Paperless...almost

Tell us whatever you're thinking about geocaching.

Moderator: Moderator

Re: Paperless...almost

Postby Aquacache on Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:33 am

wvangler wrote:AC, I finally got the cradle from SSPG. I have a serial port on my work computer so I'm hoping to try it tomorrow. My home PC desktop only has one serial port and the monitor is running to it now. I have a serial to USB converter and I've been fighting with it all day. I cannot get the thing to link up through the USB connection AT ALL. I'm getting rather irritated since I know this can be done. I need an IT dept. for my house.

Anyway, thanks for the cradle. A ton.

Glad you were finally able to get it from her! :roll: :wink:

Like SWV mentioned, the monitor won't be plugged into a serial port, but the connector looks similar. I thought that most desktop computers were still made with a serial port, but maybe not. They're definitely hard to find on laptop computers.

I use a lot of programs at work that still use serial ports and with the ports becoming more scarce on laptops, we try various types of USB and PC Card adapters with mixed results. There are a couple programs I use that just plain will not work with a USB to RS232 serial adapter at all. Others will only work if the serial port has a number of 1 thru 4; i.e. COM3. Quite often the USB adapters will create a "virtual COM port" that is assigned a number up around COM10 or so and the older software doesn't support that.

Check to see what number the COM port is and if it's higher than 4, try changing it to a lower number using the Advanced settings in the Hardware Manager. If you need help doing that, check out this site. You can't have two ports with the same number, so make sure you don't change it to something that already exists.

Good luck!

• I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

• I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make when they go flying by.
Aquacache

Postby wvangler on Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:24 am

I didn't count the number of pins. I thought my desktop had a serial port, but nay. Basically what I have is a USB wire that has a serial connector on the other side. I've tried changing the HotSync set up every which way to get it to recognize the port, but nothing worked. It kept saying something about COM1 not connected or something like that.

Anyway, I brought it to work with me today and I do have a serial port here. I hooked it up and have installed a registered version of cachemate and have loaded about 1300 caches on the PDA thus far :grin: woo hoo. Gonna go home for lunch and email some more gpx files to the office to see just how many this bad boy will hold. Gonna take some time to get used to cachemate. I would like to figure out if/how I could organize caches by region on it if possible. I'm using GSAK to load Cachemate.

My work computer is up for replacement though (hoping for a Macbook, but may not happen). If it does get replaced I'll either have to figure out how to get that serial/USB connection working or buy a more up to date PDA. At least I'm up and running with it now. Thanks for all the help.
Indecision is the key to flexibility.
wvangler

Postby scoutingwv on Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:58 am

Check your other apps - if you have anything else addressing the COM port, it won't let you connect to it. If there is another app using it (maybe loads during startup), disable it, shut down to free the interrupt, and boot it up again.
scoutingwv

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:44 am

wvangler wrote: Gonna take some time to get used to cachemate. I would like to figure out if/how I could organize caches by region on it if possible. I'm using GSAK to load Cachemate.

you can sort them in GSAK. Well perhaps sort is not the proper word. You can make different databases in GSAK and export them that way into cachemate.

So for instance on GSAK, I have files for: morgantown area, charleston, hershey PA and so forth. I then export the .gpx file from there to Cachemate where I also have different databases set up to match.

but I'm a super novice compared to some of the other MAGPI.
Sidekick LWB said to sidekick engineer, 'I've hung out with people i've met on the internet before but i've never run into any of them in the middle of the woods.' (Upper Yough Trek)

Buffaloes and tigers are one thing, but mustelids are not to be trifled with.
Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby Aquacache on Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:04 pm

If you're getting a message that says something like "COM1 not connected", then that probably means that the Palm Hotsync program is looking for the PDA on COM1 and it isn't there. And if you don't have a built-in serial port, you don't likely have a COM1 as the USB-serial adapters don't normally use that port number by default; more like the COM10 that I mentioned previously. You can use the link I posted below to see what COM port the USB adapter is using and then change the Hotsync program to look at that COM port.

Or, just use the computer at work. :lol:

I believe what SSPG was trying to think of was "filters" in GSAK. You can open up your PQ's in GSAK and then set a filter to show only caches in WV. Then export those to CacheMate and put them in a database called "Caches in WV" ... or whatever else you like. Then change the filter to show only caches in KY and export those into another CacheMate database. Separating the caches into smaller databases in CacheMate will speed up searches and sorts (such as nearest) as opposed to having one giant database with 2000 caches in it.

Glad you got it working! ... even if it is only at work. :grin:

• I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

• I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make when they go flying by.
Aquacache

Postby wvangler on Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:41 am

Thanks dude. I will investigate that as I get time and patience (which comes in small portions with me). I'm still learning my way around GSAK and Cachemate.
Indecision is the key to flexibility.
wvangler

Postby Knight who says Ni on Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:10 pm

wvangler wrote:<snip> as I get time and patience (which comes in small portions with me).

Something you and SSPG have in common. :lol:
Adventure is a romantic name for trouble. ~Louis L'Amour
Knight who says Ni

Previous

Return to General Stuff