Discuss geocoins, trackable or not

Moderator: Moderator

what do you do with coins and tb's that dont have tracking#

Postby wvhunter74 on Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:57 pm

I have 2 in my colection now and have no clue how to log them
wvhunter74

Re: what do you do with coins and tb's that dont have tracking#

Postby scoutingwv on Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:04 pm

If there's no tacking number, you can't log them.

They may be personal sig items (poker chips, coins, wooden nickels, etc.)

What's on them? Have pics? Maybe we can help.
scoutingwv

Postby wvhunter74 on Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:34 am

I will send some picts this week to ya
wvhunter74

Postby Knight who says Ni on Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:16 am

One of those would be my fault. I dropped it into one of his caches and logged it. When he picked it up, no tracking number. We have no idea what occured in between. I am interested in what to do with these as well.
Adventure is a romantic name for trouble. ~Louis L'Amour
Knight who says Ni

Postby scoutingwv on Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:42 am

Knight who says Ni wrote:One of those would be my fault. I dropped it into one of his caches and logged it. When he picked it up, no tracking number. We have no idea what occured in between. I am interested in what to do with these as well.

Well, if they're not trackable then they are most likely personal trade items. Some may be metal coins (like mine - serial numbered but not trackable) or wooden nickels or poker chips. A lot of different items are personal sig items, but these are the ones that look most like coins. Treat them like any other piece of swag - trade even or trade up.

If an item is trackable, you don't have ot trade for it, but if you take it be sure to log it and move it toward it's goal as best you can.

If you have something you need help identifying you could post a pic here or send it to someone you think could help.
scoutingwv

Postby wvhunter74 on Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:23 pm

scoutingwv wrote:
Knight who says Ni wrote:One of those would be my fault. I dropped it into one of his caches and logged it. When he picked it up, no tracking number. We have no idea what occured in between. I am interested in what to do with these as well.

Well, if they're not trackable then they are most likely personal trade items. Some may be metal coins (like mine - serial numbered but not trackable) or wooden nickels or poker chips. A lot of different items are personal sig items, but these are the ones that look most like coins. Treat them like any other piece of swag - trade even or trade up.

If an item is trackable, you don't have ot trade for it, but if you take it be sure to log it and move it toward it's goal as best you can.

If you have something you need help identifying you could post a pic here or send it to someone you think could help.

they are both for sure tracable that I do know
wvhunter74

Postby Aquacache on Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:02 pm

wvhunter74 wrote:they are both for sure tracable that I do know

All geocoins trackable at gc.com have a six character tracking number etched into them, as do Travel Bug dog tags. I have seen TB's that the dog tag was missing and the tracking number was written on a piece of paper or engraved/scratched into the item itself (a certain bowling pin comes to mind :grin: ).

If you have something that you know for a fact is a TB that doesn't have the dog tag attached, send an e-mail to the owner and ask for the tracking number. Then print out the info sheet (click the link on the right side of the TB's web page) and write the tracking number on it and put the sheet and the TB in a zip lock.

• I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

• I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make when they go flying by.
Aquacache

Postby wvhunter74 on Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:24 pm

Aquacache wrote:
wvhunter74 wrote:they are both for sure tracable that I do know

All geocoins trackable at gc.com have a six character tracking number etched into them, as do Travel Bug dog tags. I have seen TB's that the dog tag was missing and the tracking number was written on a piece of paper or engraved/scratched into the item itself (a certain bowling pin comes to mind :grin: ).

If you have something that you know for a fact is a TB that doesn't have the dog tag attached, send an e-mail to the owner and ask for the tracking number. Then print out the info sheet (click the link on the right side of the TB's web page) and write the tracking number on it and put the sheet and the TB in a zip lock.

The coin says trackable at geocaching.com but no number and the other was a tb but the tag itself is missing and all the other stuff was left in the bag in one of my caches
wvhunter74

Postby Troutbum1 on Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:51 pm

Look on the rim of the coin. I have seen a few with the tracking number there. It's very small, usually need some kind of magnification to read it.
Hope this helps.

Troutbum1
Any River, Any Time
Troutbum1

Postby Aquacache on Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:46 pm

Yeah, I've seen more than one coin that I needed a magnifying glass to read the numbers (not really surprising since I'm half blind at times). If it's trackable, the numbers are there somewhere.

For the TB, send an e-mail to the owner to get the tracking number.

• I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

• I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make when they go flying by.
Aquacache

Postby scoutingwv on Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:44 am

wvhunter74 wrote:The coin says trackable at geocaching.com but no number and the other was a tb but the tag itself is missing and all the other stuff was left in the bag in one of my caches

In lieu of a picture, what else is on the coin? A name, picture, date, colors, shape, other words anywhere?

Without a TB tag, how do you know the other item is a TB? Does any of that info help you locate the owner to get the number as Aquacache described above?
scoutingwv

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:46 am

Aquacache wrote:Yeah, I've seen more than one coin that I needed a magnifying glass to read the numbers (not really surprising since I'm half blind at times). If it's trackable, the numbers are there somewhere.

For the TB, send an e-mail to the owner to get the tracking number.

Half blind, lame...what's next?

I've also come across a coin or two where the number had been blacked out with a marker.took a while to figure that one out.
Sidekick LWB said to sidekick engineer, 'I've hung out with people i've met on the internet before but i've never run into any of them in the middle of the woods.' (Upper Yough Trek)

Buffaloes and tigers are one thing, but mustelids are not to be trifled with.
Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby wvhunter74 on Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:14 am

Without a TB tag, how do you know the other item is a TB? Does any of that info help you locate the owner to get the number as Aquacache described above?

It is showing it listed in my cache I found it in and when you go to the tb page it shows pictures of it
wvhunter74

Postby scoutingwv on Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:31 am

wvhunter74 wrote:It is showing it listed in my cache I found it in and when you go to the tb page it shows pictures of it

Excellent - that will help you locate the owner and create a "replacement" for the tracking number.
scoutingwv

Postby wvhunter74 on Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:52 pm

scoutingwv wrote:
wvhunter74 wrote:It is showing it listed in my cache I found it in and when you go to the tb page it shows pictures of it

Excellent - that will help you locate the owner and create a "replacement" for the tracking number.

I have already sent them a cpl of e-mails and no reply
wvhunter74

Next

Return to Geocoins