More reviewer problems

Tell us whatever you're thinking about geocaching.

Moderator: Moderator

More reviewer problems

Postby 89SC on Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:56 pm

Is it just me? I know I'm not very active anymore, I just try and maintain my caches but it seems like every time I try and place one or move one, I get into trouble with a reviewer. I had Benedum Family Home Revisited come up missing again. I disabled it, moved it to a new location on the property and now the reviewer, Doctor Teeth, won't let me enable it because it's too close to Bowstring Bridge. Never mind the fact that the two caches have been coexisting in the same locations for 8 years now. I got an exclusion when I placed the final for Bowstring Bridge in 2007. It was 303' from Benedum Family Home. The reviewer then gave an exclusion because you can't walk directly from one cache to the other. I took over Benedum from senior seekers by having the orginal cache archived and a new one placed under my name in 2011 after Senior Seekers contacted the City and said he could no longer maintain them because of health issues. It was moved slightly and was now 320' way from Bowstring. Again no problem. Now, I moved the cache even farther away from Bowstring at 400' and suddenly the cache is no longer able to be there according to Doctor Teeth. That cache has been there since 2005 in one form or another. Very frustrating.
Growing Old is compulsory, Growing up is Optional!
89SC

Re: More reviewer problems

Postby Handyman & Fam on Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:49 pm

Those proximity exceptions are extremely rare nowadays.
For what it's worth, a nicely worded email will get you further with a reviewer than a forum thread expressing your displeasure.
Handyman & Fam

Postby 89SC on Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:18 pm

The exclusion has been there for 8 years. I'm not trying to place a new cache. I'm just trying to enable one that's been there for 4 years. The reviewer hasn't answered my emails since the first one. I sent an appeal to Groundspeak. I'm starting to wonder if any of this is worth the hassle.
Growing Old is compulsory, Growing up is Optional!
89SC

Postby wvhunter on Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:10 am

I recently tried to place a new cache along Route 19 just north of Monongah. I found out it was only 440ish feet from a cache/stage on the rail trail. I didn't think this would be an issue due to the fact that the West Fork River was between the two locations. (Travel distance was 3+ mile of driving/walking to get from one to the other.)
Nope...too close.
After some cordial emails with the reviewer, I also did some research in the Groundspeak forums, it seems that Groundspeak is slowly changing the way they do business. The "guidelines" are slowly becoming "rules" and the reviewers are the ones expected to enforce them. No exceptions to the "guidelines" allowed.
As Groundspeak is a private company and I have absolutely no influence over them, I stopped worrying about it. My blood pressure is under control and I intend for it to stay that way.
Anatomy (n): something everyone has, but which looks better on a girl.

Life would be so much easier if we could just look at the source code.
wvhunter

Return to General Stuff