Official ExploreWV Geocoin Challenge thread

Here we can cover all things geo-challenge related.

Official ExploreWV Geocoin Challenge thread

Postby wvangler on Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:26 pm

Post away!

I have yet to truly begin knocking this thing out compared to most of you. Only have 3 so far.

I did notice something interesting on the official site. Check out the logsheet photograph...

Go bump.

http://www.wvcommerce.org/travel/thingstodo/outdoorrecreation/geocaching/default.aspx
Indecision is the key to flexibility.
wvangler

Re: Official ExploreWV Geocoin Challenge thread

Postby wvhunter on Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:54 pm

I have found six so far.
Anatomy (n): something everyone has, but which looks better on a girl.

Life would be so much easier if we could just look at the source code.
wvhunter

Postby WVKiwi on Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:16 pm

For me, none yet. Work unfortunately got in the way of caching this weekend. :(

I did wonder today though: is there anyone in the know who might be able to make periodic updates on how many coins have been awarded? I know it's all just started, so there plenty now, but I'm curious for the future. I know the Maryland Geocaching Society makes updates every month or so on the status of their state challenges, so cachers can plan accordingly, and so I just wondered if anyone was around who might ultimately be able to do something similar around here?
WVKiwi

Postby 89SC on Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:07 pm

I've got 11. I ran into 2 sets of out of State people who are staying the week to finish the series. There was also the New Jersey couple we met in Charleston. I'll get the 16 for the coin but I'm not planning on finishing it any time soon.
Growing Old is compulsory, Growing up is Optional!
89SC

Postby wvhunter on Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:50 pm

Here's a .pdf with all the general cache locations.
Attachments
ExploreWV Geocoin Challenge Locations.pdf
(441.55 KB) Downloaded 423 times
Anatomy (n): something everyone has, but which looks better on a girl.

Life would be so much easier if we could just look at the source code.
wvhunter

Postby wvangler on Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:21 am

WVKiwi wrote:I did wonder today though: is there anyone in the know who might be able to make periodic updates on how many coins have been awarded? I know it's all just started, so there plenty now, but I'm curious for the future. I know the Maryland Geocaching Society makes updates every month or so on the status of their state challenges, so cachers can plan accordingly, and so I just wondered if anyone was around who might ultimately be able to do something similar around here?

Since the Watts are pretty much in control of this deal perhaps they could give updates. If you are twitter, follow "Thewattsfamily". They tweeted yesterday that the first coin has been awarded already and is on its way to Ohia.
wvangler

Postby wvhunter74 on Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:27 am

Only 3 for me so far
wvhunter74

Postby wvangler on Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:46 pm

I picked up 3 more in Huntington today. I now have 7 total. From the looks of the log books some folks are busting a move on these things. I feel like I'm really behind! I was hoping to clear out southern WV tomorrow, but looks like I'll be at home with a sick kid. I will be at a conference at Stonewall Resort all of next week so I hope to bust out all of the 5 central/north-central WV ExploreWV caches next week in the evenings (if anyone wants to cache with me give me a shout).

My brother-in-law just moved to Virginia just south of the panhandle so I feel a visit to his new crib coming along very soon. I want to see the Harpers Ferry cache the most out of all of them.
wvangler

Postby Aquacache on Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:04 pm

Let me try to count them so far ... uh, it's somewhere around zero. Tomorrow I plan to pick up zero more, which will bring the total up to zero.

Looks like I need to find a new job.

• I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

• I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make when they go flying by.
Aquacache

Postby thebuddhaman on Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:00 am

Aquacache wrote:Let me try to count them so far ... uh, it's somewhere around zero. Tomorrow I plan to pick up zero more, which will bring the total up to zero.

I'm just ahead of you I have 1
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

We didn't inherit this world for our parents.... We borrow it from our children
thebuddhaman

Postby Lledier on Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:39 pm

Aquacache wrote:Let me try to count them so far ... uh, it's somewhere around zero. Tomorrow I plan to pick up zero more, which will bring the total up to zero.

Hey! We're tied!!!
No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Lledier

Postby SnowXRacer on Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:04 am

Greenie333 and I made a run yesterday to grab some of these. We hit New River Bridge, Hills Creek, Cass, Seneca Rocks, Rich Mountain, Railroad Museum, Wind Farm, Philippi Bridge, and Anna Jarvis. We have 15 now, and need a Museum and a Historical Marker to get the coin. I think we are going to run to Wheeling next Saturday to get those two done. It took us about 13 hours and 500 miles, and was an interesting trip. I will try uploading some pictures later.
SnowXRacer

Postby 89SC on Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:31 am

I did around 600 miles yesterday from Parkersburg to Milton to Huntington to Matewon to Logan and back home. What a trip! I'm up to 18. It would take 3 more trips to finish this thing. Northern Panhandle, Eastern Panhandle, and the rest. I don't know, yesterday is the first time in a long time that I've had to fill up with gas twice in the same day.
89SC

Postby SnowXRacer on Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:37 am

89SC wrote:I did around 600 miles yesterday from Parkersburg to Milton to Huntington to Matewon to Logan and back home. What a trip! I'm up to 18. It would take 3 more trips to finish this thing. Northern Panhandle, Eastern Panhandle, and the rest. I don't know, yesterday is the first time in a long time that I've had to fill up with gas twice in the same day.

I hear ya about the gas. We hit up gas a few times in the truck over our 500 miles. When we did Rich Mountain today and I was bouncing the whole way up and down that road, we both were saying, "I can't believe he brought the MR2 up here". I mean it wasn't horrible, but there is no way my car would ever go up there! It was a good cache though!
SnowXRacer

Postby 89SC on Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:44 am

It was a slow trip in the MR2. The worst part was all the local yahoos racing up and down in ATVs and Jeeps. I should have waited another week before I cleaned the K&N air filter.
89SC

Next

Return to Challenge Arena