Self tracking Geocoin?

Discuss geocoins, trackable or not

Moderator: Moderator

Self tracking Geocoin?

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:08 am

this could limit the # of geocoins that go MIA...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070111/ap_ ... /spy_coins
Sidekick LWB said to sidekick engineer, 'I've hung out with people i've met on the internet before but i've never run into any of them in the middle of the woods.' (Upper Yough Trek)

Buffaloes and tigers are one thing, but mustelids are not to be trifled with.
Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Orders anyone?

Postby wvhunter on Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:24 pm

I'll take a half dozen!!!
Anatomy (n): something everyone has, but which looks better on a girl.

Life would be so much easier if we could just look at the source code.
wvhunter

Postby Aquacache on Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:39 pm

Would you believe that I went from reading that article directly to reading this thread? What are the odds! :D I actually have a hollow quarter ... now I just have to get the transmitter to go in it. I do like the self-tracking geocoin idea!

• I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

• I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make when they go flying by.
Aquacache

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:26 pm

Aquacache wrote:Would you believe that I went from reading that article directly to reading this thread? What are the odds! :D I actually have a hollow quarter ... now I just have to get the transmitter to go in it. I do like the self-tracking geocoin idea!

Only you would have a hallow coin in your possession...I also bet you have a tiny transmitter somewhere......because you are a total geek - but that's a quality I tend to like :kilt:
Sidekick LWB said to sidekick engineer, 'I've hung out with people i've met on the internet before but i've never run into any of them in the middle of the woods.' (Upper Yough Trek)

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby Aquacache on Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:59 pm

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl wrote:Only you would have a hallow coin in your possession...I also bet you have a tiny transmitter somewhere......because you are a total geek - but that's a quality I tend to like :kilt:

Actually, my hollow coin is for a coin trick. Aside from all of the other things I get into half-assed, I also used to do a lot of card tricks and slight-of-hand stuff. Never was very good at any of it. I didn't use the hollow quarter very much because I don't really care for the tricks that require props; kinda tough when someone says, "Do it again!" ... and they always do.

"Uh, sure ... I'll do it again. Just go away and come back in five minutes after I've set it up again." :roll:

• I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

• I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make when they go flying by.
Aquacache

Re: Self tracking Geocoin?

Postby 3_dogs on Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:05 am

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl wrote:this could limit the # of geocoins that go MIA...

What about keeping one in the pocket of cachers that tend to get themselve into trouble, or get lost. Makes search and rescue work much easier, but could put some bloodhounds in the unemployment line.
"Är huvudet dumt får kroppen lida."

Translated - "If the head is dumb the body suffers."
3_dogs

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:36 pm

3_dogs wrote:

What about keeping one in the pocket of cachers that tend to get themselve into trouble, or get lost. Makes search and rescue work much easier, but could put some bloodhounds in the unemployment line.

for someone who always forgets to "mark the car" it would be a good option for me. The only time the car is marked is when there are parking coords to go with it!

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby The Gold Bug on Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:28 pm

3_dogs wrote:

Backpackers and mountaineers already have access to an emergency beacon. The only catch is that the person being rescued gets a huge bill for pushing the button. That could get costly for some of us! :shock:
You’re just jealous because the little voices are talking to me!

I am out of my mind right now. Please feel free to leave a message.
The Gold Bug

Return to Geocoins