Hiding Geocaches

Discussions on this group and ways to improve it.

Moderator: Moderator

Hiding Geocaches

Postby JAB824 on Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:10 pm

I have found a little over 100 caches but most of them were easy P&Gs. So I still would consider myself still pretty new to geocaching. I have 8 or so cache containers and I am wanting to start putting them out. I was just wondering if anyone could give me some tips/advice. Thanks
JAB824

Re: Hiding Geocaches

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:29 pm

My two cents.

When I'm placing a cache, one thing I try to do is average my coordinates (my GPS does that for me, no math needed). After letting it average and marking the hide, I go away and then use the coords to see how close I can get.

You might want to include a pencil and sharpener - in the dead of winter around here pens tend to not work or, worse yet, explode.

Good luck!
Sidekick LWB said to sidekick engineer, 'I've hung out with people i've met on the internet before but i've never run into any of them in the middle of the woods.' (Upper Yough Trek)

Buffaloes and tigers are one thing, but mustelids are not to be trifled with.
Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Re: Hiding Geocaches

Postby ruanwv on Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:42 pm

My first suggestion is to go after some challenging caches - to see what you really enjoy most and then create a cache in that vein. The second suggestion is not mine alone but I am a true believer - don't put a cache in a spot that doesn't have some redeeming value other than having a cache there. In other words, pick a spot that is special to you and you will be rewarded with the satisfaction of sharing your spot with others (and favorite points if you do it well)!

SSPG's comments about averaging and then checking the coordinates (before publishing them) are right on - it's really embarrasing for your FTF to say the coordinates are off...

But the most important suggestion ... just go for it!! :grin:
"Errors, like straws, upon the surface flow; He who would search for pearls must dive below." RUANWV
ruanwv

Return to Group Discussions