WV Fizzy Challenge

Here we can cover all things geo-challenge related.

Re: WV Fizzy Challenge

Postby Aquacache on Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:46 pm

89SC wrote:... I drove all the way to Hagerstown for the first cache, back to Cumberland and down to Romney for the second and back to Cumberland for the third.

I was looking at doing those this past Saturday as well, but decided to break my clutch line instead. :lol:

• I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

• I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make when they go flying by.
Aquacache

Postby 89SC on Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:17 pm

The ones in Hagerstown and Romney are really easy. Just make sure you read my log on Fort Pearsall. There is a mistake on the cache page with the math. I should have had that one done over a year ago.
Growing Old is compulsory, Growing up is Optional!
89SC

Postby wvangler on Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:56 am

Was just doing some Fizzy planning and noticed that yet another of my finds has had the D/T changed since I last checked. :mad: So that takes me back to needing 15 more combo's.

FYI, a little rotary winged bird told me that he was considering hosting a CITO soon near Huntington.
Indecision is the key to flexibility.
wvangler

Postby 89SC on Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:45 pm

I drove 130 miles just to DNF a 4.5D, 3T today :mad: I thought I'd get this one. Sure it was a big pile of rocks but it's listed as small instead of micro and it was found last week. I did finally get a 5D, 1.5T on the fourth different cache that I've tried. I'll be glad when this is over and I can go back to playing in the woods.
89SC

Postby wvangler on Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:47 am

My goal was to finish the Fizzy by the end of 2010, but without a doubt it will consume me until I'm finished by this spring. Of course I'm forced to wait for warmer weather before jumping in the river with my belly boat to get to the boat required caches.

Finally found a way to get a Fizzy only stat image without using GSAK (which is difficult for me to use on my home desktop considering my USB wireless adapter is very unreliable).

wvangler

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:29 pm

thanks to MAGPI for helping out Saturday and to 89SC today, Aquacache & I knocked off two more Fizzy squares which puts us both with only 7 left.

I'm going to have to drive to parkersburg on a Sunday for one of my squares and just hope the darn thing is still there.
Sidekick LWB said to sidekick engineer, 'I've hung out with people i've met on the internet before but i've never run into any of them in the middle of the woods.' (Upper Yough Trek)

Buffaloes and tigers are one thing, but mustelids are not to be trifled with.
Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby Aquacache on Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:46 pm

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl wrote:thanks to MAGPI for helping out Saturday and to 89SC today, Aquacache & I knocked off two more Fizzy squares which puts us both with only 7 left.

I'm going to have to drive to parkersburg on a Sunday for one of my squares and just hope the darn thing is still there.

Yes, thank you all. My matrix on the first page of this post has been updated.

• I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make when they go flying by.
Aquacache

Postby wvangler on Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:42 pm

I've knocked out two more recently. The Dash Cache and Wintz50's Gnome's Rock (found it today) gave me two more. What's that speck up ahead? Is that a light at the end of that tunnel? 13 more for me though, but I've got a plan :smile:

D T Possible Caches
1 4.5 Tippa-De-Enda (GCHVMX - Virginia near Franklin, WV)
1 5 R U N Sane (GC1J11B Big Stone Gap, VA), Rotten to the Core* (GC1QB8M Maryland - Ranson, WV)
2 4.5 Thunder on the Mountain (Dolly Sods), Big Mountain Lookout Tower (Sutton)
2 5 13 Mile Creek (Ripley)
2.5 4.5 Tater Cache (Holly River SP)
2.5 5 Big Island Cache* (Summersville)
3 4.5 Benchmark Travelbug Hotel (Bluefield), Upper Yough Trek (GCH643 - Maryland)
3.5 5 Eagle Island* (Louisa, KY)
4.5 3 Why Not Here (GC1Q6TA Chester)
4.5 3.5 Needle in a Haystack V (GC1A005 Cumberland, MD)
4.5 4 Helping Friendly Box (GC1D4YZ Virginia)
4.5 4.5 Castle Rocks (Canaan)
5 3.5 The Lottery (GC1QWJZ - Uniontown, PA)
wvangler

Postby Aquacache on Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:15 pm

We just did "Why Not Here" and "Needle in a Haystack V" this weekend. Those are fun. :shock: . I've been looking at "Tippa-De-Enda" for my 1/4.5 also.

Aquacache

Postby wvangler on Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:50 pm

MAGPI road trip? :cool:

Gonna try Rotten to the Core at the end of February I think. Wintertime belly boating in the river. :eek:
wvangler

Postby wvangler on Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:39 am

Well, I busted out and did Needle in a Haystack V last week. Believe it or not it was the luck of the gods that got it for me. I waded through the snow, stuck my foot into a likely area to brush the snow aside and lo and behold there it was. Pure, unadulterated luck.

I'm scheduled to speak in Wheeling on the 16th in the morning. So on the 15th I plan to roll through Uniontown area to pick up "The Lottery" and hopefully go on up to Chester afterward to get Why Not Here. If anyone wants to come along, which I doubt since I think about all of you have done those already. It is looking to be consistently above freezing for a while so I'm ready to bust on this thing. Still am going to wait for a bit warmer weather before I start boating. I opted not to boat down a swollen Potomac for Rotten to the Core last week. However, there are two 1/5 caches on Heaters Island as well as some other 5 star terrains. So perhaps someone here with access to a Jonathan boat would be apt to organizing a group effort hmmm?
wvangler

Postby scoutingwv on Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:37 pm

Plan on spending some time in Chester ...
scoutingwv

Postby WVKiwi on Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:25 pm

wvangler wrote:However, there are two 1/5 caches on Heaters Island as well as some other 5 star terrains. So perhaps someone here with access to a Jonathan boat would be apt to organizing a group effort hmmm?

The caches on Heater's Island have been on my top caches to get list for quite a long time, so I'd love to hear of someone with access to a boat and a plan to go! I do know from previous finders, winter or early spring is the best time to attack the caches. Late spring/summer the island is fully covered with waist high, or many cases much higher, stinging neetles. :shock:

So, hmmm....I'll echo your wondering....wonder if there is anyone with access to Jon boat lurking around magpi? :chin:
WVKiwi

Postby wvangler on Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:08 pm

Hey Kiwi, I was planning to do it with my one man pontoon boat, but if we can find someone with a jon boat, canoe, Tom Sawyer raft, etc lets go. I may be able to borrow a second solo pontoon with oars if interested. I figure I'll be back to the panhandle to attack this sometime around April/May. Avoiding nettles would be wonderful...but a swollen river will also make for a pia of a row back upstream. Having someone with common sense along is always advisable when I'm doing something like navigating a strange river.
wvangler

Postby 89SC on Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:18 pm

After a mega caching road trip Saturday of 3 States, 450 miles, 21 caches and 2 new Fizzy squares, my chart looks like this:

Two more to go :grin:
89SC

PreviousNext

Return to Challenge Arena