WV Fizzy Challenge

Here we can cover all things geo-challenge related.

WV Fizzy Challenge

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:19 pm

I know there are a few other MAGPI out there working to fill in the missing squares for the WV Fizzy Challenge.

After caching in Parkersburg Sunday Aquacache & I managed to knock off 4 squares

Still need 16 squares and a CITO event. Doesn't someone have some trash that needs cleaned up? Hey wait, my basement is pretty bad.....

Matrix Updated as of 4/23/11 - I now have 2 squares left. Yay.

SSPG_Matrix.JPG
SSPG_Matrix.JPG (30.19 KB) Viewed 1231 times
Last edited by Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:59 am, edited 7 times in total.
Sidekick LWB said to sidekick engineer, 'I've hung out with people i've met on the internet before but i've never run into any of them in the middle of the woods.' (Upper Yough Trek)

Buffaloes and tigers are one thing, but mustelids are not to be trifled with.
Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Re: WV Fizzy Challenge

Postby wvangler on Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:05 pm

I'm envious of that grid. You're way ahead of me. Here are squares that I have that you don't and my comments about them:

- High on a Hill in Barboursville 1.5/5 - If you can get time to go to Barboursville you can coordinate with LETSRACE on the KYOWVA board to bring his rappelling stuff out. I'm sure you could get another group together to get it. Eli ( of EliJoMikiMini) I'm sure is up for another attempt :grin: .

- Cedar Chest 1.5/4 - Nice, relatively easy hike in Cedar Creek State Park. You can get that from Morgantown pretty easily.

- Chimney Top 4/4.5 - This one is all you. You know it is true.

- Hawks Nest Dam Cache 4.5/2.5 - PilotJ, Crew and myself got this one a week or two ago. It is doable, but stay above the trail (I spent 30 minutes below the trail for nothing).

- WV DeLorme Challenge 5/2.5 - nuff said...conveniently near Hawks Nest Dam Cache to boot

- Elevation Issue GCXEXT 5/1.5 (State College, PA) - Big time S.O.B., but you have my phone-a-friend if you decide to go for this one.

Your completion of the Fizzy from where you stand is a lot more promising than mine. Best I can tell I've got several out of state trips to work out before I can get within striking distance.
Indecision is the key to flexibility.
wvangler

Postby Aquacache on Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:33 pm

Here's mine. Looks about the same as yours right now ... 16 to go, but a couple different ones.
(image will update as they get filled in)

Yeah, I was bored. :roll: :lol:

EDIT: Fixed it.
Last edited by Aquacache on Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:02 am, edited 3 times in total.

• I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

• I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make when they go flying by.
Aquacache

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:42 pm

Aquacache wrote:Here's mine. Looks about the same as yours right now ... 16 to go, but a couple different ones.
(image will update as they get filled in)

and here I thought you were hard at work. Silly me.

wvangler wrote:I'm envious of that grid. You're way ahead of me. Here are squares that I have that you don't and my comments about them:

- High on a Hill in Barboursville 1.5/5 - If you can get time to go to Barboursville you can coordinate with LETSRACE on the KYOWVA board to bring his rappelling stuff out. I'm sure you could get another group together to get it. Eli ( of EliJoMikiMini) I'm sure is up for another attempt :grin: .

have you been talking to 89SC again?

wvangler wrote:- Chimney Top 4/4.5 - This one is all you. You know it is true.

on the schedule for November 15.

and oh yeah, I have several weeks of vacation that are schedule randomly through the end of the year. I'm planning to knock off the D1.5 / T4 and D4.5 / T1 on those days.
Last edited by Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sidekick LWB said to sidekick engineer, 'I've hung out with people i've met on the internet before but i've never run into any of them in the middle of the woods.' (Upper Yough Trek)

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby Aquacache on Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:56 pm

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl wrote:and here I thought you were hard at work. Silly me.

Just finished putting out one fire and didn't feel like starting on the others quite yet. :mrgreen: Then I get a message that the network is going down (including phones) at 5:15pm, so I get to leave on time today! :banana:

Uh ... that may be a problem since I threw that image on my backup server here at the office. :shock:

• I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make when they go flying by.
Aquacache

Postby Handyman & Fam on Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:59 pm

Never heard that called the Fizzy Challenge before. Someone that found one of my caches, that is 4.5/4 called it their Matrix.
What is the story behind calling it the Fizzy Challenge?
Handyman & Fam

Postby 89SC on Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:23 pm

GC1XN92, WV's "Well Rounded" Fizzy Challenge. Basically, you have to find one cache of each of the 81 possible combinations of difficulty and terrain.
Growing Old is compulsory, Growing up is Optional!
89SC

Postby 89SC on Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:29 pm

My Fizzy chart:

Last edited by 89SC on Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:55 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Growing Old is compulsory, Growing up is Optional!
89SC

Postby Aquacache on Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:03 pm

Yes, the Fizzy Challenge is the cache. The pictures we are posting are of our Difficulty/Terrain matrix. Fill out the matrix, then find the cache ... more or less.

May have to head down to the southern part of the state. Looks like you have a some down there that could fill in a square or two. :grin:

Aquacache

Postby wvangler on Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:16 am

I never have time to update my geocaching.com profile stats (via GSAK), but I did upload my matrix yesterday to itsnotaboutthenumbers.com. I have all my notes for "where I need to go" handwritten out. The only ones I haven't identified any caches for are 4.5D/4T and 5D/4T. It also is looking like Stick 'em Up (4.5/1) in Parkersburg is not there nor ever will be again. I've emailed the cache owner (The Noid) multiple times over the past few months about it and he/she doesn't respond to my emails.

Here are the ones I think I'm going to have to go out of state for - 4/2.5 (GC1T7MG in Radford, Virginia), 4.5/3 (GCNECC in Shawnee, Ohio), 4.5/3.5 (GC1DKKR in Radford, Virginia), 5/3.5 (GC1TQCB in Radford, Virginia), 1/4.5 (GC17HQ2 in Jackson, Kentucky but it hasn't been found in a while, if not, may have to go to South Holston Lake in Tennessee and boat to one there to get that square :???: ), 1/5 (GC1J11B in Big Stone Gap, Virginia) and 3.5/5 (Eagle Island in Louisa, Kentucky via boat). If anyone else has those same caches targeted let me know so we can coordinate a carpool. If you know of any that fill those gaps closer to "home" I'd surely appreciate it.

The "Fizzy" part of the Fizzy Challenge was named after a cacher known as FizzyMagic. See the info here:

http://www.cacheopedia.com/wiki/Fizzy_Challenge

I plan to host a CITO sometime next spring. Does it count if you are the host? Perhaps my son - DiegoAnimalRescuer - may have to host it :smile:
wvangler

Postby wvangler on Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:22 am

Well done Buddhaman on completing the challenge. That's a lot of work, though, for a 10 word log! I think I'm going to end up spending $1000 on gas on this thing and possibly more shed blood. Maybe I'll log it as "found, TFTC" :lol:
wvangler

Postby Aquacache on Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:39 am

For thebuddhaman, 10 words is a rave review! :lol: Man of few words. Congratulations, buddy!

wvangler wrote:Here are the ones I think I'm going to have to go out of state for - 4/2.5 (GC1T7MG in Radford, Virginia), 4.5/3 (GCNECC in Shawnee, Ohio), 4.5/3.5 (GC1DKKR in Radford, Virginia), 5/3.5 (GC1TQCB in Radford, Virginia), 1/4.5 (GC17HQ2 in Jackson, Kentucky but it hasn't been found in a while, if not, may have to go to South Holston Lake in Tennessee and boat to one there to get that square :???: ), 1/5 (GC1J11B in Big Stone Gap, Virginia) and 3.5/5 (Eagle Island in Louisa, Kentucky via boat). If anyone else has those same caches targeted let me know so we can coordinate a carpool. If you know of any that fill those gaps closer to "home" I'd surely appreciate it.

Here are a couple of the ones you need that I've found ... both are in WV up this way, but may not be any closer for you.

D3.5/T5 GCX2H9 - Under The Sycamore
D4/T2.5 GCQFNK - Chemistry

Aquacache

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:27 am

Aquacache wrote:Here are a couple of the ones you need that I've found ... both are in WV up this way, but may not be any closer for you.

D3.5/T5 GCX2H9 - Under The Sycamore
D4/T2.5 GCQFNK - Chemistry

good timing since 'angler said he was going to be in Morgantown today. Now to see if he remembered to bring a boat for Sycamore

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby thebuddhaman on Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:38 pm

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl wrote:I know there are a few other MAGPI out there working to fill in the missing squares for the WV Fizzy Challenge.

After caching in Parkersburg Sunday Aquacache & I managed to knock off 4 squares

Still need 16 squares and a CITO event. Doesn't someone have some trash that needs cleaned up? Hey wait, my basement is pretty bad.....

SSPG_Fizzy_Nov_1.JPG

you can pick up a few grids between west newton and greensburg one is pine run (gc1cwzg) there are several caches at the camp including a night cache the other is word puzzle cache (gcr7md)
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

We didn't inherit this world for our parents.... We borrow it from our children
thebuddhaman

Postby Aquacache on Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:44 am

thebuddhaman wrote:you can pick up a few grids between west newton and greensburg one is pine run (gc1cwzg) there are several caches at the camp including a night cache the other is word puzzle cache (gcr7md)

Those are on our list as possibles ... along with a few others up that way.

Aquacache

Next

Return to Challenge Arena