Failed Coopers Rock Earthcache

Tell us whatever you're thinking about geocaching.

Moderator: Moderator

Failed Coopers Rock Earthcache

Postby wvhunter on Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:25 am

I figured that I had maybe a 1% chance of getting this published, but what the hey, I was told the same thing about Abandon Hope...
Below is the cache page I submitted for an earthcache at Coopers Rock and the reviewers note saying, um, nope.
Any suggestions as to how I can meet the rules? I'm fresh out of ideas.

PS. I didn't think, as usual, that I needed permission for a virtual cache but as usual again I was wrong. I can get that later.

---------------------------------------------------------
Geologic Overview of the Cheat River Gorge

The Cheat River Gorge is a remarkable natural feature located in northeastern West Virginia. This area is known for beautiful scenery, white-water rafting and rock climbing, all thanks to the geologic processes that have forged this wonder.

From the Cambrian through the Mississippian Periods (about 542 to 318 million years ago), several mountain building events known as orogenies had uplifted much of the land in northeastern North America. These orogenies were the result of tectonic forces pressing various continental and oceanic plates together over tens of millions of years. As the plates collided, much of the land was forced upward, resulting in the formation of the earliest parts of the Appalachian Mountains. Changing elevations and sea levels lead to many different depositional environments in this area over those hundreds of millions of years.

During the Mississippian Period (about 359 to 318 million years ago) much of what is now West Virginia was just off the west coast of these emerging mountains. This warm, shallow inland sea harbored an abundance of shelled marine invertebrates. As these animals died, their shell material accumulated on the sea floor. Over time this material was compacted into limestone, in this case forming the massive Greenbrier Limestone.

During the Pennsylvanian Period (about 300 to 318 million years ago) much of what is now West Virginia was low-lying and coastal. As the early Appalachians rose higher from orogenies, the sea retreated from West Virginia. Located between the early Appalachians to the east and the retreating shallow inland sea to the west, this area accumulated a variety of sediments. The area would have harbored beaches, swamps , river channels, and deltas. It was during this time that the Pottsville Group was formed, containing mostly sandstone and conglomerate but also some shale and coal.

But there was still one more orogeny to affect this region. Late in the Pennsylvanian Period the African continent collided with North America. Known as the Alleghenian Orogeny, this was the most significant mountain-building event that finished forming the Appalachians. The previously deposited sedimentary rocks, including the Greenbrier Limestone and Pottsville Group, were compressed, folded, and elevated over tens of millions of years.

Although sandstones like those found in the Pottsville Group are very resistant to weathering, the folding of the beds fractured and weakened them. This particular area is home to the Chestnut Ridge anticline, where beds are folded upward and fractured. In much more recent time, the geologically young Cheat River managed to wear through the damaged sandstone beds capping these sedimentary rocks.

Once worn down to the less resistant Greenbrier Limestone, the river accelerated its downcutting. The result today has been the Cheat River Gorge: a testament to the power of running water to wear through solid rock.

Sources:
The Life of Your Time webpage
Coopers Rock State Forest Wiki

To claim a find for this Earthcache email me the following information:
1. Simply stated, what is an orogeny?
2. Four Periods are mentioned above. Name three that created the Cheat River Gorge.
3. Approximately, how many years ago did these Periods start?
4. Approximately, how many years ago did these Periods end?
5. What softer rock was exposed allowing the river to carve the Gorge?
6. How many pillars, starting and ending at the end of the bridge, are on the overlook?
7. Approximately how tall is the boulder that makes the overlook?
8. What type of rock is the overlook made of?
9. What is the elevation difference between the overlook and the Cheat River?

-----------------------------------------------------------

Hello! Thank you for your interest in placing an EarthCache. There are a few things which are required before it can be published.

EarthCaches must have approval from the Land Manager prior to submission. Please be aware that West Virginia State Forests require a permit to place geocaches. More information can be found here.

An EarthCache must include at least one site-specific educational logging task related to the Earth science topic. The logging task(s) should have visitors using what they learned from reading the cache page, along with their observations at the site, to perform some type of analysis of their own. Tasks should reinforce the Earth science lesson and be site-specific enough that other proof of visitation is not necessary. Please note that question that don't relate to the geology are not permitted. I suggest reading the Help Center for more information on acceptable and unacceptable logging tasks.

Once you have made the necessary changes, you may enable the listing and I will continue my review. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me through the link to my profile listed below. Please include the GC Code so I know which EarthCache you are writing about. Do NOT reply directly to the e-mail you received from the Geocaching.com e-mail bot as I will not receive your message.

Thank you,
GeoawareUSA7
EarthCache Reviewer
Anatomy (n): something everyone has, but which looks better on a girl.

Life would be so much easier if we could just look at the source code.
wvhunter

Re: Failed Coopers Rock Earthcache

Postby Aquacache on Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:04 pm

First off, 9 questions? :shock:

Second, question #6 doesn't meet this criteria: "Please note that question that don't relate to the geology are not permitted." So I'd start by removing that question.

Maybe reword #8 so that it sounds more like a natural feature, instead of something man-made. Something like, "What type of rock makes up the outcropping that forms the overlook?"

• I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

• I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make when they go flying by.
Aquacache

Postby wvhunter on Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:55 pm

Most of the questions can be answered from the cache page. I already plan on removing question 6. That was only in there to force a visit to the site.
Question 8, (now 7), changed. But I don't think that will make a difference to the reviewer. I think it's more about having some kind of activity that needs to be done at the cache site.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
To claim a find for this Earthcache email me the following information:
1. Simply stated, what is an orogeny?
2. Four Periods are mentioned above. Name three that created the Cheat River Gorge.
3. Approximately, how many years ago did these Periods start?
4. Approximately, how many years ago did these Periods end?
5. What softer rock was exposed allowing the river to carve the Gorge?
6. Approximately how tall is the boulder that makes the overlook?
7. What type of rock makes up the outcropping that forms the overlook?
8.What is the elevation difference between the overlook and the Cheat River?

wvhunter

Postby Aquacache on Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:55 pm

You could argue that 6 and 7 would require a trip to the site. At least 6, anyway. But people could still guess at that without going there.

Maybe ask the reviewer to look at the questions now and see if it's acceptable. And if not, what specifically needs fixed.

• I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

• I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make when they go flying by.
Aquacache

Postby wvhunter on Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:38 pm

wvhunter wrote:An EarthCache must include at least one site-specific educational logging task related to the Earth science topic. The logging task(s) should have visitors using what they learned from reading the cache page, along with their observations at the site, to perform some type of analysis of their own. Tasks should reinforce the Earth science lesson and be site-specific enough that other proof of visitation is not necessary. Please note that question that don't relate to the geology are not permitted. I suggest reading the Help Center for more information on acceptable and unacceptable logging tasks.

I think that this paragraph is the problem. I have to try and come up with an acceptable task. But I have no clue as to what might be suitable.

wvhunter

Postby egroeg on Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:45 pm

I've published 13 EarthCaches, and finding a "site-specific" task was ALWAYS the toughest part for me.

As someone already said, the first 5 questions are all straight from your description - this doesn't mean that you can't use them, it just means you need more. (But you knew that.)

Reporting the size of a boulder is proof you were there, but does not supply any "educational" experience, unless you are discussing boulders. However, this leads to what might be the main sticking point for the reviewer: they no longer allow ECs at a scenic vista just because it is a scenic vista, you have to provide some science lesson. You have a lot of description of the origins and development of the gorge, which could be the lesson, but your questions should be more about that origin.
You're up at the top, so it would be tough to ask a question about the soft sandstone that helped the gorge get deeper. You might be able to come up with something about the fractures that allowed the gorge to start. Are any of the rock layers visible across the gorge? Maybe a question about them, especially if the layers look tilted. That would tie directly to the orogeny and anticline part of your description. Or maybe the soft layer is visble and looks different from the harder layers.

In sum, pick the lesson you wish to impart, then look at the area for evidence that supports that lesson.
egroeg

Postby Handyman & Fam on Tue May 02, 2017 2:36 pm

You could try asking the reviewer. GeoawareUSA7 has a reputation of being very helpful and informative in getting EC's published.
Handyman & Fam

Return to General Stuff