Easily locating geocaches in WV parks

Tell us whatever you're thinking about geocaching.

Moderator: Moderator

Easily locating geocaches in WV parks

Postby Knight who says Ni on Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:47 pm

I ran across this while looking for places to hide a cache. Imagine my surprise when I find that WV Parks is touting geocaching! :eek: Very exciting. They also list current caches and the parks in which they are located. Enjoy! http://www.wvstateparks.com/recreation/geocache.htm

BTW, I am one of the people SSPG 'preached the geo-gospel' to on November 17. I'm now officially hooked. I even joined MAGPI although I am a couple of hours away. Thanks SSPG! :lol:
Adventure is a romantic name for trouble. ~Louis L'Amour
Knight who says Ni

Re: Easily locating geocaches in WV parks

Postby Rock_Rat on Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:22 pm

It is a good resource but I know for a fact that list is incorrect. I have an approved cache thats been in Valley Falls (Country Roads) for a couple years and it's not on the list but Valley Falls Loop is a newer cache and it is. So take it with a grain of salt and check for additional caches before planning a trip.
Murphy was an optimist! - O'toole's commentary on Murphy's law
The perversity of the Universe tends towards a maximum. - O'Toole's Corollary
I think this O'Toole guys onto something. - Rock_Rat's commentary on O'Toole
Rock_Rat

Postby Aquacache on Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:39 pm

Welcome to the forum and to geocaching! We up here in SSPG-land have been hearing talk of her recruiting efforts down south, but have yet to see any proof of these efforts ... guess it's really true! :lol:

The WV State Parks geocache page has been up for quite some time and is very informative, but unfortunately, isn't kept up to date. Many of the caches listed on their site have long since been archived and many new ones are not listed, as Rock_Rat mentioned. Maybe they'll update it someday. :???: One thing that I think is still current is the information on placing caches within the parks. As I'm sure you are now aware, you must obtain state approval prior to placing any cache within a state park or forest. If you need contact information in Charleston, I can probably dig up the e-mail address that I've used in the past ... they are very helpful ... but not always extremely quick without a little prodding.

BTW ... don't believe everything that SSPG tells you about geocaching. Not everybody gets injured or lost or muddy while doing it. Some people actually have fun! :lol: :lol:

Again, welcome! Hope to see you at an event or B&W night sometime.

• I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

• I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make when they go flying by.
Aquacache

Postby Rock_Rat on Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:22 pm

Aquacache wrote:BTW ... don't believe everything that SSPG tells you about geocaching. Not everybody gets injured or lost or muddy while doing it. Some people actually have fun! :lol: :lol:

Again, welcome! Hope to see you at an event or B&W night sometime.

Don't forget dresses and heels, not everyone goes caching in dresses and heels! :eek:
Murphy was an optimist! - O'toole's commentary on Murphy's law
The perversity of the Universe tends towards a maximum. - O'Toole's Corollary
I think this O'Toole guys onto something. - Rock_Rat's commentary on O'Toole
Rock_Rat

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:42 pm

Rock_Rat wrote:Don't forget dresses and heels, not everyone goes caching in dresses and heels! :eek:

I should hope not! If I ever run into one of you guys wearing heels & a nice white skirt at a cache I'll probably fall over :lol:

ps. you can too believe most of what I say :shock:
Sidekick LWB said to sidekick engineer, 'I've hung out with people i've met on the internet before but i've never run into any of them in the middle of the woods.' (Upper Yough Trek)

Buffaloes and tigers are one thing, but mustelids are not to be trifled with.
Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby wvhunter74 on Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:23 pm

Aquacache wrote:Welcome to the forum and to geocaching! We up here in SSPG-land have been hearing talk of her recruiting efforts down south, but have yet to see any proof of these efforts ... guess it's really true! :lol: .

I am also recruiting down south so send them my way
wvhunter74

Postby pbump on Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:05 pm

Aquacache wrote:The WV State Parks geocache page has been up for quite some time and is very informative, but unfortunately, isn't kept up to date. Many of the caches listed on their site have long since been archived and many new ones are not listed, as Rock_Rat mentioned. Maybe they'll update it someday. :???: One thing that I think is still current is the information on placing caches within the parks. As I'm sure you are now aware, you must obtain state approval prior to placing any cache within a state park or forest. If you need contact information in Charleston, I can probably dig up the e-mail address that I've used in the past ... they are very helpful ... but not always extremely quick without a little prodding.

Just put one out on the North Bend Trail in Doddridge County last month - took about 3 weeks from the time I mailed the application until I recieved the approval and sticker....and I was wondering how up-to-date the WV Parks page might be kept.
“It's faster horses, younger women, older whiskey and more money.” Tom T. Hall
"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow." Nanook's Mamma

"Corripe Cervisiam"

pbump

Postby wvcoalcat on Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:13 am

took about 3 weeks from the time I mailed the application until I recieved the approval and sticker....

Lets see. Each of my three Coopers Rock caches took one day for parks approval and I had the approval letter/labels within five days.
Of course I had a little inside assistance. :cool: Don't think I'd get the same service now. :sad:

O ETREX Junkie, ETREX Junkie, wherefore art thou ETREX Junkie.
Wvhunter's cigarette smoking, mountain climbing, SWMBO butt kissin' sock puppet. (ScoutingWV 2-22-07)

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. (Benjamin Franklin)
wvcoalcat

Postby Knight who says Ni on Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:59 am

Thanks for the invite to B&W night Aquacache. I do plan to visit SSPG next weekend, but it will probably be on Friday. I know B&W night is Thursdays. Could there possibly be an additional get together that week? :grin: SSPG says you are willing to go caching with us. Did she tell you about my sidekicks? Two teens boys, one 15, one 16; aka MAPS. Good kids and not afraid of most caches (silly boys!), but always hungry. I do require them to carry food for that reason.
Knight who says Ni

Postby Aquacache on Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:57 pm

Knight who says Ni wrote:Thanks for the invite to B&W night Aquacache. I do plan to visit SSPG next weekend, but it will probably be on Friday. I know B&W night is Thursdays. Could there possibly be an additional get together that week? :grin: SSPG says you are willing to go caching with us. Did she tell you about my sidekicks? Two teens boys, one 15, one 16; aka MAPS. Good kids and not afraid of most caches (silly boys!), but always hungry. I do require them to carry food for that reason.

It's always good to have someone to carry the food! :eat:

Sorry to say that I won't be back in town until late that Saturday night ... with any luck. :???: So it doesn't look like I will be able to go caching with you guys after all. I'm sure you guys will have fun (make sure SSPG shows you some good ones :mrgreen: ) and I hope to meet you and the sidekicks another time.

• I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

• I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make when they go flying by.
Aquacache

Postby Knight who says Ni on Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:45 pm

For those that have not heard from SSPG, my planned geocaching foray to M'town has been changed. My sidekicks and I will be up on Saturday, March 1, for pepporoni rolls at Colasessano's. There may also be geocaching that day. We are staying at SSPG's house and plan to do more geocaching on Sunday. I'm leaving those arrangements to SSPG. :hail:

Join us if you can. I would love to meet everyone! :grin:
Knight who says Ni

Return to General Stuff