Gems of Rockbridge Geocaching Trail

Here is the place for those conundrums, posers and other mind games we love to share.

Gems of Rockbridge Geocaching Trail

Postby pbump on Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:46 pm

http://www.lexingtonvirginia.com/geocache/

Located in and around Lexington, Virginia (along I-65/I-81), not far from Lewisburg, WV. Ten caches spread around scenic areas such as Natural Bridge, James River, Lexington, and other neat locations. None of them are hard at all - but they do entail a bit of scampering about the area. Took us part of two days to complete, but there was some Safari time in there too. Can be accomplished in 6-8 hours with some planning and concentration.

They have 200 commemorative coins (not serialized, but pretty cool) - we scored #29. We had fun.
Rockbridge1.jpg
Rockbridge1.jpg (57.33 KB) Viewed 1355 times

Rockbridge2.jpg
Rockbridge2.jpg (55.27 KB) Viewed 1358 times
“It's faster horses, younger women, older whiskey and more money.” Tom T. Hall
"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow." Nanook's Mamma

"Corripe Cervisiam"

pbump

Re: Gems of Rockbridge Geocaching Trail

Postby wvangler on Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:36 am

That's pretty cool. I wondered what you were doing running around VA.
Indecision is the key to flexibility.
wvangler

Postby wvhunter74 on Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:48 pm

nice
wvhunter74

Postby thebuddhaman on Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:29 pm

Ann and I just got back from doing this series and had a really good time, thanks bump for posting it on here without that we probably wouldn't have known about it
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

We didn't inherit this world for our parents.... We borrow it from our children
thebuddhaman

Postby WVKiwi on Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:30 am

I also second the recommendation — did this trail opening weekend and had a lot of fun...in fact, was able to easily complete it in one day. I think I started somewhere around 10:30AM and was finished by 4ish, and on that particular day (being the launch day) there was extra time in there spent dealing with a couple incorrect coordinate issues/missing information also. All 10 caches are within a relatively small area, and bring you to some cool spots. The coin is non-trackable, but still really nice (and actually, when I was there, they also had a trackable version, which had a different back to it, for sale, which was pretty nice too).
WVKiwi

Postby pbump on Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:51 pm

It worked, too. We really want to go back to the area and work it over some more!
“It's faster horses, younger women, older whiskey and more money.” Tom T. Hall
"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow." Nanook's Mamma

"Corripe Cervisiam"

pbump

Postby BobnLinda on Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:08 pm

We did the Gems of Rockbridge..... on 7/2 and 7/3/11 along with some other caches. Nice locations, lots of history and as stated before not really difficult to do. Could easily be done in one full day. Both the Lexington and Buena Vista Visitors Centers have the coins. We collected our coin at Buena Vista after the attendant checked our answers on the playcard and it was #39. So there are plenty of coins out there still to be claimed (Lexington has fewer coins than Buena Vista). So if you haven't done this geotrail yet; put it on your to do list. We enjoyed it and thought it was worthwhile.
BobnLinda

Return to Games, Quests, Contests & Challenges