CacheMaps

Here we can post any and all threads containing useful information pertaining to Geocaching or other subjects

CacheMaps

Postby Knight who says Ni on Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:14 pm

While surfing Crackberry.com, I came across this link: http://www.cachemaps.com/Downloads.php

Does anyone know if this program is any good?
Adventure is a romantic name for trouble. ~Louis L'Amour
Knight who says Ni

Re: CacheMaps

Postby scoutingwv on Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:06 pm

Wondering if you ever tried this program or if you just decided to use Blackstar instead?
scoutingwv

Postby Knight who says Ni on Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:18 pm

I ended up going with Blackstar. It takes forever to get a lock, but then works really well. SSPG has had much better luck with the lock due to her hollex gps receiver. Evidently, I need to invest in one of those! :grin:
Knight who says Ni

Postby moneytastesbad on Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:33 pm

Ive been using blackstar for a few months (since Sept). I did my first 4 caches with it. It is pretty good. The problem is getting the damn GPSr in the blackberry to lock in. I just recently got the Vista HCx, and I don't see myself using BlackStar anymore. But I do really like CacheBerry.
moneytastesbad

Postby Knight who says Ni on Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:50 am

moneytastesbad wrote:Ive been using blackstar for a few months (since Sept). I did my first 4 caches with it. It is pretty good. The problem is getting the damn GPSr in the blackberry to lock in.

I have had the same problem. SSPG said with her receiver, Blackstar locks in a few minutes. Sounds good to me!
Knight who says Ni

Postby scoutingwv on Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:02 am

Haven't checked to see if the OS upgrades change any of the GPS functionality or not. Which model Blackberry do you guys have? Mine is an 8830.
scoutingwv

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:37 am

scoutingwv wrote:Haven't checked to see if the OS upgrades change any of the GPS functionality or not. Which model Blackberry do you guys have? Mine is an 8830.

you and your world phone of goodness...

I've got the pearl 8130

my carrier is US Cellular which is why I need to use the external GPSr.
Sidekick LWB said to sidekick engineer, 'I've hung out with people i've met on the internet before but i've never run into any of them in the middle of the woods.' (Upper Yough Trek)

Buffaloes and tigers are one thing, but mustelids are not to be trifled with.
Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby moneytastesbad on Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:53 am

I have the 8330 Curve also w/ US Cellular. Are you sure that you HAVE to use the external GPSr? I can get a lock with my internal GPSr, it is just not reliable.

Also, I know it is using the GPSr and not just triangulating based on the cell phone towers, because when I fire up Google Maps or BlackBerry Maps, at first it will give me my location within something like 1000 meters, and it says it is waiting on the GPS. Eventually (sometimes) it locks in and gives me my location with in 10 meters.
moneytastesbad

Postby scoutingwv on Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:11 pm

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl wrote:you and your world phone of goodness...<snip>

Don't be a hater.
scoutingwv

Postby Knight who says Ni on Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:35 pm

I also have the 8130 Pearl. My phone will lock, but is very VERY slow about it. SSPG, from your description, I thought the receiver would help it lock? Maybe I got confused. :???:
Knight who says Ni

Postby scoutingwv on Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:39 pm

Installed Blackstar the other night and tried it out this morning. Initially took a while to lock, but after I edited the waypoint and added the (-) in front of the W coordinate, it snapped right in. Also, immediately went from the wrong direction an 6800+ miles away to the right direction and 12+ miles away - go figure.

I'll probably try importing a GPX file this weekend.
scoutingwv

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:37 pm

Knight who says Ni wrote:SSPG, from your description, I thought the receiver would help it lock? Maybe I got confused. :???:

I stopped even trying to use the internal GPSr on my BB . I have never gotten a lock using the internal GPSr feature on my BB when using Blackberry maps, no matter how long I waited. I have once gotten a lock using the internal GPSr feature on my BB with google maps, but it only gave a vague idea of where I was (despite being on I-79), so I find it to be useless for my purposes.

Therefore.....

my Holux bluetooth GPSr is indeed what I use in combination with the BlackStar program for my BB. And it locks in a few seconds for the most part.

Doesn't matter what the Holux GPSr itself is sending the signal to - whether it be my PDA or my BB. it locks fast, holds tight and is very accurate (thanks to the very nice Sirf III chip)
Sidekick LWB said to sidekick engineer, 'I've hung out with people i've met on the internet before but i've never run into any of them in the middle of the woods.' (Upper Yough Trek)

Buffaloes and tigers are one thing, but mustelids are not to be trifled with.
Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby scoutingwv on Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:22 pm

Looks like there's been an improvement in the GPS functionality between our models. Mine has always been accurate enough using google maps. Haven't used the BB maps since I got the thing.

Sure isn't a replacement for the XJKS8000000', but good to have handy.
scoutingwv

Postby Knight who says Ni on Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:33 pm

scoutingwv wrote:Looks like there's been an improvement in the GPS functionality between our models. Mine has always been accurate enough using google maps. Haven't used the BB maps since I got the thing.

Sure isn't a replacement for the XJKS8000000', but good to have handy.

:u:

I got a lock with the BB maps easily in Chicago and New York. Twice in Charleston. And nothing since. That is why I suggested the receiver. I didn't know if your BB was any better.
Knight who says Ni

Postby moneytastesbad on Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:51 pm

Mine is pretty accurate WHEN it gets a lock. I found my first cache using just my BB Curve and BlackStar. And once it gets a lock, it is not too bad about losing it, even under the heavy tree canopies in the Snake Hill WMA. The only problem is getting it to lock in the first place.
moneytastesbad

Next

Return to Resources