MAGPIs Monongalia County Geotrail planning

A place to list and discuss geocaching events.

Moderator: Moderator

MAGPIs Monongalia County Geotrail planning

Postby wvhunter on Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:53 am

-------------------------------------------------

We have two upcoming events and are going to need plenty of help to make them both a success.

FIRST EVENT

Coordinators: myself and wvhiker222. We will handle overall planning but are looking for volunteers to handle the various sub-sections. As usual, any ideas or input from fellow cachers is very very welcome. Feel free to contact us or to just add comments and/or questions here.

Name: MAGPIs Monongalia County Geotrail
Kickoff Date: Friday, July 10, 2015
Kickoff Location: TBD (possibly downtown or somewhere with nearby eateries, shops, etc.)
Kickoff Time: TBD (depends on location)

1. Cache Locations
We have the support of the Monongalia County Commission with our main contacts being, Tom Bloom, Commissioner and Anthony “Jambie” Giambrone.
The county will choose/approve 15 locations for caches, locations that will be historical, scenic, educational or have some other significance to Monongalia County.
I also hope that the county might be able to supply a paragraph or two on the significance of each cache location.

Three parks that will definitely have caches will be:
Mason-Dixon Historical Park http://www.masondixonhistoricalpark.com/index.html
Camp Muffly 4-H Camp http://monongalia.ext.wvu.edu/monongalia_county_4_h_and_youth_services/camp_muffly
Chestnut Ridge Park http://www.chestnutridgepark.com/

Two of the above parks already have caches and either new caches will be placed or we will somehow recycle current caches.

If you have ideas for cache locations please say so, especially if they are in the western part of the county. (Blacksville, Core, Daybrook, etc. I don’t know of too many historical sites to the west and would love to find some new ones.)

2. Cache Containers
a. I’ve found lock-n-lock containers at Wal Mart that will suit our purposes.
b. Each lock-n-lock will be placed in a bird house shaped outer container. These boxes will need to measure approximately 7” wide by 5 “deep by 10” tall in the front and 11-12” in the back to provide a sloping roof that will be hinged in the back. The boxes will be painted green and have the geocaching.com logo and the Monongalia County seal on the front panel. A small three digit combination lock will be placed on the front of the roof. The three digit code WILL be listed on each cache page. These WILL NOT be puzzle caches. The reason for the locks is to provide a little protection from muggles.
c. On the inside of the roof would be the secret word needed to prove your find.

3. Swag
We are NOT looking to use the normal dollar store things. We want volunteers to contact the local Chamber of Commerce, the Morgantown Main Street Association, local businesses and anyone else they can think of to gather swag that relates to Monongalia County and local businesses. Typical marketing items that businesses give out all the time would work out fine. Pens, pencils, refrigerator magnets, letter openers, key chains, etc. We can also use any and all coupons businesses might have.
The more swag I have then the better I can keep the caches full.

4. 300-350(?) Booklets/passports
We were thinking about something smaller than usual. A nice pocket sized book, glossy cover, a page or two on the history of Monongalia County, 15 additional pages, each page containing coordinates and information on each cache location and a final page for the cacher to fill in the secret words.

5. 300-350(?) trackable geocoins as a reward for getting all 15 caches. The back of the geocoin would have the Monongalia County seal and volunteers would have to come up with a design for the front.

6. Kickoff would be on Friday night but cachers will NOT be able to claim gecoins that night. The first chance cachers will have will be on Saturday, July 11 at The 10th Meat-n-Greet at Coopers Rock AFTER 3:00 PM.

NOTE: We will NOT give out any geotrail geocoins before 3PM. NO EXCEPTIONS. The main reason being that we don't want to interfere with the days activities going on for the 10th anniversity of the Great Meat-n-Greet! The first part of the day will be exclusively for the M&G event. IE, food, games, gathering, etc.

NOTE 2: Seeing that this will be a geotrail weekend AND the 10th anniversary for our Coopers Rock event, the event on Saturday will be larger and take more effort than usual. But that will be covered in another thread.
After the Saturday event we hope, with the counties help, to get permission to have the passports and geocoins available at the Hotel Morgan on High St.

Checklist: information/volunteers/cost estimates needed as follows:

1. Cache Locations
15 TBD – by Monongalia County

2. Containers
20 lock-n-locks – 15 caches and 5 spares - est. $4.00 each for a total of $80.00
20 outer boxes – 15 boxes and 5 spares – What the cost to make these might be. Wood, hinges, paint, lock hinges, locks, various straps to attach boxes to tree, fences, etc.

3. Geocoins
Number of geocoins to match number of passports
Design and get an estimate

4. Swag
Collect from local businesses/establishments

5. Booklets/passports
Get location information

6. Kickoff location
Ideas?

I have also been told by Knight Who Says Ni that the county might be eligible for a state grant to pay for the geotrail expenses. Anyone who volunteers for a section where we need an estimate needs to post their estimate as soon as they have one. The sooner we can get something put together for the county to submit to the state the better.

Thanx in advance for any and all help you can provide. This project, in addition to our Coopers Rock event, can and, most likely will, turn out to be much larger than we anticipate.

The second event will be the "10th Great MEAT n Greet at Cooper Rock".
I will start a thread for that event but only after this years "9th Great MEAT n Greet at Cooper Rock" is complete.

wvhunter

Re: MAGPIs Monongalia County Geotrail planning

Postby arealwhit on Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:28 am

I would love to help out by making birdhouses. Let me know if you have specs or if I should make them based on your posted description. More than happy to submit plans before proceeding, seeing how all my tools are in storage in wvcachers3's garage.
arealwhit

Postby wvhunter on Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:48 am

Checklist: information/volunteers/cost estimates needed as follows:

1. Cache Locations
15 TBD – by Monongalia County

2. Containers
20 lock-n-locks – 15 caches and 5 spares - est. $4.00 each for a total of $80.00
20 outer boxes – 15 boxes and 5 spares – What the cost to make these might be. Wood, hinges, paint, lock hinges, locks, various straps to attach boxes to tree, fences, etc.
First estimate from wvhiker222:
:new: As for the price to build the bird houses. I figure about $20 each, I figure $400 (20 birdhouse @ $20ea). That's for 15 birdhouses initially and 5 spare for replacements.

3. Geocoins
Number of geocoins to match number of passports
This was the first estimate I got from Oakcoins.
:new:
Description Qty Rate Total
1.5 Inch 3mm Custom Coins 300 2.25 675.00
(250-499)
2D Die Fee Cost Per Side 2 70.00 140.00
Edge Text 300 0.25 75.00

Laser Engraving Cost Per Coin 300 0.30 90.00
Groundspeak Tracking Codes 300 1.50 450.00

Shipping and Handling Charge 1 100.00 100.00
Out-of-state sale, exempt from sales tax 0.00% 0.00

Total $1,530.00

Thank you for letting Oakcoins quote your project. Quotes may be readjusted
following final approval of artwork. Please contact your sales reprentative with any
questions that you have regarding this price quote. If you would like to make sample
coins before going to full production let us know and we can provide you with pricing.
Our quotes are valid for 30 days. Please be aware that securing permission for the
use of trademarks or copyrighted material is the responsibility of the customer.

4. Swag
Collect from local businesses/establishments

5. Booklets/passports
Get location information

6. Kickoff location
Ideas?
Anatomy (n): something everyone has, but which looks better on a girl.

Life would be so much easier if we could just look at the source code.
wvhunter

Postby wvhunter on Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:54 am

arealwhit wrote:I would love to help out by making birdhouses. Let me know if you have specs or if I should make them based on your posted description. More than happy to submit plans before proceeding, seeing how all my tools are in storage in wvcachers3's garage.

I love the idea of invading wvcachers3 garage! Imagine a gaggle of Magpi all gathered trying to get 20 birdhouses assembled! :eek:

I have a mock up I threw together using foam board just to get an idea as to size needed for the lock-n-locks. When I get home today I'll post a quick pick and the measurements I got.

wvhunter

Postby wvhunter on Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:02 am

FYI everyone, Captain OCD is NOT in the house.

I purposely set the date for this kickoff to match the 10th anniversary of our annual Coopers Rock event. That gives us well over a year to put everything in place.
No rush at all.

Our first step is to get all of the cost estimates. Then we can write up a couple paragraph proposal that Mon. Co. can submit to the state. Hopefully then the county will qualify for a grant to cover said costs.

wvhunter

Postby wvhunter on Fri May 09, 2014 9:49 am

Just to put this out there, does anyone want to tackle designing the booklet?
Ideas to include:
15 pages, each detailing a cache location
1 page to collect the needed words/phrases
1 page with county history
Should use both the county and state logo/flag and maybe geocaching.com logo. GC.com logo usage guidelines
Pocket sized, maybe 3x5, instead of a large bulky pamphlet.

wvhunter

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:00 am

Thought I'd bump this thread since wvhunter and I have been throwing around locations in our spare time.

Suggestions are welcome, sometimes I get tunnel vision about what actually is IN Mon county! The location should have some sort of historical connection.
Sidekick LWB said to sidekick engineer, 'I've hung out with people i've met on the internet before but i've never run into any of them in the middle of the woods.' (Upper Yough Trek)

Buffaloes and tigers are one thing, but mustelids are not to be trifled with.
Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby wvhunter on Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:32 am

Here is a very rough first list of possible locations.
Also the possibility has been mentioned of using all three cache types, trad, multi & mystery. 5 of each. That would make it easier to use downtown locations where a trad just wouldn't be allowed or feasible.

ANY NEW IDEAS ARE WELCOME. ANY OR ALL OF THE FOLLOWING CAN BE DISCARDED.

The list will take them all over the county. And I mean all over.

1. Mason-Dixon Historical Park — Rt. 7, Core
2. Camp Muffly 4-H Camp — Rt. 76, 4-H Camp Rd.
3. Chestnut Ridge Park — Rt. 73/1

HISTORICAL:
4. Judge Frank Cox House
5. Harmony Grove Meeting House (if it it still there)
6. Metropolitan Theatre
7. Morgantown Wharf and Warehouse Historic District
8. Old Stone House
9. Seneca Glass Company Building
10. South Park Historic District
11. Monongalia County Courthouse

LOCAL INTEREST:
12. Daybrook Senior Center — Daybrook Rd., Rt. 218
13. Smithtown Community Center — Rt. 73 South
14. Triune Halleck Community Building — Halleck Rd., Rt. 79
15. Farmers Market on Spruce Street

wvhunter

Postby Colecops on Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:15 am

The cache I have at The Old Stone House is still available for this series.
~*COLECOPS*~

To find happiness you must endure some pain.
Colecops

Postby Groggamer on Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:15 am

My I suggest Scotts Run? Some interesting history there.

http://www.srsh.org/home/learn

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotts_Run,_West_Virginia

First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt also brought national attention to the Run. Roosevelt first toured the mine camps of the area in 1933, and returned several times, foraging long-term relationships. Following the first lady were media outlets and famous photographers such as Walker Evans, Marion Post Wolcott, and Ben Shahn. Eleanor Roosevelt’s involvement culminated in the relocation of a number of families at the resettlement community of Arthurdale in nearby Preston County.
“All is for naught, if an Angel pisses on your firelock” - Frederick the Great
Groggamer

Postby eightwednesday on Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:49 pm

Two places in Osage come to mind for possible cache placement: Scott's Run Settlement House (http://www.srsh.org/) and the Scott's Run Museum and Trail (https://www.facebook.com/ScottsRunMuseum). Further out, toward Blacksville, one at or near Clay-Battelle High School and related athletic fields may work? It'd be good to tie in the rich history of Scott's Run, I think sometimes the western tail of the county is forgotten about.
eightwednesday

Postby wvhunter on Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:03 pm

I think Scott's Run is a good idea.

And, I most definitely would like to have a few more places out in the western part of the county.

wvhunter

Postby Aquacache on Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:14 pm

I thought the county was going to come up with the locations. I'd think that they should at least be able to come up with some suggestions.

Here are a few locations to consider:

Easton Roller Mill
Lynch Chapel United Methodist Church
Old Watson Homestead House
Border Heroine Historical Marker
Henry Clay Iron Furnace (since the old cache is now gone)

• I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

• I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make when they go flying by.
Aquacache

Postby wvhunter on Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:38 pm

Aquacache wrote:I thought the county was going to come up with the locations. I'd think that they should at least be able to come up with some suggestions.

I haven't heard from them as to possible locations. I'll send them another email checking. I let them know we were starting to really work on this project.

Aquacache wrote:Henry Clay Iron Furnace (since the old cache is now gone)

I put a new cache up there over two weeks ago and am just waiting on the permit.

wvhunter

Postby WVcountrygurl on Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:15 am

Well, no one has stepped up for the booklet, so here goes. It is looking like 350 of them for a little under $400. I am going, hopefully in the next few days, to get a more accurate quote. I have been working on it a little, while waiting on the quote. I will update, as soon as I hear for sure. :smile:
WVcountrygurl

Next

Return to Geocaching Events