WV state park challenge GC26ZJG

Here we can cover all things geo-challenge related.

Re: WV state park challenge GC26ZJG

Postby Wintz on Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:08 pm

challenge completed.

Try going from Tomlinson Run to Berkeley Springs over to Lost River and then up to Blackwater falls in a day... I slept good last night. 17 state parks and the final since Friday, not too bad.

Seriously though, This is a pretty cool challenge cache because you cant just drive around picking up park and grab micros everywhere to complete it. You have to actually get out there in the parks and find nice caches. Great Idea!
--wintz50
Wintz

Postby wvangler on Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:56 am

I've now completed the parks...now to find time to get the final before "someone" hides one at a park that doesn't have a cache.
Indecision is the key to flexibility.
wvangler

Postby 89SC on Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:17 am

There are now caches at Stonewall Resort State Park, GC2AD9V and GC2AD9J.
Growing Old is compulsory, Growing up is Optional!
89SC

Postby pbump on Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:32 am

89SC wrote:There are now caches at Stonewall Resort State Park, GC2AD9V and GC2AD9J.

Get a boat!
“It's faster horses, younger women, older whiskey and more money.” Tom T. Hall
"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow." Nanook's Mamma

"Corripe Cervisiam"

pbump

Postby 89SC on Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:21 pm

MIcros in the woods with no hints. Oh how I love those :mad:
89SC

Postby Pilot J on Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:32 pm

It sort of appears that only 1 is in Stonewall Jackson State Park, the other looks to be in the WMA.
Pilot J

Postby 89SC on Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:02 pm

They are both in the Park and have official State Park stickers on them. I got FTF on both today :grin: I got the boat only cache with my mountain bike. It's around a 4 mile trip. The cache is less than 500' from an access road. Everything to the left of the road is State Park and the WMA is on the right side.

89SC

Postby 89SC on Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:16 pm

GC2AD9V, RB&B's Last Resort: If you don't have a boat, you can get to it by a hunter's access road off of Overlook Road. It's 3.7 miles round trip from the parking area and the cache is less than 500' from the road. The road is gravel and in decent shape. It's a bit washed out on some of the hills. I had trouble getting traction with my bike because the loose gravel and sand and had to push the bike up some of the hills. I did better coming back.

GC2AD9J, RB&B At The End of Our Rope!: There is a trailhead in the cottage section to a nice trail that goes right to this one. I walked it but bikes use it. It's a 1.6 mile round trip. I thought I'd get charged to get into the Park but I told the guy at the gate that I was just coming in to look for the geocache. He looked kind of puzzled and said that he knew what geocaches were but didn't know there were any in the Park. He waved me on it. Cool!
89SC

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:29 pm

One more down. Tomlinson Run State Park.

18 of 35 and now know of another nice park in WV.
Sidekick LWB said to sidekick engineer, 'I've hung out with people i've met on the internet before but i've never run into any of them in the middle of the woods.' (Upper Yough Trek)

Buffaloes and tigers are one thing, but mustelids are not to be trifled with.
Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby Pilot J on Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:31 am

I thought I just saw in the newspaper that none of WV State parks charge an entrance fee. Was it to get into the camping area?
Pilot J

Postby 89SC on Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:55 am

No, Stonewall Jackson normally charges to get in. They have one day pass cards that hang from your mirror. I think it's mainly if you use the lake, swimming, boating, fishing, etc. If you are going to an event at the lodge you don't get charged. I passed some people on the trail on my way back to the car that were going to the point to swim. They had a day pass hanging in their car that was parked behind mine. If you tell them you are geocaching maybe they'll let you in for free. They did for me :grin:
89SC

Postby wvangler on Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:27 pm

Well, all this timing kind of bites. I get the Parks Challenge requirements finished and then this gets published. Then I race with PilotJ and Crew to finish all the WV Earthcaches and the day after I finish them all a new one gets published on Ice Mountain. When I officially finish the parks and fizzy I think I may just retire. Geez. Something I'm worried about now, is the new "feedback" thing on Geocaching.com. I saw where a lot of folks are lobbying for a rating system by finders. If that happens before you finish the Fizzy, you can bet that user ratings will highly influence a lot of cache owners to go back and retroactively change their ratings...which means that a lot of your work will go down the toilet if someone changes their rating.
wvangler

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:58 pm

Visited Pipestem and Bluestone today.

I remember going to Pipestem with Dad many, many years ago.
We were on our way north when the torrential downpour hit
Sidekick LWB said to sidekick engineer, 'I've hung out with people i've met on the internet before but i've never run into any of them in the middle of the woods.' (Upper Yough Trek)

Buffaloes and tigers are one thing, but mustelids are not to be trifled with.
Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby scoutingwv on Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:06 pm

wvangler wrote:<snip>which means that a lot of your work will go down the toilet if someone changes their rating.

Only the work against the challenge. The work to see some new and interesting places and find the caches was probably still worth doing.
scoutingwv

Postby wvangler on Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:40 am

Done. Glad to have this one in the rear view mirror.
wvangler

PreviousNext

Return to Challenge Arena