Damp Containers Rant

Tell us whatever you're thinking about geocaching.

Moderator: Moderator

Damp Containers Rant

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:16 pm

I've got no problem going out and doing maintenance on my caches when the world has beat them down. That's part of being a good cache owner.

But oh my goodness it irks me something fierce when my perfectly good, still completely water tight Lock-n-Lock brand containers are soaked inside because someone didn't take the time to make sure the gasket was not covered in dirt or that the corner of the zip lock bag wasn't wedged between the container & the lid.

Sure, sure, I know stuff* happens but dang.

That being said, I'm grateful to cachers who mention in the log if the container / log is damp. If no one says it, I have no clue. And I am completely on board with being grossed out when you open up a cache and it's a water logged, soppy, rusty, grosstastic mess. I hate it too. And I don't want to leave a bad impression on any cacher, but especially a newbie.

Ok. I feel better now. Well, until I have to go over the hill to check on Snow's Hidey Hole, which has been reported wet. Sidekick is going along with me on that one since he hasn't found it yet.

*not the word I'd typically use, but I'm keeping it family friendly
Sidekick LWB said to sidekick engineer, 'I've hung out with people i've met on the internet before but i've never run into any of them in the middle of the woods.' (Upper Yough Trek)

Buffaloes and tigers are one thing, but mustelids are not to be trifled with.
Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Re: Damp Containers Rant

Postby ruanwv on Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:52 am

It is also interesting to note that the more difficult a cache is to find (multiple stages, difficult puzzle, difficult terrain, etc.) there seems to be much greater care given to the container by the cachers, even taking into account that they are not found as often.

I am still working on developing the perfect waterproof, Cacher proof and muggle proof container .... I'll let you know if I ever get it figured out :grin: .

On the other hand, if you create a puzzle cache so difficult that no one can figure it out, it doesn't matter what the container is :lol: !!!
"Errors, like straws, upon the surface flow; He who would search for pearls must dive below." RUANWV
ruanwv

Return to General Stuff