Monongahela National Park

Tell us whatever you're thinking about geocaching.

Moderator: Moderator

Monongahela National Park

Postby wvangler on Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:01 pm

If this happens, you could kiss geocaching goodbye in the MNF...

http://wvgazette.com/Outdoors/201111280116
Indecision is the key to flexibility.
wvangler

Re: Monongahela National Park

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:13 pm

I am somewhat confused by this quote

"The new park would offer visitors a unique ecology, the chance to see a wide variety of beautiful and rare birds, as well as historical battlefields and forts from the Civil War era..."

I say that because I'm pretty sure one is already able to see the unique ecology. That is not something changing the MNF (or parts thereof) into a national park would change.

this one I also find somewhat perplexing

"Recreational activities available to visitors could include hiking, biking, kayaking, skiing, horseback riding, rock climbing and spelunking."

Don't those recreational activities opportunities already exist within the area described in the article?

Do I understand correctly that instead of a properly executed WV Dept of Tourism marketing plan to let folks know about the wonders of the MNF (all that crazy ecology and Civil War stuff and hiking/biking/extreme outdoor fun) as it now stands, the idea is instead to have certain areas designated as a National Park to draw tourists?

Sounds like a lot of bureaucratic red tape and time wasting (also changing its designation to a National Park may not cost anything, but I'm pretty sure doing the survey isn't going to be free).

<sarcasm>P.S. last time I looked the State of West Virgina was in fact on the map. Heck, I even have a paper copy of the DeLorme Gazetteer to prove it. </sarcasm>
Sidekick LWB said to sidekick engineer, 'I've hung out with people i've met on the internet before but i've never run into any of them in the middle of the woods.' (Upper Yough Trek)

Buffaloes and tigers are one thing, but mustelids are not to be trifled with.
Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby BobnLinda on Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:03 pm

Rebranding part of the Mon NF as a National Park is not about tourism as SSPG noted very well in her post. It is about restricting public land use. We need to look at the mission statement of the NPS.

The National Park System
Caring for the American Legacy
"...to promote and regulate the use of the...national parks...which purpose is to conserve the scenery and the natural and historic objects and the wild life therein and to provide for the enjoyment of the same in such manner and by such means as will leave them unimpaired for the enjoyment of future generations."

Key words: regulate, unimpaired. Next the definition of a NP.

National Park: These are generally large natural places having a wide variety of attributes, at times including significant historic assets. Hunting, mining and consumptive activities are not authorized

Key words: hunting, consumptive activities, not authorized.

No hunting on thousands of acres of public land previously open to hunting! Possible regulation of ramp and ginseng harvesting. No MNF roads open seasonally. Plus many other possible restrictions.

The FS needs to fulfill or needs to be allowed to fulfill it's mission statement.

Mission
The mission of the USDA Forest Service is to sustain the health, diversity, and productivity of the Nation’s forests and grasslands to meet the needs of present and future generations

A NF is preferable to a NP. We need to revert to doing the most good for the most people for the longest period of time.

Senator Manchin will be hearing from me.
BobnLinda

Postby pbump on Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:58 pm

Hell hath no fury as a PO'd retired forester....

Very well put, Mr. Bob.
“It's faster horses, younger women, older whiskey and more money.” Tom T. Hall
"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow." Nanook's Mamma

"Corripe Cervisiam"

pbump

Postby BobnLinda on Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:05 pm

Check out Chris Lawrence's Metro News Outdoors column. Looks like the fight is on!

http://www.wvmetronews.com/outdoors.cfm ... ryid=49682

If you like the MNF and the freedom it allows us; you better speak up!

Still waiting for a response from Senantor Manchin's office to my email opposing the National Park. You can bet the name of the NP, should it come, will not be High Allegheny. It will more likely be the Robert C Byrd NP.
BobnLinda

Postby BobnLinda on Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:37 pm

Everyone needs to check out the Friends of Blackwater website. http://www.highalleghenynp.org/The powerpoint presentation they have on the site is interesting in that it raises a whole lot more questions as to what is really at stake. I'm not clear on what the preserve and heritage areas really are. It appears we have a National Park surrounded by a Preserve Area surrounded by a Heritage Area.Yet all these areas have nothing to offer that is not already available. What are they really after?
BobnLinda

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:52 am

It seems to me what the initiators of this are after is nothing more than Federal funds to drawn in tourism dollars.

Why the great State of West Virginia is not competent enough to market what we already have (and what many of us already know, love and enjoy) to the rest of the world on its own is beyond my comprehension.

Also, that presentation was not terribly informative. A jaded individual might assume that the creator hopes to win the simple folk with beautiful pictures and the clever use of $$$$$.
Sidekick LWB said to sidekick engineer, 'I've hung out with people i've met on the internet before but i've never run into any of them in the middle of the woods.' (Upper Yough Trek)

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby BobnLinda on Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:46 pm

Just need to keep this going.

Senator Manchin, I am basing my comments on three articles. Those articles are the news release on the National Park study that appeared in the Charleston Gazette on 11/28/11, the Friends of Blackwater powerpoint presentation from their website and your response to the negative reaction to the National Park study of 12/22/11 on the West Virginia Headline News and Talk Radio website.

First of all, in your response, you say the study is being done "at the request of my constituents". Since I live in north central West Virginia am I not also one of your constituents? Since I did not ask for this study am I a non-constituent? Who really ask for the National Park study? How many are actually your constituents?

Secondly, just how big and what is the make up of the proposed National Park? The Gazette article says "The proposed national park would include lands east of Elkins, north to the towns of Thomas and Davis, east to Petersburg and south to Seneca Rocks and Franklin. Friends of Blackwater indicated the core of the national park would be the Spruce Knob-Seneca Rocks National Recreation Area and the existing Wilderness Areas. Surrounded by a national park preserve made up of public lands surrounded by a heritage zone. Your response says "I ask the National Park Service to look at some of our state's natural treasures in and around Tucker County. More specifically, we were looking for a way to preserve the Blackwater Canyon for future generations to enjoy." It would appear that the proposed national park will be some where north of US250 as it bisects the Monongahela National Forest and include any and all Monongahela National Forest properties and a small portion of the George Washington National Forest.

Thirdly, will there be hunting on the National Park? In your response you say "I would never encourage, support, or vote for anything that would take away even one acre of land we are currently using for hunting and fishing in West Virginia." The Friends of Blackwater presentation indicates that hunting would be allowed in the national park preserve area. No mention is made of allowing hunting in the national park core area, which is an area of approximately 156,923 acres. Senator Manchin are you sure that you are not endorsing the closure of 156,923 acres of public land to hunting?

Senator Manchin, West Virginia does not need a National Park. We need to aggressively manage, using sound management practices, our public and private lands. If we do so, we will receive all the benefits espoused by the National Park designation and enjoy greater freedoms while doing so.
BobnLinda

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:50 pm

soooo....sidekick mentioned there has been some interesting backpedaling by Senator Manchin regarding his undying support of getting us West Virginians our very own National Park.

Here is an article regarding his letter to the National Park Service.

As always, since this is coming from a politician (who earlier stated his constituents wanted their very own National Park), I'll take it with a healthy pinch of salt.

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby BobnLinda on Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:45 pm

You can read Senator Manchin's letter to NPS Director Jon Jarvis.
Attachments
020312 Letter to NPS.pdf
(526.81 KB) Downloaded 249 times
BobnLinda

Postby BobnLinda on Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:50 pm

Ssenator Manchin ends National Park Study.

http://www.wvmetronews.com/outdoors.cfm ... ryid=51487
BobnLinda

Postby pbump on Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:47 pm

BobnLinda wrote:Ssenator Manchin ends National Park Study.

http://www.wvmetronews.com/outdoors.cfm ... ryid=51487

...be sure to read the reply from the national park dude- he wasn't going to promise ANYTHING. What he didn't say is as interesting as what he did.
“It's faster horses, younger women, older whiskey and more money.” Tom T. Hall
"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow." Nanook's Mamma

"Corripe Cervisiam"

pbump

Return to General Stuff