Paperless GPSR

Here we can post any and all threads containing useful information pertaining to Geocaching or other subjects

Re: Paperless GPSR

Postby firemanjim903mfd on Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:23 am

Thanks for all the help . WVHUNTER Oregon 400t looks really good to me but now I have a new question . If the Oregon 400t is so good is the Oregon 550t even better ? I think that I have narrowed it down to one or the other to buy . If anyone can help be make up my mind I would appreciate any and all help .
firemanjim903mfd

Postby wvhunter on Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:52 pm

The 400t was the latest and greatest when I bought it. Since then, I really haven't had much reason to look at the newer models.
Sorry.
Anatomy (n): something everyone has, but which looks better on a girl.

Life would be so much easier if we could just look at the source code.
wvhunter

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:29 pm

I believe PilotJ & Crew has the 550t.
Sidekick LWB said to sidekick engineer, 'I've hung out with people i've met on the internet before but i've never run into any of them in the middle of the woods.' (Upper Yough Trek)

Buffaloes and tigers are one thing, but mustelids are not to be trifled with.
Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby firemanjim903mfd on Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:33 am

Thanks to every one for all of the help I just ordered a garmin 550t . After I get the hang of it I will let every one know how it is .I hope I wont have the buy a new GPSR for a long long time , but that was the samething I said to myself about a year ago .
firemanjim903mfd

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:48 pm

firemanjim903mfd wrote:Thanks to every one for all of the help I just ordered a garmin 550t . After I get the hang of it I will let every one know how it is .I hope I wont have the buy a new GPSR for a long long time , but that was the samething I said to myself about a year ago .

ya might wanna wear that thing on a lanyard of some sort. that way if you lose your grip, you still have a GPSr!
Sidekick LWB said to sidekick engineer, 'I've hung out with people i've met on the internet before but i've never run into any of them in the middle of the woods.' (Upper Yough Trek)

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby wvhillbillies1 on Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:32 pm

His Dad taught him that leason
wvhillbillies1

Postby firemanjim903mfd on Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:09 pm

Today was the fist time out for my new 550T . The maps worked very good , the paperless caching was also very usefull . I even snapped a couple of pictures with it .The compass was acting crazy I might have to calibrate it again but other than that thing went very good and had lots of fun with it . But I still have a long way to go leaning it .
firemanjim903mfd

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:34 pm

firemanjim903mfd wrote:Today was the fist time out for my new 550T . The maps worked very good , the paperless caching was also very usefull . I even snapped a couple of pictures with it .The compass was acting crazy I might have to calibrate it again but other than that thing went very good and had lots of fun with it . But I still have a long way to go leaning it .

glad to hear you are happy with your choice!

I know with my 60CSx, I am constantly recalibrating. So I carry a compass and just follow the arrow. Works for me :grin:

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby SnowXRacer on Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:01 pm

I am really confused about this "calibrating the compass" problem. I am fairly new to the handheld as we have used a Nuvi for 2 years, but with my PN40, I just turn it on and go. I have Plus/Minus 9 to 18 ft all the time and honestly, it routes us pretty close. Is this a "MR T" thing? :grin:
SnowXRacer

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:17 pm

SnowXRacer wrote:I am really confused about this "calibrating the compass" problem. I am fairly new to the handheld as we have used a Nuvi for 2 years, but with my PN40, I just turn it on and go. I have Plus/Minus 9 to 18 ft all the time and honestly, it routes us pretty close. Is this a "MR T" thing? :grin:

it doesn't have anything to do with the accuracy or routing (for me anyway, I use DeLorme or my phone for routing). It has to do with the ridiculous electronic compass going screwy. (personally, unless I'm with other cachers I just follow the arrow and make sure the distance is going down...who cares if it is South or West? :grin: )

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby pbump on Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:37 pm

SnowXRacer wrote:I am really confused about this "calibrating the compass" problem. I am fairly new to the handheld as we have used a Nuvi for 2 years, but with my PN40, I just turn it on and go. I have Plus/Minus 9 to 18 ft all the time and honestly, it routes us pretty close. Is this a "MR T" thing? :grin:

Unscientific observation....the electronic compasses seem to get stupid when you have the GPS in your vehicle, leave them on, and move any distance to speak of. Maybe it gets confused when it's moving sideways (you just tossed it up on the dash, right?)...when i calibrate and walk with it properly oriented, it never seems to lose calibration. It's only after the drive to the next cache that it's kicked back into "arrow is lying" mode.
“It's faster horses, younger women, older whiskey and more money.” Tom T. Hall
"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow." Nanook's Mamma

"Corripe Cervisiam"

pbump

Postby SnowXRacer on Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:23 am

pbump wrote:

Unscientific observation....the electronic compasses seem to get stupid when you have the GPS in your vehicle, leave them on, and move any distance to speak of. Maybe it gets confused when it's moving sideways (you just tossed it up on the dash, right?)...when i calibrate and walk with it properly oriented, it never seems to lose calibration. It's only after the drive to the next cache that it's kicked back into "arrow is lying" mode.

I get that "lying arrow" with my PN40 but only if I get in really heavy tree cover and start moving pretty slow. Then the distance will count down but the arrow will point a different direction. But if I speed up my walking it usually straightens itself out. I really haven't had any problems transitioning from driving to walking. Then again, maybe I have and just walked around in enough circles to stumble upon the cache? :smile: I remember when we cached with our Nuvis, they had a horrible time with this. You would change from car to walking and you would walk 100' without it even responding, and they it would suddenly catch up.

Oh well, thanks for the explanations SSPG & Bump. I am now embarking on a new adventure: paperless caching with a laptop. 'Hunter opened my eyes to a whole new world with the laptop on Saturday and when I got home, I found that Delorme provided me with all the software I needed when I bought the GPS. I just never used it!

--Sorry for Hijacking the thread! I will quit now.
SnowXRacer

Postby wvangler on Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:09 am

You still need to calibrate the compass on the PN-40 (or any device with and electronic compass) each time you switch batteries. It isn't terribly necessary but will make it more accurate. On the compass screen push Menu, then Calibrate, then Calibrate Compass and do the steps as indicated. Only takes a few seconds.
Indecision is the key to flexibility.
wvangler

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:42 pm

SnowXRacer wrote: I am now embarking on a new adventure: paperless caching with a laptop. 'Hunter opened my eyes to a whole new world with the laptop on Saturday and when I got home, I found that Delorme provided me with all the software I needed when I bought the GPS. I just never used it!

--Sorry for Hijacking the thread! I will quit now.

that is a whole new world. I have a mount in the Subie for my laptop which works really well when I'm caching solo...otherwise it gets in the way of the passenger side air bag. (although it is, of course, no match for the Jeeputer).

and to bring this thread back around, my Dad's blue garmin is about ready to bite the dust, so it looks like I'll be purchasing him a new GPSr for Christmas. And since he didn't quite take to the Palm paperless caching that we set him up with, I may spend the big bucks and get him something fancier than I have.

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby Pilot J on Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:19 pm

Well, besides the preloaded maps on the 550t I really like punching the touch screen buttons. If it isn't responding I just punch some more, sort of like unresponsive computer keys - just hit 'em again and harder! I like the 550t but it seems some of the necessary toggling back and forth between screens could have been simplified. Backing out of the cache and then re-entering to go back to read the description or uh the clue seems counter-intuitive but then you do get to punch more buttons! But do note: It gobbles battery power. The green bar sinks fast - always carry spare batteries! On a sun up to sun down cache run batteries will have to be changed. Crew
Pilot J

PreviousNext

Return to Resources