So I got my first 2 FTF's!

Here we can post any and all threads containing useful information pertaining to Geocaching or other subjects

So I got my first 2 FTF's!

Postby wvhunter1968 on Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:15 am

I surpassed 100 caches earlier this week, on a 22 day streak of my personal "cache a day" finds, now got my first 2 FTF's!

I saw the competition around here, and I do not have a smart phone with instant notifications and I work 80 hours a week so I thought my chances were slim. So I extended my range for my notifications! I figured the only way to get a FTF was to go remote, drive along ways and get one published on a weekday.

That happened the other day with 2 published by LisaandDarin near the Jockey Hollow Boat launch off of RT40 north of Markleysburg, PA! Not sure how I made it with it being published the night before at 7:11pm and I didn't check my email on my day off that morning til 10:30a but I did. It made it even tighter when I had to be at a wedding rehearsal at 4pm in Clarksburg but I took off for the 80 mile drive none the less!

I ran up there and had a crazy time trying to find the first one. 45 minutes later and climbing up this steep hill several times running frantically around hoping another geocacher wouldn't pull in I found it! I had dirt in my shoes from sliding down the hill, sweat pouring off me, I was breathing like a love sick puppy. Finally I went back to my car.

I slowed down, took my time, read the hint, took a breather and boom! There it was at the exact spot I just tore up minutes before! Well, that hillside will never look the same, but I got the smilie at the end! lol

Thank God the National Road MArker cache wasn't nearly as difficult and had that one in 20 seconds and ran off home....

Good times caching!
Geocaching profile name is "wvcachers3" as of 9/11/12. All previous logs (680) signed as wvhunter1968. Changed recently to reflect the family activity geocaching has become.
wvhunter1968

Re: So I got my first 2 FTF's!

Postby SnowXRacer on Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:31 am

Congrats! Greenie333 and I could never understand how people could get FTFs because by the time we got the email there would be five or ten finds. Then we got smartphones so by the time we got to the cache there was only three or four. Depends on where you are, but sometimes caches go for days without finds and some go minutes.

I will never forget when we just moved to morgantown, there was a cache published 0.8 miles from our place. We were in the middle of cooking dinner when our phones went off. We literally shut off the stove and ran for the car. By the time we got there, Motownman was signing the log and Aquacache was walking up to us from a different parking lot. At that time I figured there was no way I would get a ftf in this town.
SnowXRacer

Postby wvhunter1968 on Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:48 am

snowxracer! Thats what I was waiting to see happen up in PA!!! haha It was described to me previously as the picture you painted in my head! lol. Im glad the 2 I got in PA weren't like that! lol.

I also see the people who looked for my first FTF after me couldn't find it, so that made me feel pretty good I even got it in hand!
Geocaching profile name is "wvcachers3" as of 9/11/12. All previous logs (680) signed as wvhunter1968. Changed recently to reflect the family activity geocaching has become.
wvhunter1968

Postby wvhunter1968 on Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:51 am

I just saw one published at Stonewall Jackson Lake that you need a boat to access it. That may be going too far, somebody inot boating AND geocaching. That one may sit for months before a find.
wvhunter1968

Postby SnowXRacer on Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:25 pm

wvhunter1968 wrote:I just saw one published at Stonewall Jackson Lake that you need a boat to access it. That may be going too far, somebody inot boating AND geocaching. That one may sit for months before a find.

Be prepared to be surprised!
SnowXRacer

Postby Aquacache on Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:30 pm

Yeah, that one may go a week or so, but not likely much more ... unless the coordinates are real bad (which wouldn't surprise me since the hider only has 23 finds and this is their first hide). But since people seem to be becoming more and more "too proud" to log DNFs, even if someone goes after it, you may not hear about it on the cache page.

What does have me wondering is why this would be considered to be accessible by boat only. It is in the state park and there appears to be a road not that far away. Unless the road on the map isn't really there. Several people on here have proven in the past that "accessible by boat only" isn't always the case.

• I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

• I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make when they go flying by.
Aquacache

Postby wvhunter74 on Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:31 pm

congrats
wvhunter74

Postby wvhunter1968 on Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:08 am

thanks for the reponse aqua and congrats I've gotten from all. Ill keep my eye open for that stonewall and see what happens.
wvhunter1968

Postby wvangler on Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:59 pm

Boat only caches are a blast. I rented a canoe to do some on an island in the Potomac River about 10 miles from Harper's Ferry for the Fizzy. I drove 4 1/2 hours to do them. Then I found out the river was pretty swollen so we had to basically crash land on the island since the river was cranking at a pretty fast velocity.

Any cache that requires extraordinary effort to get to or special equipment is a first class cache in my book.

Congrats on the FTF's. I remember the excitement of my first couple of FTF's. I really have lost that vigor for them though.
Indecision is the key to flexibility.
wvangler

Postby LuckyAquar on Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:56 pm

I never thought about renting a boat, here i have been trying to find someone with a boat to take me geocaching. :grin:
LuckyAquar

Return to Resources