Question about caches in Pipestem State Park

Tell us whatever you're thinking about geocaching.

Moderator: Moderator

Question about caches in Pipestem State Park

Postby The VanDucks on Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:18 pm

Hello, I'm new to your forum. We live in Virginia but travel to Pipestem State Park near Hinton, WV every few years. We were so happy when geocaches were placed in the park several years ago. Our children and grandchildren enjoyed finding them with us on our last visit. We're going back to the park this summer for another family vacation, but I was sad to see that most of the caches in the park seem to be in the process of being archived. Does anyone know what might be going on? Are the WV state parks limiting geocaching?

I guess I'm hoping someone in that area might want to place some new caches in the park if it's still allowed! I wish we could help, but we live so far away and only get to that part of WV every few years.

If you can recommend any other caches in the general locality of Pipestem that would be suitable for a family search party ranging in age from toddler to 60'ish, please let me know which caches within 10 miles or so of the park might be possible; we don't want to climb cliffs or hike more than a mile or so. :smile:
The VanDucks

Re: Question about caches in Pipestem State Park

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:24 pm

Without looking at the cache page (I'm suffering a severe case of laziness today) I would hazard a guess that it has to do with the WV State Park policy that caches much be moved each year (someone please correct me if it is a longer period of time). Sometimes instead of relocating the caches, the owner will just archive them and thus open up the area for new caches.
Sidekick LWB said to sidekick engineer, 'I've hung out with people i've met on the internet before but i've never run into any of them in the middle of the woods.' (Upper Yough Trek)

Buffaloes and tigers are one thing, but mustelids are not to be trifled with.
Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby 89SC on Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:08 pm

There must be a new person in charge of enforcing the one year limit. I've been seeing a bunch of State Park caches being archived.
Growing Old is compulsory, Growing up is Optional!
89SC

Postby wvhunter on Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:36 am

89SC wrote:There must be a new person in charge of enforcing the one year limit. I've been seeing a bunch of State Park caches being archived.

It's still Maranda Vance. I just submitted two renewal applications and she was the person I dealt with.
Anatomy (n): something everyone has, but which looks better on a girl.

Life would be so much easier if we could just look at the source code.
wvhunter

Postby pbump on Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:34 pm

wvhunter wrote:
89SC wrote:There must be a new person in charge of enforcing the one year limit. I've been seeing a bunch of State Park caches being archived.

It's still Maranda Vance. I just submitted two renewal applications and she was the person I dealt with.

I just got my renewals back on 2 - and it is still Miranda - mailto:miranda.j.vance@wv.gov
“It's faster horses, younger women, older whiskey and more money.” Tom T. Hall
"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow." Nanook's Mamma

"Corripe Cervisiam"

pbump

Return to General Stuff