Anyone tried munzee.com

Tell us whatever you're thinking about geocaching.

Moderator: Moderator

Anyone tried munzee.com

Postby Sikada on Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:54 pm

Have any of you tried munzee.com? It is like geocaching but you use your smart phone and scan hidden QR Codes. you get points for finding them and get points if some one finds yours. There are not too many of them around here. I found my first one today and I plan on putting some of them out? just wondered if you all have heard of it.
Sikada

Re: Anyone tried munzee.com

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:17 am

There was a munzee card (is that the right word?) tucked in the hiding spot with a cache in Fairmont - Bargelohclan's First GC31ZH8. That's the only one I've seen. Although I have heard of some local cachers placing & playing munzee - although at this early hour I can't for the life of me remember who it was.
Sidekick LWB said to sidekick engineer, 'I've hung out with people i've met on the internet before but i've never run into any of them in the middle of the woods.' (Upper Yough Trek)

Buffaloes and tigers are one thing, but mustelids are not to be trifled with.
Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby WVKiwi on Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:36 pm

I have. Got pulled into the game about a month ago.

Verdict is still out on my long term opinion of it, but as a method of searching for something and avoiding some of the wonderfulness of summer (i.e. PI, ticks, chiggers, etc.) it's not bad. Seems to focus on earning points more than finding cool locations, but that depends a lot on who is placing. There's parking lots full of them beginning to appear in many parts of VA and MD, but in other areas they're much more sparse.

You "deploy" (i.e. place/hide) and "cap" (i.e. find) and earn points for each munzee (qrcode) captured.
WVKiwi

Postby Troopbiz on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:32 pm

I just started munzee and I love it!!!!!!!! I think we need to fill fairmont, morgantown, and clarksburg up with munzees. It would be really cool if magpi got into munzee!
Troopbiz

Postby WVKiwi on Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:46 pm

Troopbiz wrote:I think we need to fill fairmont, morgantown, and clarksburg up with munzees. It would be really cool if magpi got into munzee!

If I can finally break my MAGPI event curse and actually make it to Coopers Rock next weekend, I'm planning on dropping some munzees in Morgantown & Fairmont. :)
WVKiwi

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:59 am

so do most folks use their GC.com name as their munzee name?
Sidekick LWB said to sidekick engineer, 'I've hung out with people i've met on the internet before but i've never run into any of them in the middle of the woods.' (Upper Yough Trek)

Buffaloes and tigers are one thing, but mustelids are not to be trifled with.
Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby WVKiwi on Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:09 pm

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl wrote:so do most folks use their GC.com name as their munzee name?

Most I know do.
WVKiwi

Postby Troopbiz on Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:07 am

If you are thinking about joining munzee now is the best time to do it! Over two hundred munzees have been deployed around the Morgantown/Fairmont/Clarksburgh area! Also if we get enough magpi members playing we can start a Magpi clan to compete for special munzees. Check it out!
Troopbiz

Return to General Stuff