WV state park challenge GC26ZJG

Here we can cover all things geo-challenge related.

Re: WV state park challenge GC26ZJG

Postby pbump on Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:18 pm

wvangler wrote:Done. Glad to have this one in the rear view mirror.

Hey man- did you see the cool new cache at
Spoiler! :
insertnamehere
State Park?
“It's faster horses, younger women, older whiskey and more money.” Tom T. Hall
"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow." Nanook's Mamma

"Corripe Cervisiam"

pbump

Postby wvangler on Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:52 am

pbump wrote:
wvangler wrote:Done. Glad to have this one in the rear view mirror.

Hey man- did you see the cool new cache at
Spoiler! :
insertnamehere
State Park?

I'll show you what nice is all about. Hmm, I'm thinking 'The Log Every Cache in WV Challenge" at Droop Mountain SP. :fecal matter:
Indecision is the key to flexibility.
wvangler

Postby LuckyAquar on Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:08 pm

It looks like someone has placed caches in both Cass and Droop Mountain Battlefield. I am hoping that we can finish this challenge before someone puts one on Blennerhassett Island.
LuckyAquar

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:15 pm

LuckyAquar wrote:It looks like someone has placed caches in both Cass and Droop Mountain Battlefield. I am hoping that we can finish this challenge before someone puts one on Blennerhassett Island.

better hurry...I hear one is a comin'
Sidekick LWB said to sidekick engineer, 'I've hung out with people i've met on the internet before but i've never run into any of them in the middle of the woods.' (Upper Yough Trek)

Buffaloes and tigers are one thing, but mustelids are not to be trifled with.
Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby LuckyAquar on Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:35 pm

Crap, I forgot about that. Guess I'm making a trip back to Blennerhassett. :???:
LuckyAquar

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:30 am

knocked off one more park yesterday - Cacapon. Which still leaves me with....15 to go I think. Well let me ammend that to say 15 last time I took a gander to see which parks I have visited that did not have a cache and required only a photo.
Sidekick LWB said to sidekick engineer, 'I've hung out with people i've met on the internet before but i've never run into any of them in the middle of the woods.' (Upper Yough Trek)

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:53 am

So I had a lovely hike at Stonewall Jackson (GC2AD9J) and one at Audra (GC252C4) as well a few weekends ago. The caches were ones I probably would not have gotten around to for quite some time, if not for this challenge. So for a change I want to thank wvhunter.

Which puts me with 13 state parks remaining. I looked on April 13 and Bluestone did not have a cache in it (& I already have the required photo for it), nor did Droop Mountain.

We have a few trips coming up that will put me within striking distance of quite a few of the remaining parks so I'm having unrealistic expectations that I may finish this challenge before 2011 ends.

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:53 am

So I knocked off a few more state parks yesterday as sidekick & I made our way home from Lewisburg.

Beartown - what an absolutely cool place

Droop Mountain - and I swear if someone places a cache there I will personally hunt them down and do seriously bodily harm (and don't take that as a challenge 'hunter)

Watoga - that was a fun hike up to Ranger's Cache (even laden as I was with delicious chocolate ice cream in my belly)

That leaves me with: (provided that no one places caches where there were not caches and I have to spend my time hunting down and hurting people instead of caching)
Babcock - get that when I get the DeLorme final later this month
Camp Creek
Carnifax Ferry Battlefield
Lost River
Moncove Late
Pinnacle Rock
Twin Falls

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby wvangler on Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:20 am

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl wrote:
Droop Mountain - and I swear if someone places a cache there I will personally hunt them down and do seriously bodily harm (and don't take that as a challenge 'hunter)

Just submitted for publishing...The WV 5/5 Challenge.

Just kidding.

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl wrote:...when I get the DeLorme final later this month

...Lost River

You've got some work cut out before the final...and no offense to LuckyAquar, but trips to Lost River are akin to loading up the wagons for the Oregon Trail. Cranny Crow is well worth the effort, but good lands there is no easy way to get to that park for those of us on the west side.
wvangler

Postby LuckyAquar on Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:28 pm

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl wrote:...when I get the DeLorme final later this month

...Lost River

You've got some work cut out before the final...and no offense to LuckyAquar, but trips to Lost River are akin to loading up the wagons for the Oregon Trail. Cranny Crow is well worth the effort, but good lands there is no easy way to get to that park for those of us on the west side.[/quote]

That's how I feel about some of the state parks like Beech Fork and Chief Logan. :grin: Cranny Crow is very cool. I try to go there atleast once a year, then hike on further to the fire tower.
LuckyAquar

Postby 89SC on Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:13 pm

Moncove Lake is quite a trip too. If you take your Jeep, there is a dirt road over the mountain right from I-64 to the lake. I blindly followed my topos on my gps and went over it in the MR2 :shock: Otherwise, you have to go through Ronceverte, farther south, east a ways and then back north to get to it. You really should have gotten it last weekend. I was kicking myself for not getting it when I was in Ronceverte.
Growing Old is compulsory, Growing up is Optional!
89SC

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:53 pm

89SC wrote: You really should have gotten it last weekend. I was kicking myself for not getting it when I was in Ronceverte.

I had this little thing called a wedding to attend.

But thanks for the heads up. It will be Jeep all the way (I'm working overtime to pay for the gas - just kidding, I don't get overtime)

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby 89SC on Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:15 pm

Looking at MapSource, I don't know if it was really a shortcut or not. Of course the "road" doesn't really appear on there until you zoom way in. It showed up nice on my gps with the topo program. I just couldn't face another trip through Ronceverte and Lewisburg. When you leave the lake and head north, it's a nice two lane with a center line and everything, then it's smaller without a line, and then gravel, and then dirt. It was quite a trip. I was just hoping that I didn't run out of road and have to go all the way back.

There is only one cache at Moncove Lake and it's in a swamp. There's a bizillion mosquitoes so be prepared. The directions also tell you take the trail on the left side of the creek. If you want to find a way across the swamp do that. I had to cross a fallen tree. Of course I didn't have my waterproof shoes on. After I found the cache, I found a nice trail going to the campground. I took it back to the road and back across the bridge to my car.
Growing Old is compulsory, Growing up is Optional!
89SC

Postby wvangler on Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:36 am

That Moncove cache is only about a 0.25 mi hike from the proper trailhead in the campground. Piece of cake. After grabbing that one I drove up to Sherwood and got Helping Phriendly Box for the Fizzy. Now that was a little more significant hike.
wvangler

Postby Wintz on Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:22 am

lost river...eh piece of cake. :grin:

I did Tomlinson Run, Berkeley Springs, Cacapon, Lost River, Canaan, and Blackwater falls in the same day. :lol:

Theres some miles for ya
--wintz50
Wintz

PreviousNext

Return to Challenge Arena