Wherigo

Here we can post any and all threads containing useful information pertaining to Geocaching or other subjects

Wherigo

Postby Handyman & Fam on Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:31 pm

I just submitted a Wherigo cache for publication. It is in the vicinity of my "Ivy Branch" caches in Lincoln/Boone County. I know that a lot of people don't have notifications set up for Wherigos, so consider this your notification. The cache is currently awaiting publication on gc.com, but is already active and downloadable on the Wherigo site. You should be able to find it in a search of the site. If anyone doesn't have a capable GPS, and would like to complete this cache before July 9th or 10th, send me a message via gc.com, and I would be more than happy to run through it with you.
Handyman
Last edited by Handyman & Fam on Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Handyman & Fam

Re: Wherigo

Postby Wintz on Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:21 pm

sounds like fun, i cant wait to do my first whereigo cache.\\thanks
--wintz50
Wintz

Postby wvangler on Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:31 pm

Handyman, how much do you charge to help me finish a WhereIGo in Spencer??? I've tinkered with the builder since last Fall, but keep giving up on it. I really would like to get all available cache types in my home county. I can't wait to get down there to try it. I like that you stuck the MAGPI logo on there and I like the theme. Hoping there is something on it about the state fish... :cool: .
Indecision is the key to flexibility.
wvangler

Postby Handyman & Fam on Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:12 pm

Advice is free!
First piece of free advice: Ditch the Wherigo Builder! Groundspeak appears to have abandoned the software in 2008.
I used software that can be found on the groundpeak forums. It is called Urwigo. It makes things easier, but not easy. I would guestimate that I have about 8 hours in writing the cartridge. That doesn't include the time I saved by using the template from my other Wherigo. I sat down with the writer of my other Wherigo (which I adopted) and in about 45 minutes or an hour he had comfortable with Urwigo. I am not sure I could write one from scratch though.
If you are planning on doing the new Wherigo, maybe I could meet you there this week, and show you the software.

It wouldn't hurt to know the state fish before starting my Wherigo. ;)
Handyman & Fam

Postby wvangler on Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:43 am

The WhereIGo is really cool. I highly recommend it. No problems whatsoever with it and it wasn't too hard at all. It is a different experience...basically a puzzle cache that you work through in the field. The possibilities are really endless. I don't think WhereIGo is dead, there is too much potential to let it die. They just need more devices capable of playing the cartridges. There is no question in my mind that programmers can create builders more user friendly than either of the two options available now, so I don't think that is as much of an issue. One thing that would help a lot is if they could create several different templates for potential WhereIGo builders to use (i.e., a historical tour template, a puzzle template, etc.). I can't create a website on Adobe Dreamweaver from scratch to save my life, but when I use a template I can adjust and manipulate it to make it my own design easily.
wvangler

Postby scoutingwv on Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:55 am

wvangler wrote:<snip> I don't think WhereIGo is dead, there is too much potential to let it die. They just need more devices capable of playing the cartridges. <snip>

Adapt to the audience/market or die.

Do you still have a Betamax VCR? Maybe a laserdic player instead? Do you still have an Apple Newton? (sorry, that's an iPad now - still sucks) Is your stereo still quadraphonic? Do you pay for items with Susan B. Anthony dollars? Do you drive to work in a Gremlin? Does anyone watch movies produced by Kevin Costner?
scoutingwv

Postby wvangler on Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:25 am

scoutingwv wrote:
wvangler wrote:<snip> I don't think WhereIGo is dead, there is too much potential to let it die. They just need more devices capable of playing the cartridges. <snip>

Adapt to the audience/market or die.

Do you still have a Betamax VCR? Maybe a laserdic player instead? Do you still have an Apple Newton? (sorry, that's an iPad now - still sucks) Is your stereo still quadraphonic? Do you pay for items with Susan B. Anthony dollars? Do you drive to work in a Gremlin? Does anyone watch movies produced by Kevin Costner?

:lol:

My car isn't much better than a Gremlin. Just sayin'. I dunno on changing technology though, I think 50 years from now folks will still be clinging to their 60csx units.

There is no reason why they can't put a player together for iPhone and Android. It is just a matter of making it a priority. I had once heard that some proprietary stuff between WhereIGo and Apple didn't mesh, but have since learned that is a myth. I don't know anyone who owns a pocket pc, but at least I know a few folks who have Oregon's and Colorado's and most people have smart phones now. I believe that if WhereIGo made another surge, DeLorme/Magellen/etc. would pay attention as well and begin integration of the platform.
wvangler

Postby scoutingwv on Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:23 pm

I admit, I have paid zero attention to WherIGo (and lately, geocaching), so let me ask: Who's technology is it? Who is driving any development? Is it being used for anything other than this type of activity for Groundspeak?
scoutingwv

Postby Rock_Rat on Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:43 pm

It was created and as far as I know used only by Groundspeak.
Murphy was an optimist! - O'toole's commentary on Murphy's law
The perversity of the Universe tends towards a maximum. - O'Toole's Corollary
I think this O'Toole guys onto something. - Rock_Rat's commentary on O'Toole
Rock_Rat

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:52 pm

Before frying it in a rainstorm a few years ago, i had an HP IPAQ. I used it as my main GPSr for quite some time. Every time i attempted to load the Whereigo software it crashed the PDA. So I gave up.

If there was a version that ran on my phone i may give it another try.
Sidekick LWB said to sidekick engineer, 'I've hung out with people i've met on the internet before but i've never run into any of them in the middle of the woods.' (Upper Yough Trek)

Buffaloes and tigers are one thing, but mustelids are not to be trifled with.
Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby wvhunter74 on Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:36 pm

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl wrote:Before frying it in a rainstorm a few years ago, i had an HP IPAQ. I used it as my main GPSr for quite some time. Every time i attempted to load the Whereigo software it crashed the PDA. So I gave up.

If there was a version that ran on my phone i may give it another try.

I put one on my phone the other day but could not figure out how to get the cartridges on it
wvhunter74

Postby Magician Humfrey on Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:49 pm

Moved to a more appropriate location for software discussions.
Those of you that think you know it all are annoying those of us that do!
Magician Humfrey

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:41 pm

I was bored tonight. So I thought I'd revisit this Whereigo thingy and see if there was an android app for it. Yes, yes there is.

So I downloaded it.

And then realized the nearest whereigo cartridge is in PA and involves a tour of jails. Hmmm.

Needless to say I have not yet loaded a cartridge. I did find, however, that the land of chocolate (Hershey, PA) and surrounding area is just littered with them. Littered, I say. If only I had known that a few weeks ago.

Anyway, the point of this post is to let you know that if you have an Android phone, there is now an app for that available in the marketplace. Called Whereyougo.
Sidekick LWB said to sidekick engineer, 'I've hung out with people i've met on the internet before but i've never run into any of them in the middle of the woods.' (Upper Yough Trek)

Buffaloes and tigers are one thing, but mustelids are not to be trifled with.
Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby Lledier on Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:42 pm

Android phone? That's like decades beyond my phone's technology....
No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Lledier

Postby stoney&sarah on Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:14 pm

been seeing a lot about wherigo.. can someone tell me what it's about and is it fun to do?
stoney&sarah

Next

Return to Resources