WV County Challenge Cache

Here we can cover all things geo-challenge related.

WV County Challenge Cache

Postby Pilot J on Fri May 08, 2009 4:48 pm

WVAngler has put out a WV County Challenge Cache for all to enjoy and have a reason to visit the Great State of WV up close and personal. GC1QWJF Pilot J & Crew
Pilot J

Re: WV County Challenge Cache

Postby wvhunter74 on Fri May 08, 2009 6:09 pm

congrats to pilot J on the ftf on this one
wvhunter74

Postby 89SC on Fri May 08, 2009 6:54 pm

It's going to take two more trips south for me to get this one. I have to come down and get Lincoln and Boone and then send in my stats before I can come back down and finish it.
Growing Old is compulsory, Growing up is Optional!
89SC

Postby Pilot J on Fri May 08, 2009 8:17 pm

ITSNOTABOUTTHENUMBERS.com was soooo simple to get eligibility confirmed. We were lucky enough to catch WVangler at home and he had us approved in no time. No delay at all while waiting on confirmation. Course we were lucky enough to catch him at home and not out grabbing 22 smiley's in 2 hours. The final is a nice jaunt in the woods if you can find a day without rain! (Can't seem to type the darn webpage correctly. LOL)
Last edited by Pilot J on Fri May 08, 2009 9:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pilot J

Postby wvangler on Fri May 08, 2009 8:23 pm

Pilot J wrote:ITSALLABOUTTHENUMBERS was soooo simple to get eligibility confirmed. We were lucky enough to catch WVangler at home and he had us approved in no time. No delay at all while waiting on confirmation. Course we were lucky enough to catch him at home and not out grabbing 22 smiley's in 2 hours. The final is a nice jaunt in the woods if you can find a day without rain!

Now Now, I had to jump back in front of you for a little bit just to give you some renewed motivation since you trumped the County Challenge. Trust me, you'll jump back in the lead soon enough. Remember, I'm about to move AND start building a house AND possibly get a new job that keeps me off the roads.

89SC, you won't have to "come back down" for the final. Trust me.
Indecision is the key to flexibility.
wvangler

Postby Aquacache on Fri May 08, 2009 9:48 pm

wvangler wrote:<snip>

89SC, you won't have to "come back down" for the final. Trust me.

Yes ... I seem to remember reading something about it in this post.

• I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

• I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make when they go flying by.
Aquacache

Postby Knight who says Ni on Sat May 09, 2009 11:05 am

89SC wrote:It's going to take two more trips south for me to get this one. I have to come down and get Lincoln and Boone and then send in my stats before I can come back down and finish it.

Call when you head south. Hopefully we can pull together a group hunt!
Adventure is a romantic name for trouble. ~Louis L'Amour
Knight who says Ni

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Mon May 03, 2010 12:20 pm

I have five counties remaining: Wayne, Logan, Mingo, Summers, Monroe.

Now the question is....what type of super pony effort am I am going to have to put forth to get Summers and Monroe? Well, if it keeps raining this week while I'm on vacation, I'm may well end up taking a drive south.
Sidekick LWB said to sidekick engineer, 'I've hung out with people i've met on the internet before but i've never run into any of them in the middle of the woods.' (Upper Yough Trek)

Buffaloes and tigers are one thing, but mustelids are not to be trifled with.
Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby wvangler on Mon May 03, 2010 3:38 pm

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl wrote:I have five counties remaining: Wayne, Logan, Mingo, Summers, Monroe.

Now the question is....what type of super pony effort am I am going to have to put forth to get Summers and Monroe? Well, if it keeps raining this week while I'm on vacation, I'm may well end up taking a drive south.

Well done Pony. The crummy part is, it would be a super challenge to do all of those in a day. Logan and Mingo - piece of cake. Plenty to choose from and only 1 to 2 hours from Charleston (but a long dang ways from Morgantown!). You should've gotten Wayne when you were in Huntington last. Just a quick 15 minute drive from Huntington to Kenova and Wayne County is in the bag...not to mention you can go to Ceredo and eat at Rocco's. The Langostino is absolutely jaw dropping it is so good.

You owe yourself a trip to Summers and Monroe anyway. Those are both awesome places. Go to the Hinton Dairy Queen, kick up your feet by the fireplace and order a steak. You can sneak away with a find in Monroe County by going to Princeton, then to Rick Creek, VA then up to Peterstown (home of Chad Johnston - about a 20 minute drive from Princeton), but that is cheating IMO. Monroe Co is one of the prettiest counties and worth a trip on up (or down) to Union. Be sure to wear your blue and gold down there though. The burnt orange and maroon chokies stuff is enough to make you puke. If you're not careful you'll forget you are in West Virginia.
wvangler

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Mon May 03, 2010 3:51 pm

wvangler wrote:Well done Pony. The crummy part is, it would be a super challenge to do all of those in a day. Logan and Mingo - piece of cake. Plenty to choose from and only 1 to 2 hours from Charleston (but a long dang ways from Morgantown!). You should've gotten Wayne when you were in Huntington last. <snipt>

I think the last time I was in Huntington was on our way to GeoWoodstock. And we were just trying to pass through to cross into Ohio and get to our hotel. But maybe I'm imagining that.

wvangler wrote:You owe yourself a trip to Summers and Monroe anyway. Those are both awesome places. Go to the Hinton Dairy Queen, kick up your feet by the fireplace and order a steak. You can sneak away with a find in Monroe County by going to Princeton, then to Rick Creek, VA then up to Peterstown (home of Chad Johnston - about a 20 minute drive from Princeton), but that is cheating IMO. Monroe Co is one of the prettiest counties and worth a trip on up (or down) to Union.

Looks like my schedule may be changing for the upcoming week so I may have an opportunity to hit Monroe & Summers but we'll see. I have so many challenges on my docket that I fear I'll run out of life before I'm done!
Sidekick LWB said to sidekick engineer, 'I've hung out with people i've met on the internet before but i've never run into any of them in the middle of the woods.' (Upper Yough Trek)

Buffaloes and tigers are one thing, but mustelids are not to be trifled with.
Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby 89SC on Mon May 03, 2010 9:37 pm

I picked up 3 in the same area of Summers County right off I-64:
GC15Z81
GC15ZYA
GC15Z8C

I only have one find in Monroe. I went down 219 off I-64 to get GC13FZN. I see there's an earthcache at Organ Cave now which is a lot closer to I-64. I haven't been there since I was a kid. It's GC278R7.
89SC

Postby 89SC on Mon May 03, 2010 9:38 pm

Wow, no finds yet on Organ Cave. You could get FTF :grin:
89SC

Postby wvangler on Tue May 04, 2010 6:20 am

That's funny. I was driving past Organ Cave a couple of weeks ago and thought to myself "someone should create an earthcache there". Then my buddy tayhanstick (originally from Spencer) created it after I was just there. I guess that means another trip as I'm trying to finish up the WV earthcaches (going after the ones in Huntington today and the ones in Williamson tomorrow).

Hinton is a neat town. The views of the New River from Rt. 20 are breathtaking. Sandstone Falls is a really cool park to visit and hike out to the falls (National Park Service - so you know they do it right). The museum in town has some neat things to check out. The Hinton Dairy Queen speaks for itself - it was even featured in Noah Adams' book 'Far Appalachia'. I was thinking that Bluestone SP and Pipestem SP were also necessary for the VIPP if you are working on that.

89SC wrote:I picked up 3 in the same area of Summers County right off I-64:
GC15Z81
GC15ZYA
GC15Z8C

Two of those are a piece of cake, but GC15Z81 is a nightmare if you ask me. I spent 30 minutes on it before giving up. Of course I wasn't too keen on digging through all the meth lab waste dumped everywhere up there to find it either. The NPS visitor's center at Meadow Creek is really cool. Did you check it out? The tile floor is designed like the length of the New River - it is amazing. If you check out the smallmouth bass video of mine on youtube you'll see views of Sandstone Falls and some scenes of one of my float trips from Sandstone Falls to Meadow Creek. That's a fun stretch to float.
wvangler

Postby 89SC on Tue May 04, 2010 7:03 am

As usual, it was nearly dark and it was closed when I got there.
89SC

Postby Lledier on Mon May 10, 2010 4:23 pm

He loves to do them in the dark after things are closed. :lol:
No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Lledier

Next

Return to Challenge Arena