GEOCACHING: The social aspect

Here we can post any and all threads containing useful information pertaining to Geocaching or other subjects

GEOCACHING: The social aspect

Postby wvhunter1968 on Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:27 am

As Ive reached my first big milestone, my 100th, and continue on my "cache a day to keep the doctor away" adventures I find the social aspect of geocaching to be quite interesting.

My observations thus far has been:

1. Overall, its a pretty lonely game unless you try to include others. My wife laughs at my obsession but amuses me with a find every now and then because it is soemthign we can do together and my son gets fed up after 3 finds and Im just getting warmed up. I have a coworker that is just as obsessed as I am..problem being is she is female and well, running around the woods too often with another female thats not your wife...may appear inappropriate. Im trying to draw the line...and call often but this girl has amazing eyes (and I do mean she can spot a geocache a mile way! lol!!) and to be honest, just a nice person to hang out with that shares the zest and adventure geocachign offers. So Im kinda stuck between a rock and a hardplace here folks!

2 There are those of you that have clicked together well and have been here for a while. Nothing replaces this except time in the sport and showing up to the social events to get clikced with eachother I realize. I am envious.

3. I can see it's a difficult endeavor to break into this inner sanctum. Just like anything that involves groups and clubs, and that even goes for the church I attend. Disheartening when God's soldiers even have their own click! lol I have experienced the same thing with my shed hunting websights and actually my best buddy from southern WV is a shedhunting friend I met online...so I can see the similarities in human nature.

4. I see many on here that exclaim their love of geocaching then bolt! Like 25-100 caches in! I saw one very active cacher that was at group events, has a few hides, and had gotten fairly well known in your circles at over 100 finds, then moved away. It looks like since being gone, they found one total cache in the new area they live and hasn't even logged in since. I'm like, what happened, man!? lol You were so passionate! lol

5. I am neither a die hard techie like most here are, some of the computer generated "?" caches are too difficult for me to comprehend and I work too much for the next 2 years to get into the social circles I;d like to get into. I can however do an occassional Thursday beer and wing night which would be great. Hopefully I can do one soon, but JUne looks liek a bust with it being switched to the week before it originally was planned for.

Not really sure the purpose of this rant other than wanted to say that Im still here! and I hope to meet some of you all at the beer and wing thing at bare minimum. I am knee deep in work on July 9th so no meat and greet for me....but have occassional weekdays off and actually trying to do the GADGETS at Deckers creek tomorrow if I can get somebody to come along because of the group effort it looks like it involves. But as of right now, no takers so maybe I'l just clean up more Fairmont area caches.

Hope you all have a great day and hope to meet you all. I love beer and wings and so does my wife! lol
Geocaching profile name is "wvcachers3" as of 9/11/12. All previous logs (680) signed as wvhunter1968. Changed recently to reflect the family activity geocaching has become.
wvhunter1968

Re: GEOCACHING: The social aspect

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:44 am

This group is pretty easy to get along with. Oh sure sometimes we bicker like siblings but in the end I know that if I died while caching my compatriots would at least waypoint my body so sidekick could come fetch me later.

No need to be envious of our comraderie, we are always happy to have new folks in MAGPI - although the more you get to know us you may regret being associated with us. Just kidding :lol: There's lots to glean about a person from his/her posts if you can't always get to our in-person get togethers. (For instance, it's pretty obvious I'm a smart alek.) Heck you may be shocked when you meet us in person that we are actually relatively normal.

wvhunter1968 wrote: I am neither a die hard techie like most here are, some of the computer generated "?" caches are too difficult for me to comprehend

yeah...I am a puzzle idiot really. My secret...offer to drive when you find out someone has the answer. Or buy them beer. Beer always helps.
Sidekick LWB said to sidekick engineer, 'I've hung out with people i've met on the internet before but i've never run into any of them in the middle of the woods.' (Upper Yough Trek)

Buffaloes and tigers are one thing, but mustelids are not to be trifled with.
Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby 3_dogs on Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:59 am

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl wrote:...in the end I know that if I died while caching my compatriots would at least waypoint my body so sidekick could come fetch me later.

We'd either make it a puzzle or multi, and use DM11's to hold your eyelids closed.
"Är huvudet dumt får kroppen lida."

Translated - "If the head is dumb the body suffers."
3_dogs

Postby wvhunter on Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:20 pm

3_dogs wrote:
Spotty Spotty Pony Girl wrote:...in the end I know that if I died while caching my compatriots would at least waypoint my body so sidekick could come fetch me later.

We'd either make it a puzzle or multi, and use DM11's to hold your eyelids closed.

How about you find a button tied to a tree? When you press the button a light flashes on the body about 200 feet away!!!
Anatomy (n): something everyone has, but which looks better on a girl.

Life would be so much easier if we could just look at the source code.
wvhunter

Postby wvhunter1968 on Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:42 pm

"How about you find a button tied to a tree? When you press the button a light flashes on the body about 200 feet away!!!"

OMG! lmao!!!!
Geocaching profile name is "wvcachers3" as of 9/11/12. All previous logs (680) signed as wvhunter1968. Changed recently to reflect the family activity geocaching has become.
wvhunter1968

Postby LuckyAquar on Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:59 pm

If I lived closer, I would love to hit Gadgets with you. It is an awesome cache and alot of fun. I had the worst headache after I was done. :grin: Unfortunately I live out near Lost River state park. If you ever get out this way, let me know, I can tell you some great caches in this area to hit.
LuckyAquar

Postby wvhunter1968 on Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:02 pm

Lucky! I appreciate that! Very cool invite and thanks!
wvhunter1968

Postby wvangler on Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:13 am

You start out Geocaching looking for containers in the woods. What you end up finding are good friends.
Indecision is the key to flexibility.
wvangler

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:16 am

wvangler wrote:You start out Geocaching looking for containers in the woods. What you end up finding are good friends.

'Angler, that actually made me go "Aww..." (and I'm not prone to that sort of thing)
Sidekick LWB said to sidekick engineer, 'I've hung out with people i've met on the internet before but i've never run into any of them in the middle of the woods.' (Upper Yough Trek)

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby Rock_Rat on Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:25 am

wvhunter1968 wrote:3. I can see it's a difficult endeavor to break into this inner sanctum. Just like anything that involves groups and clubs, and that even goes for the church I attend. Disheartening when God's soldiers even have their own click! lol I have experienced the same thing with my shed hunting websights and actually my best buddy from southern WV is a shedhunting friend I met online...so I can see the similarities in human nature.

It's really not that difficult. There is the one requirement for a sacrifice of your own blood. That's normally taken care of by joining up for a poorly planned group hunt though so no biggie. :eek: :lol:
Murphy was an optimist! - O'toole's commentary on Murphy's law
The perversity of the Universe tends towards a maximum. - O'Toole's Corollary
I think this O'Toole guys onto something. - Rock_Rat's commentary on O'Toole
Rock_Rat

Postby wvhunter1968 on Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:50 pm

I'm in with the poorly planned group search to see how trained professionals do this stuff. Ive just done all this learning on my own to this point.

And Spotty Pony I think I went "awwwweeee" as well! lol
wvhunter1968

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:52 pm

wvhunter1968 wrote:<snipt>see how trained professionals do this stuff <snipt>

when you find out, do let us know.

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby wvhunter74 on Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:32 pm

in this group its never lonley so come join us caching anytime
wvhunter74

Postby thebuddhaman on Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:05 pm

I couldn't join you today (I was flying home ) but I'm off for the next 3 weeks and I don't have much planned so if you want to try for another day let me know and I'll see if I can join you
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

We didn't inherit this world for our parents.... We borrow it from our children
thebuddhaman

Postby Allysmom24 on Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:48 pm

speaking of caching with the other gender - I cache on the weekends with my husband (Nuggie99) and daughter (3 year old - she goes with me through the week too) but on Friday evenings, I hit the caches with my buddy, wvmikiepar. As long as your wife is ok with your caching partner and your coworker's significant other (if applicable) is ok with it - who cares about anyone else? There are caches to be found and you must find them with whomever you can! :smile:

I'm pretty new at geocaching too - I've not yet hit a year of caching but it's coming up the middle of next month. I can honestly say that at events, facebook, meeting cachers in the woods, etc - I've never felt uncomfortable during social situations. It seems this group (and I believe most geocachers in general) are very welcoming and fun people.
Allysmom24

Next

Return to Resources