New Mega event

A place to list and discuss geocaching events.

Moderator: Moderator

New Mega event

Postby wvhunter on Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:05 pm

Greetings Fellow Geocachers!

I have exciting news to share with you regarding a special MEGA event that is coming to the Ohio Valley region for the very first time.

The Midwest Open Geocaching Adventure (MOGA) was started in 2004 as a small, friendly competition among local cachers in the St. Louis area. Since then it has grown into the world’s largest geocaching competition. The 2012 event attracted more than 1,000 people. MOGA 2014 will be held March 28-30 in Athens, Ohio. This is the first time MOGA has been held this far east and the decision was made to do so to attract new participants and expand the scope of the event.

What is MOGA? The main event is a timed competition where cachers race each other trying to find as many of 40 orienteering punches as possible within a 2.5-hour timeframe. These punches are all hidden within a state park, so the event is done entirely on foot. In addition, all punches are associated with real caches and competitors will be able to log their finds on Geocaching.com. There are two separate competitions (with separate competition areas) – an individual competition conducted in the morning and a 2- or 4-person team competition conducted in the afternoon. Award coins are given to the top three female and male finishers in three age group categories for each competition.

MOGA 2014 has been dubbed Geocaching: Impossible, which is a spy-based theme to be held on the campus of Ohio University and at Strouds Run State Park. All of our activities and swag will play off this theme. Please watch our announcement video on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Met6wEmXKZw) to get a sense of the event. A sequel video is currently in production.

While MOGA is based on the punch competitions, there will be many other activities occurring over a four-day span. Some of these include a Welcome to MOGA event (on March 27), a MOGA Mission Training event, a poker run (tentative), a MOGA Mission Kickoff event and costume competition, a Codebreaker’s Challenge (a puzzle competition for those who do not wish to participate in the physical competition), and Kid’s MOGA Central plus lots of new caches. We also anticipate a wide variety of vendors offering lots of caching-related items.

Keep up with MOGA 2014 via the following:
 The MOGA 2014 event page on Geocaching.com (http://coord.info/gc491r5)
 Visit the official MOGA website at http://www.mogageo.com
 The MOGA Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/MOGAgeo

Will you accept the mission? If so, we encourage you to post a Will Attend log (or watch us) on the GC.com event page and like our Facebook page. If you need additional information, please contact us at mailto:MOGA2014.Director@gmail.com.

Sincerely,
Robert L. (Lenie) Holbrook, Jr. (aka illinitrekker)
MOGA 2014 Director
Anatomy (n): something everyone has, but which looks better on a girl.

Life would be so much easier if we could just look at the source code.
wvhunter

Re: New Mega event

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:29 am

You didn't ask the important question that was just left hanging out there. Anyone going?
Sidekick LWB said to sidekick engineer, 'I've hung out with people i've met on the internet before but i've never run into any of them in the middle of the woods.' (Upper Yough Trek)

Buffaloes and tigers are one thing, but mustelids are not to be trifled with.
Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby Wintz on Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:10 am

Right now I am planning on going.
--wintz50
Wintz

Postby Handyman & Fam on Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:18 am

I'm planning on going.
Handyman & Fam

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:09 pm

I'm contemplating it. But that seems like eons away.

Although if we don't have a big thaw soon, I'm just calling it quits and moving to Arizona.
Sidekick LWB said to sidekick engineer, 'I've hung out with people i've met on the internet before but i've never run into any of them in the middle of the woods.' (Upper Yough Trek)

Buffaloes and tigers are one thing, but mustelids are not to be trifled with.
Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Return to Geocaching Events