To stop a thief ...

Discuss geocoins, trackable or not

Moderator: Moderator

To stop a thief ...

Postby scoutingwv on Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:03 pm

This came up in the other current geocoin thread and I know it's been a topic on GC forums, too, but I thought I'd start the discussion for a more local group here.

How do you stop a geocoin thief?

Several coins have been placed in the area and gone missing. It has me ready to stop placing coins in the area. I'm ready to just find a cacher in another state and send them the coin to place in their area.

It may not seem like much to some, but these are personal property that someone has purchased. Sure, if you release a coin you take a chance on it going missing. But when there seems to be someone in the area that is specifically targeting caches with coins in them and taking them, how can you stop that? Also, I'm not just thinking of coins from locals - I'm thinking of any coins that move into the area as well.

Thoughts?
scoutingwv

Postby 89SC on Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:24 pm

I hate it when I place a coin belonging to someone else and it goes missing. I put that really cool England coin in "Water Under the Bridge" and it was gone in 2 days. I try to place coins in caches that aren't going to be found by accident or requires some work to get to. It has to be another cacher taking the coins, that's what's really bad :(
Growing Old is compulsory, Growing up is Optional!
89SC

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:38 pm

Because someone stole the Canadian Coin out of Hotspur's mission within 18 hours (probably less) of me "discovering" it there I pretty much refuse to release my coins in this area.

I took my South Tyrolean coin and released it in Michigan (or was it Indiana?) because I was afraid it would disappear here in town.

I feel bad for the local cachers who run out to get a cache so they can add a new icon (uh, yes, I would be among them) only to find out the coin is gone.

However, I wonder if the cold weather has slowed the theif down, because the SkinGuy coin that wvcoalcat put in Hotspur's Mission is still there (I checked two or three days ago).

I hate to disfigure the coins, because that takes away from the design.

So I didn't really answer your question, but added my opinion. :D
Sidekick LWB said to sidekick engineer, 'I've hung out with people i've met on the internet before but i've never run into any of them in the middle of the woods.' (Upper Yough Trek)

Buffaloes and tigers are one thing, but mustelids are not to be trifled with.
Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby wvhunter on Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:20 pm

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl wrote:I hate to disfigure the coins, because that takes away from the design.

I can understand this, but that may be the best way to go.

Coalcat and I released a combo AT geocoin/TB a few months back. We drilled a hole in the coin to attach the TB tag. We hope this will discourage any thief.

I also have an Idaho micro coin I would like to release and am going to also put a hole into it to attach an informational tag.

Only time will tell if this works or not.
Anatomy (n): something everyone has, but which looks better on a girl.

Life would be so much easier if we could just look at the source code.
wvhunter

Postby scoutingwv on Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:40 pm

wvhunter wrote:
Spotty Spotty Pony Girl wrote:I hate to disfigure the coins, because that takes away from the design.

I can understand this, but that may be the best way to go.
<snip>

Yeah, I've been considering this, too. Either way, there's still a jerk out there that's a thief. This may help when placing new coins, but I certainly wouldn't do this to someone else's that came into the area.

My other option is to simply sell my coins and I won't have to worry about what to do when releasing new ones. I think I've pretty much decided to do this for a few different reasons, anyway.
scoutingwv

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:46 pm

wvhunter wrote:Coalcat and I released a combo AT geocoin/TB a few months back. We drilled a hole in the coin to attach the TB tag. We hope this will discourage any thief.

I also have an Idaho micro coin I would like to release and am going to also put a hole into it to attach an informational tag.

Only time will tell if this works or not.

the part I forgot to mention in my post is that trying to put a hole in a coin would inevitably lead to a trip to the emergency room for me :o

So did you guys just use a drill bit designed for metal?

I can't imagine someone would be much interested in stealing a coin with a hole in it. Kinda hard to show off in one's collection and all.

I've seen a couple that had small disfigurements. Enough to be seen by the casual observer, so it would (I assume) but not desirable by a thief.

Perhaps I will lay in wait under the pine tree by Hotspur's MIssion until the coin thief comes. Then I will jump out and 1) scare him/her to death and then once the thief is paralyzed with fear I will 2) whap him/her soundly with my blue garmin (that's about all it is good for these days).
Sidekick LWB said to sidekick engineer, 'I've hung out with people i've met on the internet before but i've never run into any of them in the middle of the woods.' (Upper Yough Trek)

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby Rock_Rat on Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:09 pm

This makes me quite sick. You have to wonder what pleasure they get from this. They can't share them with the community at large or they would surly be found out very quickly. This brings me to the second thing that bothers me, chances are where not talking one person but also other cachers they share said coins with. For now I will collect coins I want and only release the occasional "cheap" coin and hope for the best.
Murphy was an optimist! - O'toole's commentary on Murphy's law
The perversity of the Universe tends towards a maximum. - O'Toole's Corollary
I think this O'Toole guys onto something. - Rock_Rat's commentary on O'Toole
Rock_Rat

Postby wvhunter on Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:24 pm

scoutingwv wrote:This may help when placing new coins, but I certainly wouldn't do this to someone else's that came into the area.

I totally agree. Putting a hole in a coin I release is one thing but I would never do that to anyone elses coin.
Anatomy (n): something everyone has, but which looks better on a girl.

Life would be so much easier if we could just look at the source code.
wvhunter

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:56 am

As I was looking at some geocoins I had an idea.

I have an engraving pen (well locating it is a totally different thing).

anyway, I was thinking that I might just put my initials on my coins. This would probably work easier on the ones that aren't enameled all over.

It would deface the coin enough to make it undesirable (I hope) but not put a hole through it and risk causing me injury.

Thoughts?

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby scoutingwv on Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:00 pm

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl wrote:As I was looking at some geocoins I had an idea.

I have an engraving pen (well locating it is a totally different thing).

anyway, I was thinking that I might just put my initials on my coins. This would probably work easier on the ones that aren't enameled all over.

It would deface the coin enough to make it undesirable (I hope) but not put a hole through it and risk causing me injury.

Thoughts?

The collector in me says "mark the edge of the coin". The part of me that's paid for coins says "mark the face".

Either way, they both seem to have found some common ground.
scoutingwv

Postby Rock_Rat on Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:39 pm

I say we hide a "trail camera" and put a valuable coin in an easy cache. Then when the thief comes we can catch his picture. We just need to make sure and be close by so when the police come we can rip off his rubber mask and show them who the monster really was. Wait I think that was last nights 80's cartoon discussion.
Murphy was an optimist! - O'toole's commentary on Murphy's law
The perversity of the Universe tends towards a maximum. - O'Toole's Corollary
I think this O'Toole guys onto something. - Rock_Rat's commentary on O'Toole
Rock_Rat

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:45 pm

scoutingwv wrote:The collector in me says "mark the edge of the coin". The part of me that's paid for coins says "mark the face".

Either way, they both seem to have found some common ground.

The part of me that enjoys aesthetically pleasing things agrees with you regarding the marking of the edge.

I think to be able to mark the edge in a way that even vaguely resembles the letters SSPG I would need a Big magnifying glass, some sort of coin holdy-thing and a steady hand.

I could probably procure the first two, the last one, not so much. Particularly since one must exert some pressure to use the engraving pen. My penmanship is not so good. :oops:

Anyone here an engraver? I know of a jeweler in Hershey that can accomplish very nice hand engraving on something about the thickness of a geocoin, I just don't think I want to pay for it!

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby The Gold Bug on Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:39 pm

I say we get a large have –a –heart trap, an irresistible geocoin, and some rotten fruits and vegetables. :twisted: Does anyone have an estimate of how many coins (dollar value) have been stolen? If we could prove who is doing it would they get anything more than a light slap on the wrist? I vote for an old-fashioned tar and feathering!
You’re just jealous because the little voices are talking to me!

I am out of my mind right now. Please feel free to leave a message.
The Gold Bug

Postby Andy_WV on Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:13 pm

I know this is an old thread, but is this really a problem in this area? I have been moving a few coins to the area. Should I aviod this? I was also wanting to purchase a few of my own to put into circulation. I am second gussing this thought also.
Andy_WV

Postby 89SC on Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:49 pm

It seems to have slowed way down though there is another coin missing from the Simpson Creek Covered Bridge. I tend to put coins in hard to get caches or multis. The coins seem to disappear from easy to get caches.
Growing Old is compulsory, Growing up is Optional!
89SC

Next

Return to Geocoins