Call for Cachers - 9/21 - Cancelled

Tell us whatever you're thinking about geocaching.

Moderator: Moderator

Call for Cachers - 9/21 - Cancelled

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:18 pm

I'm hoping this makes sense. I know, I know. Saying that right out of the gate is pretty much a guarantee that what I'm about to write WON'T make any sense. But bear with me anyway.

On September 21 (no WVU home game) I'm targetting Rapid-Cache (GC1E44), which you may recall from Nuggie99's tremendous story here on MAGPI. This is cache is one of the 10 oldest (active) caches in WV. It's about a 3 hour drive from Morgantown to the put in area. This will be a canoe / kayak trip. Yes. In a boat. In water. Said boat type conveyances may be rented nearby. I'm sure sidekick & I will be making this an overnight trip because that's how we roll (lazily, we roll lazily).

However, if the river is down too much (the nice folks at the Canoe Rental place said if the River was 3 feet or above, it would be a nice float) I have a backup plan. Which means this will be a last minute decision.

Secondary Plan for September 21:
Head to the wilds of the Eastern Panhandle of WV to get that Zone of Civil War Caches - whatever Zone it is, 3 maybe? - and enjoy some of the devious caches WVTim has put out. If this plan comes to fruition, sidekick & I will be staying over so we can take our time and enjoy the caching.

All comers welcome, as usual. I'll post more details for each scenario as things get closer to the date.
Last edited by Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sidekick LWB said to sidekick engineer, 'I've hung out with people i've met on the internet before but i've never run into any of them in the middle of the woods.' (Upper Yough Trek)

Buffaloes and tigers are one thing, but mustelids are not to be trifled with.
Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Re: Call for Cachers - 9/21

Postby Aquacache on Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:46 pm

The canoe/kayak rental place nearby of which SSPG speaks is the Greenbrier River Campground. The projected trip will be from Ronceverte Island Park to Fort Spring and is about 8.5 miles. This section of the river is said to be "suitable for the adventurous novice and family trips when both parents have some canoeing experience."

For those that do not need to rent a canoe/kayak, the campground also supplies shuttle service for private boats.

The current water level is at 2.75' and the fine folks at the campground have said that the water level "should" be up in late September. But then again, it "should" have been down in July and it wasn't. So who knows where it will be by then. We'll keep an eye on the level.

• I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

• I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make when they go flying by.
Aquacache

Re: Call for Cachers - 9/21 - Cancelled

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:54 pm

Going to have to cancel this call for cachers.

A close friend of sidekick's family passed away and the memorial service will be the 21st. Obviously that trumps caching.
Sidekick LWB said to sidekick engineer, 'I've hung out with people i've met on the internet before but i've never run into any of them in the middle of the woods.' (Upper Yough Trek)

Buffaloes and tigers are one thing, but mustelids are not to be trifled with.
Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Re: Call for Cachers - 9/21 - Cancelled

Postby eightwednesday on Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:42 am

I'm really sorry for your loss. And while I know this trip is canceled, I wanted to put in my 2 cents...

I attempted Rapid Cache (but failed :( ) a few months back. I rented equipment, 4 traditional kayaks, from Greenbrier River Campground (we were also camping here, which I would strongly recommend, their tent sites are literally on the river. I forget what the water level was, but it wasn't very high. Husband's kayak flipped about a mile in from Ronceverte due to a cat fight between the river currents and at some point I was pinned in against a rock and took on a lot of water and started getting sucked downward. Our group had to beach several times to empty out boats of water--and only one of the four of us was a true novice. So I think their description of the river underplays it a little bit. We concluded that it'd probably be easiest to travel in a tube or inflatable kayak.

Bottom line: wear your life jacket, my husband would tell you to wear a helmet, make sure your foot pedals are adjusted properly, and bring any belongings in a dry box that is physically attached to your person.

And for as much as I'd like to give this cache a shot again, I'm not sure my husband is ever getting back into that river there ever again, haha.
eightwednesday

Return to General Stuff