So what's up with this OPENCACHING stuff?

Here we can post any and all threads containing useful information pertaining to Geocaching or other subjects

So what's up with this OPENCACHING stuff?

Postby wvhunter1968 on Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:02 pm

So last week on my facebook I posted some pics of my son and his buddy getting the "up and down cache" in Morris Park near Fairmont. A coworker immediatly wanted to "know more!" I talked to her all about the game and she calls me this morning and said Craig I found this cache in Dellslow (near Morgantown) but it won't show as a find. I asked her what the code was and she said "OXZTW25" I was like, huh?? She said yeah, I downloaded the garmin app on my phone. I vaguely recall something breing said about opencaching.com on the geocaching website and so I finally had a reason to look at it and saw the website. Just a small MOrgantown area search reveals 33 caches. So at this point, I guess I have some questions:

1. Do any of you belong and or bother with this website as well?
2. What is the overall reputation and "word on the street regarding opencaching?
3. Have you ever found a cache and thought, wow I don't even recall this being in geocaching.com and found out it was an opencache?

Any other info would be great. I don't want to mock something I don't know and I don't want to know anything more about something that isn't worth looking into. Im so busy with geocaching.com right now I can't image another website to find more stuff really.....
Geocaching profile name is "wvcachers3" as of 9/11/12. All previous logs (680) signed as wvhunter1968. Changed recently to reflect the family activity geocaching has become.
wvhunter1968

Re: So what's up with this OPENCACHING stuff?

Postby Handyman & Fam on Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:26 pm

I downloaded the app for my phone, but the closest cache to me is about 30 miles away.
I registered my username with the site, but haven't had time to do anything other than that.
Handyman & Fam

Postby wvhunter1968 on Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:34 pm

I am seeing caches are few and far between on the sight. Nothing down 79 between Morgantown and Charleston. Sad. IS this something that has been around for a while? IS it expected to take off more than geocachign.com I guess is my other questions?
Geocaching profile name is "wvcachers3" as of 9/11/12. All previous logs (680) signed as wvhunter1968. Changed recently to reflect the family activity geocaching has become.
wvhunter1968

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:09 pm

I just heard about it recently - I can't honestly even remember where or when.

I am happy with GC.com and am personally too lazy to deal with another caching website.
Sidekick LWB said to sidekick engineer, 'I've hung out with people i've met on the internet before but i've never run into any of them in the middle of the woods.' (Upper Yough Trek)

Buffaloes and tigers are one thing, but mustelids are not to be trifled with.
Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby wvhunter1968 on Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:40 am

POny girl....anybody with as many finds as you is definitly not lazy....you just choose to direct your passions where you feel they are best for you at the time. geocaching.com is a very cool website and enjoy not only the searching, but the interaction on the websight/statistics and this forum. Its all good!
wvhunter1968

Postby wvangler on Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:19 am

I've known about it since its inception since I listen to all the different geocaching podcasts weekly, but like SSPG I am satisfied with the number of caches on GC.com and the thought of trying to chase containers on multiple listing services is too overwhelming for me. I downloaded the app on my iPhone, but honestly I've never even opened the app once to even look at it, let alone register. There are actually two opencaching sites. Opencaching.us and Opencaching.com. They are both different. One is a Garmin thing and the other (which was the first of the two) is independent. There used to be terracaching.com and navicaching.com but I think one or both of them have withered away.

If I were going to diversify and do any other listing service activity myself, it would be letterboxing just because it switches things up and uses written directions rather than GPS coordinates. I have found a dozen or so letterboxes and have logged them on Atlasquest.com. I even have one Atlasquest letterbox hidden in Spencer that has been out for 2 years with no finds yet. After finding out about letterboxing I went after a few in the eastern panhandle then have pretty much ignored it since then.
Indecision is the key to flexibility.
wvangler

Postby wvhunter1968 on Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:54 pm

Thanks for the info wvangler. Appreciate the time with your response.
wvhunter1968

Postby Rock_Rat on Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:05 am

I think SSPG touched on the biggest problem all of the alt geocaching sites have had. Most cachers (certainly not all of them) don't want to deal with cross listing, assimilating, tracking, and logging caches from multiple sites. Since gc.com has so many caches and is already so ingrained any other caching site has a very hard time gaining traction. Unless gc.com gets rid of free membership or does something extraordinarily stupid and angers the community I don't think you'll ever see any of the alt's become mainstream.
Murphy was an optimist! - O'toole's commentary on Murphy's law
The perversity of the Universe tends towards a maximum. - O'Toole's Corollary
I think this O'Toole guys onto something. - Rock_Rat's commentary on O'Toole
Rock_Rat

Postby wvhunter1968 on Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:57 am

well said Rock_Rat. I appreciate your input.
wvhunter1968

Return to Resources