Tortoise & The Hare Great TB Race

Discuss Geocaching.com Travel Bugs

Moderator: Moderator

Tortoise & The Hare Great TB Race

Postby wvangler on Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:51 pm

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=2316666

After a LONG wait on my brother to get the cache he wanted set out and published, our race is finally on. It will have a points system for achieving certain tasks. The intermediate tasks include:

- Be dropped in a cache 20 miles or less from the Atlantic Ocean
- Be dropped in a cache 20 miles or less from the Pacific Ocean
- Be dropped in a cache 20 miles or less from the Gulf of Mexico
- Be dropped in a cache within the Rocky Mountains

Then the bugs must return to their competitor's starting cache. In my case, my bug must return to my brother's "Polerized" cache in Charlotte, NC and his must return to my Natural Bridge cache near I-79 in Roane County.

Rules: http://wvmountainsport.wordpress.com/2009/08/17/the-tortoise-the-hare-great-travelbug-race-2009/

Of course there are penalties for being dropped in any cache with a Virginia Tech, Pitt, U. Michigan or Ohia State theme. Bonus points awarded for visits to caches with a Monty Python theme.

So all that said, our race starts on Thursday, January 14 as I will be dropping off my TB at the Natural Bridge on that day. I have already arranged for a jettison from that cache. My question to MAGPI is if any of you plan to be heading in the general direction of any of these areas in the next couple o' months?
Indecision is the key to flexibility.
wvangler

Re: Tortoise & The Hare Great TB Race

Postby thebuddhaman on Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:10 pm

i spend 2 weeks a month in or around the gulf of mexico
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

We didn't inherit this world for our parents.... We borrow it from our children
thebuddhaman

Postby wvangler on Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:54 am

Groovy. When is your next trip planned and how close do I need to arrange to get the bug to you? The race starts tomorrow and I'll be taking a new caching chum along to place it...and subsequently he will grab it and place it according to my plans. :cool: We are going as far north on Thursday as Flatwoods, but I can attempt to get it to Morgantown area. I can only move it once without penalty so I wonder if I should burn my 'get out of jail free card' right out of the gate?
wvangler

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:57 am

wvangler wrote:Groovy. When is your next trip planned and how close do I need to arrange to get the bug to you? The race starts tomorrow and I'll be taking a new caching chum along to place it...and subsequently he will grab it and place it according to my plans. :cool: We are going as far north on Thursday as Flatwoods, but I can attempt to get it to Morgantown area. I can only move it once without penalty so I wonder if I should burn my 'get out of jail free card' right out of the gate?

I can get the TB up to thebuddhaman. I'll be in Charleston Weds & Thursday, heading home Thursday. I can grab it in the general vicinity of Flatwoods if you put it in a cache that does not involve a giant hike as I'll be solo.
Sidekick LWB said to sidekick engineer, 'I've hung out with people i've met on the internet before but i've never run into any of them in the middle of the woods.' (Upper Yough Trek)

Buffaloes and tigers are one thing, but mustelids are not to be trifled with.
Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby wvangler on Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:09 pm

I will (have him) put it in Braxton Almost WMA if SSPG will stop and get it. It isn't far from Flatwoods. We'll have it in there by no later than 11 am in the morning.
wvangler

Postby wvangler on Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:10 pm

buddhaman, do you spend 2 weeks every month around the Gulf or you will be going to the Gulf in 2 weeks?
wvangler

Postby thebuddhaman on Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:53 pm

i spend 2 weeks every month, i run from around vicksburg,ms to the gulf and back for the 2 weeks
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

We didn't inherit this world for our parents.... We borrow it from our children
thebuddhaman

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:03 pm

wvangler wrote:I will (have him) put it in Braxton Almost WMA if SSPG will stop and get it. It isn't far from Flatwoods. We'll have it in there by no later than 11 am in the morning.

I am so on it. Won't be leaving charleston until after lunch
Sidekick LWB said to sidekick engineer, 'I've hung out with people i've met on the internet before but i've never run into any of them in the middle of the woods.' (Upper Yough Trek)

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby wvangler on Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:41 am

thebuddhaman wrote:i spend 2 weeks every month, i run from around vicksburg,ms to the gulf and back for the 2 weeks

SWEET! My brother is gonna have to change his pants after seeing the jump the turtle is gonna get. The trash talking will commence in 10...9...8...
wvangler

Postby scoutingwv on Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:02 pm

Have an office in Colorado, not sure when my next trip is, though. Will be in Naples Florida around the end of March.
scoutingwv

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:36 pm

TB is in my possession.

I'll log it shortly

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby wvangler on Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:39 am

Awesome.
wvangler

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:45 am

and by shortly I mean when I find which of my 30+ bags of carp I stuffed it in upon retrieval.

today is going to be a LONG day.

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby smithdk on Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:30 pm

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl wrote:and by shortly I mean when I find which of my 30+ bags of carp I stuffed it in upon retrieval.

today is going to be a LONG day.

Wow that is a lot of fish. :lol: I hope the bug doesn't smell too bad after being in the bag.
smithdk

Postby wvangler on Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:03 am

Buddhaman, you rock buddy. I owe you a cold one.
wvangler

Next

Return to Travel Bugs