June B&W Night / Day / Roving Fiasco....

A place to plan and discuss the monthly get togethers.

Moderator: Moderator

Re: June B&W Night / Day / Roving Fiasco....

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:18 pm

pbump wrote:OK, KWSN- so just what fine establishments are we considering thus far? Some things we look forward to very early!

yeah, where's the beer?

ps. everytime I see the subject that I came up with I somehow get tricked into thinking it reads "Roving Disco" and I think, "Huh, what the heck is that all about?"
Sidekick LWB said to sidekick engineer, 'I've hung out with people i've met on the internet before but i've never run into any of them in the middle of the woods.' (Upper Yough Trek)

Buffaloes and tigers are one thing, but mustelids are not to be trifled with.
Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby wvhunter74 on Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:10 pm

there is alot of places around charleston if you need planing help knight let me know im 45 min south of there
wvhunter74

Postby Knight who says Ni on Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:01 am

wvhunter74 wrote:there is alot of places around charleston if you need planing help knight let me know im 45 min south of there

Thanks '74. I just may do that. I'm in Charleston every day for work anyway though. At least this gives me something fun to do! :grin:

As for locations, there are many! I know one requirement is LOTS of beer. :goodbeer: Any others? We can go traditional American; there is a great Mexican restaurant in Kanawha City (Aquacache and I know how SSPG loves her Mexican!). There is no BW2 here, sorry. We have an Outback Steakhouse and a Bennigan's. Both are really good, but are in Town Center which means paid parking. I don't recommend the local Applebee's. The food is good, but service sucks.
Adventure is a romantic name for trouble. ~Louis L'Amour
Knight who says Ni

Postby Rock_Rat on Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:27 am

One thing that goes over well are local hole in the wall type places.
Murphy was an optimist! - O'toole's commentary on Murphy's law
The perversity of the Universe tends towards a maximum. - O'Toole's Corollary
I think this O'Toole guys onto something. - Rock_Rat's commentary on O'Toole
Rock_Rat

Postby scoutingwv on Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:18 am

hmmmm ... is Joey's still open around Capitol Street?

At some point I have to stop at Blossom's, too.
scoutingwv

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:35 am

hey...why don't we go to The Vault :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Sidekick LWB said to sidekick engineer, 'I've hung out with people i've met on the internet before but i've never run into any of them in the middle of the woods.' (Upper Yough Trek)

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby Knight who says Ni on Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:29 pm

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl wrote:hey...why don't we go to The Vault :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Or what about the Red Carpet? :grin: That might not be a bad idea. Since it's warm, we could sit outside. The food is good and drinks are plenty. Plus it is definitely a hole in the wall kind of place! The only drawback would be parking. We would need to car pool or be prepared to walk. If everyone is willing to stagger back, we can park at my office. No one will be here on a Saturday!

Mike-Joey's burned a few years ago. There is a slot parlour now in that location. Blossom has great milkshakes. I don't think they offer much in the way of booze though....
Knight who says Ni

Postby Knight who says Ni on Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:22 pm

Ok, An update on the food. I have been told that the Red Carpet only serves food on Thursday nights-odd, but true. I have heard of two other potential places: Admiral's Anchor and Quaker Steak and Lube.

Admiral's Anchor is a hole in the wall place on the river which is casual and has beer, but only domestic. A couple of friends say the place is good, but I've never been there. I will try it this week. They are said to have great pizza. One friend ate there after playing softball all day so I don't think after caching attire would be a problem. :grin:

For those who are not familiar with it, Quaker Steak and Lube is a chain primarily known for their wings. On Thursdays they have Bike Night. I've never been there because I was scared of eating at a place with 'lube' in the name. :eek: Just for you guys, I will try this one too. Maybe when SSPG comes to town next week, she will brave the place with me.

I also have a couple of suggestions for caching. If everyone is just looking for numbers, a couple of cachers at Milton have posted a series of 10 caches in two different locations. They call them gas savers. The first series begins with GC1D1E7, the Mud River caches. The second series begins with GC1D0WP, the Ridge Series.

We can do these or go for one (or two) really difficult cache(s). I can dig these up easily too. Let me know what you guys want!
Knight who says Ni

Postby pbump on Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:38 pm

QSL also has most tasty onion rings, served stacked vertically on an antenna.....also have several wing sauces. May well be a very hopping place, though.
“It's faster horses, younger women, older whiskey and more money.” Tom T. Hall
"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow." Nanook's Mamma

"Corripe Cervisiam"

pbump

Postby Aquacache on Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:25 am

pbump wrote:QSL also has most tasty onion rings, served stacked vertically on an antenna.....also have several wing sauces. May well be a very hopping place, though.

And their lunch buffet is good, too. :eat:

edit: typo
Last edited by Aquacache on Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

• I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

• I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make when they go flying by.
Aquacache

Postby pbump on Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:36 am

Quality chicken wings on an all-you-can-eat lunch buffet - who'd a thunk it. Yeah, me like.
“It's faster horses, younger women, older whiskey and more money.” Tom T. Hall
"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow." Nanook's Mamma

"Corripe Cervisiam"

pbump

Postby wvhunter74 on Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:14 pm

My vote is for quaker steak and lube their food is great the gas saving series you would spend most of the time in your car though and since your already traveling I say go for the hard ones to streach your legs
wvhunter74

Postby Knight who says Ni on Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:32 am

We seem to have a consensus on the Lube. :eek: SSPG and I will check it out when she comes down next week. I can talk with the manager then to make certain we have a table for a dozen dirty cachers on a Saturday night.

Wvhunter74 is the only reply I got for the cache ideas. What does everyone want-number or difficulty?
Knight who says Ni

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:23 pm

Knight who says Ni wrote:What does everyone want-number or difficulty?

pertinent questions:

1. when are folks planning on arriving? Friday night or early Saturday
2. how long are folks staying?
3. gathering point? - possibly Coonskin
4. what time is Beer & Wings?

don't be shy...step up to the mic boys.....

SSPG Answers:
1. & 2. coming down Friday night, staying over and maybe not coming home until Way Too Early Sunday (unless I oversleep and have no hopes of making the road rally) there is room in the Mighty Vue for passengers who are willing to go with the flow.

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby ratjumper on Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:20 pm

I see as soon as I get out for good behavior :lol: to head out for a Thursday wing night, everything gets changed. UUUGGGHHHHH!!!!! :mad: This is so unfair :brickwall: ... And of course that weekend I will be out of state ( gonna try some caches again in NJ with girlfriend). I guess I shall have to wait and see if July's M&G is better in my favor... :chin:
Sniff Sniff. I think I smell a cache near by..... Oh Never mind..
ratjumper

PreviousNext

Return to Monthly Meet Ups