WV Fizzy Challenge

Here we can cover all things geo-challenge related.

Re: WV Fizzy Challenge

Postby Lledier on Mon May 10, 2010 4:59 pm

wvangler wrote:
Lledier wrote:Image

Oh man, that makes me want to cry thinking about having to plug all those in again! Good luck!

Yeah, and my wife won't go with me for the harder ones...lol.
No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Lledier

Postby wvangler on Thu May 20, 2010 3:04 pm

Oh yeah, busted a move yesterday. Drove 400 miles to get to final destination in Point of Rocks, MD and spent a pile of money on a canoe rental. Then floated to Heater's Island for a 2.5/5 (Heater's Island WMA - Tree Over - GC1JM47) and a 1/5 (Rotten to the Core - GC1QB8M). The stinging nettle was un-friggin-real, but it was worth it. That leaves me 7 more!!!
Indecision is the key to flexibility.
wvangler

Postby wvangler on Thu May 27, 2010 6:36 am

Under the Sycamore DONE!

I need 5 more plus a CITO.

1/4.5 - Tippa De Enda (middle of nowhere)
2/4.5 - Thunder on the Mountain (Dolly Sods) or Big Mountain Lookout Tower (Sutton)
2.5/4.5 - Tater Cache (Holly River SP)
4.5/4.5 - Castle Rocks (Canaan area)
5/3.5 - The Lottery (Uniontown)
CITO - Already obtained permission from City of Spencer to host one and offer of support from DEP REAP, so it is just a matter of scheduling now
wvangler

Postby 89SC on Thu May 27, 2010 7:15 am

That's quite a list.

Tippa De Enda is an easy find once you get on site. Follow the directions and don't bushwack from the wrong direction like I did.

I don't think Thunder has been hit this year. Also an easy find once you get there. I haven't done Big Mountain though it's been on my list for awhile.

I love Tater but haven't done the new one.

Castle was my nemesis. It took me 3 tries to find that one. There are easier ways in than the way on the page.

I haven't done the lottery. Someone was nice enough to provide the County Challenge :grin:
Growing Old is compulsory, Growing up is Optional!
89SC

Postby wvangler on Thu May 27, 2010 7:30 am

I'll have "the Pilot" along for Castle Rocks and Thunder on the Mountain I'm sure. Big Mountain is a ton closer to me, but honestly ever since Sojourn in the Sods got rained out last year completing all the Roaring Plains caches has been all I can think about. I'm thinking of doing Tater Cache as my next milestone, which should come in the next couple of weeks. I hope to get The Lottery soon, I've already read the story and done the work (whacked out story). As a matter of fact, PilotJ and Crew went with me back a couple of months ago to do it when they went for the Alphanumeric Challenge the first time. We got to the top of the mountain and was greeted with a 3' high wall of snow so we had to abort.

I'm sure that Tippa-De-Enda will be the hardest of those for me to get time to go do. I can drive to South Carolina quicker than I can get to Franklin.
wvangler

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Thu May 27, 2010 7:35 am

wvangler wrote:I'll have "the Pilot" along for Castle Rocks and Thunder on the Mountain I'm sure. Big Mountain is a ton closer to me, but honestly ever since Sojourn in the Sods got rained out last year completing all the Roaring Plains caches has been all I can think about. I'm thinking of doing Tater Cache as my next milestone, which should come in the next couple of weeks. I hope to get The Lottery soon, I've already read the story and done the work (whacked out story). As a matter of fact, PilotJ and Crew went with me back a couple of months ago to do it when they went for the Alphanumeric Challenge the first time. We got to the top of the mountain and was greeted with a 3' high wall of snow so we had to abort.

I'm sure that Tippa-De-Enda will be the hardest of those for me to get time to go do. I can drive to South Carolina quicker than I can get to Franklin.

1. DO NOT go after Tater if it has been raining. We came down from it in the rain and it was not good. NOT GOOD.

2. make sure you have the story with you for The Lottery.
Sidekick LWB said to sidekick engineer, 'I've hung out with people i've met on the internet before but i've never run into any of them in the middle of the woods.' (Upper Yough Trek)

Buffaloes and tigers are one thing, but mustelids are not to be trifled with.
Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby wvangler on Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:41 am

Castle Rocks - DONE! Man am I ever glad for having the Pilot along on that one. I'd still be there. He made me work for it, but he also didn't let me suffer the agony of climbing into all the holes from top to bottom that 89SC, PilotJ, etc. have had to. Just some subtle "don't go down any further" hints that proved to have saved me hours of searching. So maybe I didn't COMPLETELY earn the 4.5, but I'm not complaining, oh no.

Four more to do. I can smell it.
wvangler

Postby 89SC on Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:00 pm

The picture PilotJ posted in his log led me to it. I knew that spot as soon as I saw the picture. Once I found it, I couldn't figure how I missed it the other times I was there. That cache was my nemesis. After the second time, I said I'd never go back. Every time I drove through Davis it would call to me. I finally went back and found it on the third try.
89SC

Postby Pilot J on Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:28 pm

That picture is now HISTORY! He he he. It was to show the muddy winter effort, not to give the hide away!
Pilot J

Postby 89SC on Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:36 pm

It didn't show me where the cache was, it just let me know I was in the right area. I recognized the spot from my previous two trips there. My gpsr was pointing everywhere up there. I must have searched that whole rock pile.
89SC

Postby Groggamer on Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:19 am

OK, this Fizzy thing has me interested. Is there a way to find out what your previous caches rating were without going back through them one by one?

In other words.......is there a quick way to catch up on this :grin:

Thanks
“All is for naught, if an Angel pisses on your firelock” - Frederick the Great
Groggamer

Postby Pilot J on Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:11 am

89SC Glad to give you some help. After two tries you deserved it! But really don't want to post a give away. From Pilot's clothes you can tell we were ALL OVER that place too - in the snow! But at least we got it on the first try.

BYW the bridge is closed now due to winter snow damage so you have to hike in from the other direction (or swim). Still a nice little walk on a nice path.
Pilot J

Postby Pilot J on Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:21 am

http://www.mygeocachingprofile.com is a good one. Near the bottom, you can enter the specific rules for the WV Fizzy challenge and it will show you how far along you are. But you have to be a groundspeak premium member to generate a pocket query of your "finds" data to export/import. Course, once you start generating all these niffy charts and tables - well, there you go, it will never end!
Pilot J

Postby thebuddhaman on Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:29 pm

i use " it's not about the numbers" you still need to make a pocket query
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

We didn't inherit this world for our parents.... We borrow it from our children
thebuddhaman

Postby Pilot J on Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:56 am

I like itsnotaboutthenumbers also, but it won't customized the Fizzy Challenge like mygeocachingprofile will. It will eliminate all the caches that aren't eligible, when you fill in the specific rules for the one you are working on. On itsnotaboutthenumbers we only need 3 more fizzy's but we are really 8 short due to the specific rules for the WV Challenge. Both are free.
Pilot J

PreviousNext

Return to Challenge Arena