24 am

For the back ... maybe make it look like the back of the image - See the other side of the bird and compass. Especially if it's a punched design. If it's not punched, we could do something different.

One way to keep the cost down is to NOT make them trackable. Tends to limit the interest, though, if we want to sell them to a broader group. If they're trackable, GC has to approve the design and the coin needs the GC logo on it. All that stuff would probably go on the back with the tracking number.
scoutingwv

Postby wvangler on Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:01 pm

I wouldn't be interested unless it was trackable. The cutout idea would be sweet, but remember that costs a lot more. A round coin is cheaper. The one I had made cost me $30 one time fee and then the coins are $2.90 each after that (see the aluminum geocoin thread). At a minimum MAGPI should have a bunch of those made. However, the ones that Wintz50 had made for KYOWVA Geocachers is a heavy duty coin with a standardized logo on the back...minimizing cost. Ask him where he had his made. He is selling them for $6 each and will have some available at Saturday's WWFM event in Charleston.
Indecision is the key to flexibility.
wvangler

Postby Knight who says Ni on Fri May 01, 2009 8:21 am

I would buy, but will leave the design ideas to you more creative types.
Adventure is a romantic name for trouble. ~Louis L'Amour
Knight who says Ni

Postby scoutingwv on Fri May 01, 2009 8:41 am

wvangler wrote:I wouldn't be interested unless it was trackable. The cutout idea would be sweet, but remember that costs a lot more. A round coin is cheaper. The one I had made cost me $30 one time fee and then the coins are $2.90 each after that (see the aluminum geocoin thread). At a minimum MAGPI should have a bunch of those made. However, the ones that Wintz50 had made for KYOWVA Geocachers is a heavy duty coin with a standardized logo on the back...minimizing cost. Ask him where he had his made. He is selling them for $6 each and will have some available at Saturday's WWFM event in Charleston.

The punch adds cost (because multiple dies are used) but an irregular shape doesn't. Yeah - using a common back like thiers helps keep the cost down. I know where to get those. I think one goal would be to keep this under $10 including shipping. We were able to do that with the WV coin and that included tracking. I don't know that we "should" have a bunch of anything made. Kind of depends more on whether or not we're going to sell them, just make them for folks on the site, how many versions we want, etc.
scoutingwv

Postby Frank n Beck on Sat May 02, 2009 7:58 pm

Would love to see this happen. I am definately not an artist, but would help with other aspects of the project. Black Nickel is our favorite, but also like all the others. Would rather they be trackable, but will go along with the majority vote. Our logo would look great I think solid or cut out.
Frank n Beck

Postby scoutingwv on Sun May 03, 2009 9:22 am

Saw some logs recently and it got me thinking of different versions ...

<rant>
Maybe we could make one that was marked as tradeable and worth all the swag in any cache at any time. Oh sure, it wouldn't be as valuable as a poker chip or wooden nickel or something ... but I bet we'd sell at least one. And wouldn't that make the investment worthwhile? Heck, this might even let people keep those uber-valuable chips and stuff in their swag bag and save them for the really good stuff. I mean, since it's supposed to be "trade up or trade even" we should probably make them from real gold. Or Platinum - yeah, platinum! No one's made a platinum coin yet. And that way you just know that one little bitty sig item would just have to be worth everything in the container. That way, when someone make the 100-1 item exchange at a cache you couldn't question that it was a fair trade.
</rant>
scoutingwv

Postby Lledier on Mon May 04, 2009 9:02 am

ROFL. How about Adamantium?

wait, are you trying to say that the pokerchips with stickers aren't as valuable as everything in the cache? :eek:
Lledier

Return to Geocoins