Sunday, April 9 - Burgettstown Rail Trail

Tell us whatever you're thinking about geocaching.

Moderator: Moderator

Sunday, April 9 - Burgettstown Rail Trail

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:57 pm

Hey Gang....Gentleman Carpenter suggested we go hit the rail trail up at Burgettstown, PA, for a non-strenuous day of talking, walking, and caching, followed by food.

For reference look at GC60HXB 50 PHT Pennsylvania Sidefor a start point. We would place vehicles a the start and end point, which will be decided upon shortly. So the walk would only be one way. Appears to be roughly 5 miles from that start point to GC5RJDJ 05 PHT Pennsylvania Side if we headed west.

When: Sunday, April 9
Where: see above
Time: Let me get back to you
Carpooling highly recommended!

Additional details forthcoming!
Sidekick LWB said to sidekick engineer, 'I've hung out with people i've met on the internet before but i've never run into any of them in the middle of the woods.' (Upper Yough Trek)

Buffaloes and tigers are one thing, but mustelids are not to be trifled with.
Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Re: Sunday, April 9 - Burgettstown Rail Trail

Postby Aquacache on Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:03 pm

Of course, I'm in.

• I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

• I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make when they go flying by.
Aquacache

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:45 am

Sidekick and I will head to GC5RJDJ 05 PHT Pennsylvania Side early in the morning and leave the Subaru there. We will then walk EAST on the trail to meet up with everyone at GC60HXB 50 PHT Pennsylvania Side.

This has more to do with the fact that we're training for a hike and need to get in 10 miles Sunday to stay on track, than being helpful, but it works out. So if we leave our car at the WEST end of the trail, we can accommodate 3 other folks in our car to return to the EAST end and your car when we are done with the trail.

From Morgantown it is 1 hour 22 minutes (mapped out using Google) to the EAST Parking.

I'm hoping no one wants to start out super early. I'm thinking 11 am meet up time (at the earliest) at GC60HXB 50 PHT Pennsylvania Side, because I don't want to get up super early. It makes me cranky.

Thoughts regarding this plan?

And I'm going to leave it to the rest of you to figure out carpooling and the like.

LWB will be in charge of sourcing our place of food, unless someone has a bead on a good local spot.
Sidekick LWB said to sidekick engineer, 'I've hung out with people i've met on the internet before but i've never run into any of them in the middle of the woods.' (Upper Yough Trek)

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:52 am

Here's an update.

From 50 - 05 is mapped out as 6.4 walking miles on the trail.

Another option is to do from 05 PHT Pennsylvania Side to GCV2KE Trails End which is the WV portion of the trail more or less. Parking for the Trails End side of the cache is: N 40 23.640 W 080 34.114

That maps out as 5.2 walking miles on the trail.

Let me know which the group prefers.

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby Gentleman-Carpenter on Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:58 pm

I suggest we do the 5.2 miles. It is a Sunday with another long week ahead.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
Gentleman-Carpenter

Postby pbump on Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:19 pm

I'm with the Gentleman. And I'm thinking I'd better ask the wife if we can go......
“It's faster horses, younger women, older whiskey and more money.” Tom T. Hall
"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow." Nanook's Mamma

"Corripe Cervisiam"

pbump

Postby wvhunter on Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:37 pm

5.2 works for me.
(Still need to put in another .8 to make my daily 6 tho.)
Anatomy (n): something everyone has, but which looks better on a girl.

Life would be so much easier if we could just look at the source code.
wvhunter

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:08 pm

Gentleman-Carpenter wrote:I suggest we do the 5.2 miles. It is a Sunday with another long week ahead.

Roger that. So LWB and I will plan to park at 05 and head WEST to meet up with you guys at the parking. The coordinates listed for the parking at the WEST end are extremely close to GC39VZ6 Pixelated Panhandle Puzzler. (I'm not sure if there is easy parking closer to the Trail's End cache or not - does not appear to be due to a water hazard and a four lane highway.)

So we could meet you there.

You guys can decide if you want to head West to the end of the trail and grab those 5 or if you want to just head East right off the bat.

Is an 11:00 meet up time at Pixelated Panhandle Puzzler still OK? I need to adjust our start time accordingly since we'll be shuffling the 5ish miles to meet up.

I'll check back here tomorrow & Saturday. And as always, you guys know how to reach me otherwise.

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby Aquacache on Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:05 pm

There doesn't appear to be parking at Trail's End, only at Pixelated Panhandle Puzzler. Those caches are 0.9 miles apart.

So it's 4.3 miles from 05 PHT to the Puzzler cache (parking) and it would be 1.8 miles more to go out to get Trail's End and back. I'm good either way.

Also, you need to find the micro at How's your luck on your walk west, so we can find the final when we walk back. :grin: It's a skyraider ammo can from 2004.

• I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make when they go flying by.
Aquacache

Postby wvhunter on Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:12 pm

GC and I planned on meeting at the 05 cache, leaving a car there and driving over to Puzzler to start the day.
Just let me know where I need to be.
Anatomy (n): something everyone has, but which looks better on a girl.

Life would be so much easier if we could just look at the source code.
wvhunter

Postby Aquacache on Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:32 am

Just be at 05 around 10:30. He and I should be there by then.

Aquacache

Return to General Stuff