ExploreWV Geocoin Challenge

Here we can cover all things geo-challenge related.

ExploreWV Geocoin Challenge

Postby WVKiwi on Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:19 pm

Just noticed this post on the main Groundspeak forums, and thought I'd repost it. I must say it sounds exciting!

Hello Cachers!

ExploreWV is a new collaboration between West Virginia’s Department of Education and the Arts and the West Virginia Department of Tourism. Together, ExploreWV will organize various Geocaching challenges throughout the state, offering a unique and adventurous way to see our beautiful Mountain State.

Our first official activity is the ExploreWV Geocoin Challenge, set to launch in late September. The challenge will take cachers all over the state to find caches relating to West Virginia history, our museums, and some of our tourism hotspots before finally landing on Capitol grounds with a grand multi-cache at the new West Virginia State Museum in Charleston. The first 250 people to complete the challenge will receive a high-quality ExploreWV Geocoin.

To get the ExploreWV Geocoin Challenge started, we need your help. We are asking seasoned hiders in West Virginia and surrounding states to assist with cache placement. We will be having a conference call next week and all those interested in cache placement are encouraged to call. At the conference, details will be given and any questions or concerns will be answered.

If you are interested in volunteering to place a cache, please email Robin Taylor (WV Department of Education and the Arts) at mailto:Robin.J.Taylor@wv.gov by MONDAY, JULY 26th. Emailing Robin is the ONLY way you will be able to receive the date and time for the conference call, so SERIOUS INQUIRIES ONLY!
WVKiwi

Re: ExploreWV Geocoin Challenge

Postby wvhunter74 on Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:40 pm

wow I wonder how many challenges I can work on at one time lol
wvhunter74

Postby wvhunter on Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:49 pm

But if I place a cache to be used in the challenge, can I still participate in the challenge also?
hmmm....Must look into this further.
Anatomy (n): something everyone has, but which looks better on a girl.

Life would be so much easier if we could just look at the source code.
wvhunter

Postby thebuddhaman on Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:28 am

hmmm... late sept. i'll be home, i think i see a road trip in my future
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

We didn't inherit this world for our parents.... We borrow it from our children
thebuddhaman

Postby wvangler on Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:26 am

Good lookin' out Kiwi. I didn't know TheWatt's had made this public yet. So I guess I can now pull the duct tape off of my mouth. Hats off to TheWatt's for organizing this and for talking some pretty important state administrators into funding/administering this project. I don't know what details I'm permitted to leak so I'll just leave it at what was re"tweeted" by Kiwi. I think this will be a pretty cool deal and not quite as exhausting as the County or DeLorme. I figure we can go ahead and hand the FTF(s) over to PilotJ now though.
Indecision is the key to flexibility.
wvangler

Postby wvhunter74 on Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:30 am

wvangler wrote:Good lookin' out Kiwi. I didn't know TheWatt's had made this public yet. So I guess I can now pull the duct tape off of my mouth. Hats off to TheWatt's for organizing this and for talking some pretty important state administrators into funding/administering this project. I don't know what details I'm permitted to leak so I'll just leave it at what was re"tweeted" by Kiwi. I think this will be a pretty cool deal and not quite as exhausting as the County or DeLorme. I figure we can go ahead and hand the FTF(s) over to PilotJ now though.

Leave it to you to know the geo secret lol
wvhunter74

Postby Wintz on Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:42 am

I wouldnt be handing out FTF prizes just yet.... :lol:

sounds like a great idea and after this trip around the state I may just have all of my counties completed.
--wintz50
Wintz

Postby the watts on Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:44 am

Hi folks. For a couple of months now we have been working with several state agencies to create this project, and of last Monday we were given the official go ahead. I must tell you all that the enthusiasm from these agencies is crazy. So stay tuned for more information. Department of Tourism is in the middle of creating a webpage, twitter, etc., and if you all have any questions feel free to contact us here or on thru the announcement information. A special thanks goes out to those of you who have already volunteered, we appreciate all of your help!
the watts

Postby the watts on Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:51 am

wvhunter wrote:But if I place a cache to be used in the challenge, can I still participate in the challenge also?

Yes sir! All caches will be hidden under the usersame ExploreWV. There will be approx. 30 caches hidden throughout the state and you only have to find a certain number of them to complete the requirements for the coin.
the watts

Postby wvhunter74 on Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:51 pm

the watts wrote:
wvhunter wrote:But if I place a cache to be used in the challenge, can I still participate in the challenge also?

Yes sir! All caches will be hidden under the usersame ExploreWV. There will be approx. 30 caches hidden throughout the state and you only have to find a certain number of them to complete the requirements for the coin.

that sounds cool
wvhunter74

Postby wvhunter on Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:11 pm

the watts wrote:

Well then, I'm in!!! Sign me up!
Anatomy (n): something everyone has, but which looks better on a girl.

Life would be so much easier if we could just look at the source code.
wvhunter

Postby wvhunter74 on Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:12 pm

wvhunter wrote:
the watts wrote:

Well then, I'm in!!! Sign me up!

times 2
wvhunter74

Postby WVKiwi on Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:18 am

Quick question: for those who have volunteered to help with hides, have you heard anything definite back as to whether your help is needed for a specific area? I missed the conference call (I was away traveling), and have gotten two emails with general information about the trail, but am curious where things stand beyond that. I responded to the first email with where I could help out with, but haven't heard anymore since. Is everyone else still waiting for more information also, or have I perhaps missed something somewhere?
WVKiwi

Postby wvangler on Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:35 pm

I talked to TheWatts about it this morning. He said that they had designated who was hiding which caches, but they have not really let that out yet. I think they've been pretty busy putting the caches together. According to him, the ammo cans were being painted today and the conference room in their unit was filled with SWAG. He and Mrs. Watts were heading off on vacation today, but the interns had a long laundry list of things to do this week on this thing including getting the containers shipped out to "us" to be hidden. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they will arrive by the end of this week or sometime next week.

I lit a fire under him to get the kickoff event page published this week. I believe they are still planning on having the official kickoff event at the Capitol Complex in Charleston on September 18. So scribe your calendars for another MAGPI pilgrimage to Charleston on that day...I think this might be the best event held in WV yet. I pushed for Signal the Frog to come and it looks like that may be a strong possibility. The state is sinking a pile of cash into this so we need to show them all the support we can.
Indecision is the key to flexibility.
wvangler

Postby LisaandDarin on Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:19 pm

Hello, were from the Eastern Panhandle and located this site recently.

We found out late about the Challenge and missed getting our Names in to be a hider, If anyone needs a hand on this end of the state with hides Please let us know
LisaandDarin

Next

Return to Challenge Arena