Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives of the Mountain State

A place to post your favorite recipes.

Re: Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives of the Mountain State

Postby Lledier on Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:48 pm

scoutingwv wrote:
wvangler wrote:I should mention that most of our yankee WV counterparts dig on Yann's in Fairmont.

Been going there since I was a kid, but I firmly believe your food shouldn't hurt. Yann's isn't at all about the dog - it's all about the sauce.

I remember taking a guy from Pittsburgh in there once and letting him ask for ketchup ... THAT was fun to watch.

I LOVE Yann's!!! And yes, you DO NOT ask for Ketchup. He will ban you. lol.

and saying I love Yann's...well, I've been known to eat Habenaros whole and raw....and I love Dave's Insanity Sauce. :drink:
No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Lledier

Postby Aquacache on Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:57 pm

I was surprised it took this long for someone to mention Cool Springs ... best (and probably only) foot-long dogs around, but could stand to have some better sauce.

There is a Hometown Hotdogs in Star City and also one in Granville that could be mistaken for Westover. I had a couple from the one in Granville for lunch on Monday ... decent sauce.

Yeah, slaw makes a nice side dish. But has no place on a hotdog; as any civilized person will tell you.

Fairmont - Woody's ... I think those dogs rank right up there with Yann's. For the wimps that can't handle the true hotdog sauce; try having a chocolate milk with it.

Bowden (Elkins) - Bella's ... Good BBQ sandwich and onion rings. Everything else I've had there is good also.

Beverly - Mama's Kitchen ... Good home-style country cookin'. Nice little breakfast buffet.

• I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

• I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make when they go flying by.
Aquacache

Postby wvangler78 on Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:00 pm

Choo Choo's - New Martinsville
DiCarlo's Pizza - Glen Dale
Ruby's - Pine Grove
Valley Diner - Pine Grove
Coleman's Fish Market - Wheeling
Bogg's Pizza - Middlebourne
Young's Cafeteria - Glen Dale
"Wherever the trout are, it's beautiful." - Thomas Masaryck
wvangler78

Postby wvangler on Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:07 pm

nice bump on this thread.

Weekend before last I ate, for the second time, at Hellbender's Burritos in Davis. Awesome burritos. I also like Habenero's Burritos on the main drag in Martinsburg - especially since a good buddy of mine manages the joint - but Hellbender's is way better. First time I ate there was with PilotJ and Crew, went back and it was even better the second time around...especially since I got the S'mores Cheesecake to cap the infant human sized burrito. Not sure if coffee shops fit in this thread, but Hypnocoffee in Davis is the best...followed by the coffee shop on main street in Shepherdstown.

Siriani's has a store in Canaan now too btw. I've eaten there twice in the past year. Their pies are nowhere near as good as Lola's, but it's the location man. That said, I'm surprised wvangler78 didn't throw in a mention for the Elk Springs kitchen at the fly shop along the banks of Elk River in Monterville. My experience is that it'll take 3 1/2 hours to get your burger, but you can't beat the location.

Thumbs down on the Vietnamese lunch place in South Charleston, thumb sideways on the African lunch place in Morgantown. Big thumbs up on Pies and Pints in Fayetteville and now in downtown Charleston (Capitol St) - thanks to Watts for getting me addicted to their white pie & dead guy. Thumbs up to The Vandalian in Fayetteville.
Indecision is the key to flexibility.
wvangler

Postby wvangler78 on Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:50 pm

Actually I have never ate at Elk Springs but they sure have a great view! Always went for a Valley Head Market bacon cheesburger when the See's owned it!

Undo's - Benwood
Red Rooster - Gassaway (Great lasagna)
Miss Blue's - Hundred
"Wherever the trout are, it's beautiful." - Thomas Masaryck
wvangler78

Postby Aquacache on Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:54 pm

A couple places we've eaten in the past few weeks that were pretty good:

CJ's Pizzeria in Parsons - Great food and huge portions

Dianne's Restaurant in Belington - Good sandwiches

• I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

• I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make when they go flying by.
Aquacache

Previous

Return to Geo-Fuel