Pathtags question

Discuss geocoins, trackable or not

Moderator: Moderator

Pathtags question

Postby wvhunter on Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:53 pm

Lately I seem to be seeing more and more pathtags in caches.

For those of you not in the know a pathtag is a personal coin-like item created by
They are a cross between a personal token and a geocoin and are trackable on the pathtag website.

My simple question put to the group is this:
Do you consider pathtags an item for trading, a moving item (IE:geocoins and TBs) or a collectible item (meaning, you find, you keep)?

Inquiring minds want to know.
Anatomy (n): something everyone has, but which looks better on a girl.

Life would be so much easier if we could just look at the source code.

Re: Pathtags question

Postby Rock_Rat on Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:50 am

I would have no problems swapping tokens for a path tag or trading one out of a cache. I see them in the same light as other personal tokens. They are nice and aren't the cheapest swag in the bag so I would suggest trading appropriately for them. I don't see them as a moving items simply because they aren't trackable on If I released a non trackable coin into a cache I would expect it would be traded out and collected, I see this as no different.
Murphy was an optimist! - O'toole's commentary on Murphy's law
The perversity of the Universe tends towards a maximum. - O'Toole's Corollary
I think this O'Toole guys onto something. - Rock_Rat's commentary on O'Toole

Postby scoutingwv on Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:12 am

I don't treat them as trade items. They're trackable and intended to be moved like a coin or travel bug. So, if I can help one move, I'll move it. IF not, I'll leave it.

Pretty neat designs on some of them, too.

Postby familyfrog on Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:47 am

We came across one pathtag this summer in Michigan. We viewed it similar to a trackable coin or TB, and moved it to a cache in Wisconsin. If I remember correctly, the pathtag website was a b* to use, but we did our best to indicate where we left the pathtag.

Postby scoutingwv on Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:24 pm

familyfrog wrote:<snip> If I remember correctly, the pathtag website was a b* to use, but we did our best to indicate where we left the pathtag.

I believe you remember correctly. That site is just as you describe (at least it was the last time I was there).

Postby wvangler on Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:48 am

I've noticed a few cachers with safety pins on their cache bags holding misc pathtags. I asked them about it and they were confident in their decisions to keep the pathtags as momentos. Some have even told me that they contacted the pathtag owners and were told to keep the pathtags if they wanted, even encouraged them to keep their personal pathtag. I know that if I ever get around to having the disposable income to make some pathtags I'd prefer that people kept them. I think it is more interesting to know that cachers, particularly those cachers I know, might have one of my personal pathtags pinned to their backpack. For the record, though, I've never kept a pathtag.

Food for thought. I do agree that the website is a PIA to use. I personally quite moving pathtags because of that. I normally don't bother them at all when I see them now.
Indecision is the key to flexibility.

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:49 pm

the website is a PIA to use which is why I generally don't fall all over myself to grab one from a cache to move on.

I did notice at geowoodstock that folks were trading them like regular sig items. I know Zoie the GeoPup has her own pathtag :grin:
Sidekick LWB said to sidekick engineer, 'I've hung out with people i've met on the internet before but i've never run into any of them in the middle of the woods.' (Upper Yough Trek)

Buffaloes and tigers are one thing, but mustelids are not to be trifled with.
Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Return to Geocoins