Pocket Queries

Here we can post any and all threads containing useful information pertaining to Geocaching or other subjects

Pocket Queries

Postby WVUgeo on Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:32 pm

I've been using pocket queries for some time and I typically have 8 or so set to run per week, but I feel that I may not be taking advantage of this great premium feature.

Does anyone have any interesting or useful query setups to share? Perhaps a query that you run when attempting to beat your record of caches found in a day, or any other queries you like to run depending on the day.

Can't wait to see what types of setups you guys choose and how you modify your settings! Thanks
WVUgeo

Re: Pocket Queries

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:21 pm

Wow.

I run one weekly and that is my 500 nearest unfound.

The rest I run as needed when i'm going on a trip or working on a challenge cache.

What I do use a lot to refine my pocket queries and make my life easier is GSAK.
Sidekick LWB said to sidekick engineer, 'I've hung out with people i've met on the internet before but i've never run into any of them in the middle of the woods.' (Upper Yough Trek)

Buffaloes and tigers are one thing, but mustelids are not to be trifled with.
Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby pbump on Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:12 am

I must bare my soul.....

I run about 20 a week...covers all of WV. 10 others I run periodically for areas I frequent.

I actually took the time to draw circles on my Delorme maps that match my PQ setup, then verify that the query returns less than 500 (500 is the max per query) by previewing it, and adjust the size of my circle until I get a decent number. Kept drawing circles and testing until I had the area covered I wanted to.

I then pull the PQ's into GSAK (pure ambrosia) and can sort/manipulate/map/etc from there. Many hours spent playing in GSAK.

You do have to clean the database up every now and again when a cache gets archived, but you can generally tell by the GPX date in GSAK.

Whew. I feel better now.
Attachments
PQMap.jpg
PQMap.jpg (120.31 KB) Viewed 816 times
“It's faster horses, younger women, older whiskey and more money.” Tom T. Hall
"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow." Nanook's Mamma

"Corripe Cervisiam"

pbump

Postby wvangler on Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:28 am

Um, pbump, wow. Geez, I don't know what to say other than if there's ever a group power trail run...I'm riding with you.

I have gotten lazy with my PQ's. My advice though, would be to at least know how to run PQ's utilizing the attributes for when you may wish to do something like go on a night hunt somewhere. I can remember a few times being out of state in a hotel and wondering "are there any night caches around here?" Then I learned to run PQ's selecting the "Recommended at Night" or other attributes to find just the types of caches I'm looking for. If you decide to jump in on the Fizzy craze you'll discover the joy of running PQ's for very specific D/T ratings too. I only run one PQ regularly, but lots of them on demand for specific tasks.
Indecision is the key to flexibility.
wvangler

Return to Resources