Paperless GPSR

Here we can post any and all threads containing useful information pertaining to Geocaching or other subjects

Paperless GPSR

Postby firemanjim903mfd on Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:14 pm

I'm looking into getting a new GPSR , I have a Garmin now and I would like to stay with that brand . Does anyone have any suggestions ? Dakota , Oregon or the new garmin gps map 62 ?
firemanjim903mfd

Re: Paperless GPSR

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:56 pm

I still like my 60CSX which is being replaced by the 62CSX. Haven't heard anything about.

I'm sure wvhunter will be happy to tell you all about his Oregon.
Sidekick LWB said to sidekick engineer, 'I've hung out with people i've met on the internet before but i've never run into any of them in the middle of the woods.' (Upper Yough Trek)

Buffaloes and tigers are one thing, but mustelids are not to be trifled with.
Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby 3_dogs on Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:13 pm

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl wrote:I'm sure wvhunter will be happy to tell you all about his Oregon.

HaaaaHaHaHaHa
"Är huvudet dumt får kroppen lida."

Translated - "If the head is dumb the body suffers."
3_dogs

Postby wvangler on Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:48 am

The 62 looks pretty sweet. I got to look at Misterp_otc's at the sMAGPI event. That said, it doesn't do anything a DeLorme PN-40 does except cost twice as much. I do really like the interface on the 62 though.
Indecision is the key to flexibility.
wvangler

Postby wvhunter74 on Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:47 pm

I have toyed around with the 62 and I am going to replace my 60 with it
wvhunter74

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:52 pm

It just occurred to me after I re-read your post that getting a 60CSx will not help out on the paperless aspect of caching. It's great and I love it, but it doesn't do diddly squat when I need to find out the details about a cache.

I use my phone to handle the paperless part - the cache page, in other words.

I believe you'd need to step up to the Oregon or above to get any cache descriptions on a Garmin (and thus be paperless with one piece of gear) - please wvhunter, do help me out and describe the wonders of your Oregon so all will know and bow down.
Sidekick LWB said to sidekick engineer, 'I've hung out with people i've met on the internet before but i've never run into any of them in the middle of the woods.' (Upper Yough Trek)

Buffaloes and tigers are one thing, but mustelids are not to be trifled with.
Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby Rock_Rat on Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:21 am

wvhunter74 wrote:I have toyed around with the 62 and I am going to replace my 60 with it

I've been looking at the 62 CSX and the Earthmate PN-60w. The 62 looks to be a great unit with paperless caching like the newer touch screen units but rugged like the old 60. The PN-60w has all of this with Delormes great mapping services and can display waypoints over aerial imagery. The kicker is the Spot unit available with the PN-60w. Not only will it be great for the security it offers while backpacking but it can update your location so family or friends can track your progress and send custom messages via facebook, twitter, email, and sms. I've always been a Garmin man but I've got to say I'm torn on this one. I'm just waiting for the spot units to ship so I can see a few reviews of the service.
Murphy was an optimist! - O'toole's commentary on Murphy's law
The perversity of the Universe tends towards a maximum. - O'Toole's Corollary
I think this O'Toole guys onto something. - Rock_Rat's commentary on O'Toole
Rock_Rat

Postby wvhunter74 on Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:09 am

Rock_Rat wrote:
wvhunter74 wrote:I have toyed around with the 62 and I am going to replace my 60 with it

I've been looking at the 62 CSX and the Earthmate PN-60w. The 62 looks to be a great unit with paperless caching like the newer touch screen units but rugged like the old 60. The PN-60w has all of this with Delormes great mapping services and can display waypoints over aerial imagery. The kicker is the Spot unit available with the PN-60w. Not only will it be great for the security it offers while backpacking but it can update your location so family or friends can track your progress and send custom messages via facebook, twitter, email, and sms. I've always been a Garmin man but I've got to say I'm torn on this one. I'm just waiting for the spot units to ship so I can see a few reviews of the service.

The 62 is pretty cool rockrat you should check it out
wvhunter74

Postby 3_dogs on Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:20 am

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl wrote:please wvhunter, do help me out and describe the wonders of your Oregon so all will know and bow down.

Do you think we offended him? I guess maybe I did the offending and you just rubbed it in. I didn't realize it was possible. :shock:
"Är huvudet dumt får kroppen lida."

Translated - "If the head is dumb the body suffers."
3_dogs

Postby wvhunter on Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:17 am

Offended??! ME?!
Surely you must be joking…wait for it…wait for it…(insert obvious comments here)
(Now that someone, (you know who you are), have gotten that off their chest)

All Hail the Mighty Oregon 400T!!!
Cue angelic choir. Cue cherubs w/rose petals
Cut to faces of stunned, cats & rats & and dogs & ponies all staring upward in splendiferous fascination.
Feel the power and radiance of the well lit screen.

Watch as I navigate from on high to the mortal realm and my trusty device routes and re-routes and re-routes me again and again and again as I get easily sidetracked by every little shiny bauble along the way.
Many destinations can I seek with my vast database of geocaches!! Description, hints, information of all types!!!

Alrighty then. I’m done. <grin> For now.

Suffice it to say that I LOVE the Oregon for paperless caching. Everything I need is all in one unit. I just copy over the .gpx file/s I get from my pocket queries and out the door I go. Full access to the entire cache page, hints, and the last five logs are there. It even allows me to make a log on the fly and upload it when I get home.
For this fat lazy cacher it makes things very simple. (insert obvious comments here again)
Anatomy (n): something everyone has, but which looks better on a girl.

Life would be so much easier if we could just look at the source code.
wvhunter

Postby Rock_Rat on Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:46 am

wvhunter wrote:Cut to faces of stunned, cats & rats & and dogs & ponies all staring upward in splendiferous fascination.

Why do I suddenly want to produce a bad 80's styled cartoon about MAGPI.

"And today on GeoFriends...."
Murphy was an optimist! - O'toole's commentary on Murphy's law
The perversity of the Universe tends towards a maximum. - O'Toole's Corollary
I think this O'Toole guys onto something. - Rock_Rat's commentary on O'Toole
Rock_Rat

Postby pbump on Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:05 pm

3_dogs wrote:
Spotty Spotty Pony Girl wrote:I'm sure wvhunter will be happy to tell you all about his Oregon.

HaaaaHaHaHaHa

Never gets old, does it?
“It's faster horses, younger women, older whiskey and more money.” Tom T. Hall
"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow." Nanook's Mamma

"Corripe Cervisiam"

pbump

Postby pbump on Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:08 pm

A newbie type friend of mine (long time friend, newbie cacher) just got an Oregon 400. He loves it. It seemed very intuitive and easy to use to me...in just the few minutes I saw it.
"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow." Nanook's Mamma

"Corripe Cervisiam"

pbump

Postby wvangler on Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:06 pm

Just saw on twitter that the Oregon 450 is now $250. Still doesn't come with the topo software though which is a load of bull.
Indecision is the key to flexibility.
wvangler

Postby pbump on Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:57 pm

ANOTHER possibility (and one that we are actually practicing) is to use a Nuvi for the paperless part, as well as gross location finding...and I haven't discovered the cache limit on the Nuvi 255W. I've loaded over 6000 with full descriptions and 10 logs each, without a whimper one. Plus it will emit an annoying beep as you approach one. Only part I don't like is that it will only display them on the map when you are within the specified range. But you can browse all of 'em.

So we use the Nuvi to get close and parked, read a bit about them, then hit the woods with the Etrex Venture HC, Colorado, or PN20 (or 2 Garmin Rinos) as required.

Yeah, that's six. But who's counting.

"Corripe Cervisiam"

pbump

Next

Return to Resources