c:geo abandoned

Here we can post any and all threads containing useful information pertaining to Geocaching or other subjects

c:geo abandoned

Postby SnowXRacer on Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:19 am

The developer of c:geo posted this note this morning on facebook:

http://post.carnero.cc/cgeo

Looks like there will no longer be any development for c:geo. That's a shame since it is such a good app. Although I have never used the official app for android, it looks like I will have to buy that one when c:geo eventually quits working. Now would be a good time to know how to program android apps to take over the development.
SnowXRacer

Re: c:geo abandoned

Postby Aquacache on Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:14 pm

CARP!! That really sucks ... because the "official" geocaching app does (sucks, that is). Maybe we'll get lucky and some Android programmer will pick it up and keep it going. Even if there's a fee added, it will still be light years ahead of the official app.

• I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

• I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make when they go flying by.
Aquacache

Postby wvhunter74 on Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:31 pm

that bites
wvhunter74

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:43 am

SnowXRacer wrote:The developer of c:geo posted this note this morning on facebook:

http://post.carnero.cc/cgeo

Looks like there will no longer be any development for c:geo. That's a shame since it is such a good app. Although I have never used the official app for android, it looks like I will have to buy that one when c:geo eventually quits working. Now would be a good time to know how to program android apps to take over the development.

as Aquacache said, the offical GC.com app sucks.

it fails all the time.

and it is pretty expensive as far as apps go.
Sidekick LWB said to sidekick engineer, 'I've hung out with people i've met on the internet before but i've never run into any of them in the middle of the woods.' (Upper Yough Trek)

Buffaloes and tigers are one thing, but mustelids are not to be trifled with.
Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby Rock_Rat on Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:24 am

It looks like there's a gc.com build coming up on the 28th so that may be the end of c:geo.
Murphy was an optimist! - O'toole's commentary on Murphy's law
The perversity of the Universe tends towards a maximum. - O'Toole's Corollary
I think this O'Toole guys onto something. - Rock_Rat's commentary on O'Toole
Rock_Rat

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:28 am

Rock_Rat wrote:It looks like there's a gc.com build coming up on the 28th so that may be the end of c:geo.

if that is the case, then there is a high probability that spontaneous and unplanned caching is going to be a little more difficult. Unless of course the folks responsible for the official GC.com app get their stuff together.

And I was figuring on c:geo coming to my rescue during GW9.

Crud.
Sidekick LWB said to sidekick engineer, 'I've hung out with people i've met on the internet before but i've never run into any of them in the middle of the woods.' (Upper Yough Trek)

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby SnowXRacer on Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:28 am

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl wrote:
And I was figuring on c:geo coming to my rescue during GW9.

Crud.

I too was planning on heavily relying on c:geo while we were up there. Of course I ran my PQs and will put them on my GPS, but c:geo is just too darn convenient. That is REALLY POOR timing on GC.com's part if this update kills c:geo.
SnowXRacer

Postby pbump on Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:31 pm

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl wrote:if that is the case, then there is a high probability that spontaneous and unplanned caching is going to be a little more difficult. Unless of course the folks responsible for the official GC.com app get their stuff together.

Unless of course you load 5,000+ records in your NUVI....but who would do such a thing?
“It's faster horses, younger women, older whiskey and more money.” Tom T. Hall
"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow." Nanook's Mamma

"Corripe Cervisiam"

pbump

Postby SnowXRacer on Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:13 pm

Geocaching.com is back up from when I checked earlier today. I just checked c:geo and it looks to still be working. Here is to hoping it continues through GWS weekend!
SnowXRacer

Postby SnowXRacer on Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:15 am

New post from c:Geo this morning on Facebook:

c:geo is now released under Apache v2 opensource licence. Basicly anyone can now do anything with it. A c:geo as we know today will no longer exist. New Market application will have to be published and used. For the new app the name can also be changed and I am waiting for suggestions.
SnowXRacer

Postby SnowXRacer on Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:47 pm

More news from c:geo in order that they posted.

------

No doubt about the name any more. c:geo will get on the market in less than a week. An uninstall and reinstall will be required and 1st version will be the same as now, just 2 small fixes for changes on GC.com After that... More developers we get a better application will be!

------

A market version of c:geo opensource RC is out. Only 2 small fixes affected by GC.com update. Go to market and search cgeo.geocaching Application name is "c:geo - opensource". Data from old to new c:geo is not preserved (two different applications) and teoretically both can be installed at the same time. However if you backup caches in settings of old app and restore in new they are transfered.

------

The first version of the new c:geo is at the market and ready for you! We got many things to do, we know! It would be nice if you support as a bit. Just leave a rating at the market for the new one! It helps us to replace the old c:geo version which will be outdated soon. Thanks a lot to all of you who support us and help to keep it alive! Market: http://market.android.com/deta ils?id=cgeo.geocaching

I've downloaded the new app and so far I haven't had any problems to speak of.
SnowXRacer

Postby SnowXRacer on Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:48 pm

So it looks like today C:geo tried to create an event in Germany to meet its followers but it was denied. I surely hope that this was due to a reviewer not wanting to allow it and not an action from Groundspeak. They are still having the event, but published it on opencaching.com.
SnowXRacer

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:37 am

SnowXRacer wrote:So it looks like today C:geo tried to create an event in Germany to meet its followers but it was denied. I surely hope that this was due to a reviewer not wanting to allow it and not an action from Groundspeak. They are still having the event, but published it on opencaching.com.

Perhaps the denial fell under the "commercial in nature" heading. You know, like the event up at Cabelas was no longer allowed to use the name Cabelas.

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Return to Resources