ExploreWV Haunted Series

Here we can cover all things geo-challenge related.

ExploreWV Haunted Series

Postby the watts on Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:34 am

As most of you know, we will be launching our third geocaching series, Haunted WV, on September 23, 2011 at the former West Virginia State Penitentiary in Moundsville. This series will be comprised of 20 geocaches scattered across West Virginia in some of the Mountain State’s most notorious spooky locations.

To help with cache placement for Haunted WV, we are asking for seasoned geocachers to volunteer to place and maintain the geocaches. ExploreWV will assemble the geocaches, mail them directly to you, and provide you with maintenance materials when needed. As a volunteer, all we ask of you is to hide the geocache in a proper location and be sure to do regular check-ups as you would on your personal geocaches. NOTE: Even if you volunteer, you may still participate in this series.

Below is a list of towns and (counties) where we are placing geocaches for Haunted WV. To keep the suspense going, we will not yet be disclosing the specific sites to anyone except the volunteers.

Arvilla (Pleasants)
Bethany (Brooke)
Cacapon Bridge (Hampshire)
Dunbar (Kanawha)
Elkins (Randolph)
Flatwoods (Braxton)
Glen Ferris (Fayette)
Hillsboro (Pocahontas)
Holden (Logan)
Kegley (Mercer)
Milton (Cabell)
Moorefield (Hardy)
Moundsville (Marshall)
Paden City (Wetzel/Tyler)
Point Pleasant (Mason)
Procious (Clay)
Salem (Harrison)
Scarbro (Fayette)
Sam Black Church (Greenbrier)
Weston (Lewis)

IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN VOLUNTEERING FOR ANY OF THE ABOVE SITES, PLEASE SEND AN EMAIL BY FRIDAY, AUGUST 26TH TO EITHER SARA (mailto:sara.n.price@wv.gov) or ROBIN (mailto:robin.j.taylor@wv.gov) AND LET US KNOW WHICH LOCATION YOU'RE INTERESTED IN. Once we have a list of volunteers, we will schedule a conference call to discuss the placement plan with everyone.

Happy caching, everyone!
the watts

Re: ExploreWV Haunted Series

Postby wvhunter on Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:05 pm

Taken from the Facebook event page:
----------------------------------------------------------

ExploreWV will be kicking off our third geocaching series, Haunted WV, at the former West Virginia Penitentiary in Moundsville the evening of September 23, 2011. Join us for a night filled with fun and fright as we celebrate the darker side of West Virginia!

DATE: Friday, September 23, 2011

WHERE: West Virginia Penitentiary (Moundsville, WV)

TIME: 6:00pm - 8:00pm
*Flashlight tours of the prison will be available until 10:00pm.

TENTATIVE SCHEDULE OF EVENTS (subject to change):
6:00pm - 8:00pm Haunted WV Kickoff Event
6:00pm - 7:30pm Dinner
6:45pm - 7:15pm Guest speakers from WV Pen
7:00pm - 10:00pm Flashlight tours of WV Pen available
7:30pm - 7:45pm Kid's Costume Contest
7:45pm - 8:00pm Door prize giveaway
8:00pm Haunted WV coordinates released

In addition to our kickoff event, Moundsville will also be host to numerous activities the weekend of September 23rd – 25th including a Zombie Walk and Masquerade Ball on Saturday, September 24th. More information on all activities and events will be posted in the near future.

-----------------------------

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
1. What will the Haunted WV kickoff event consist of?
The event will follow the style of our former kickoffs, where you may register for the Haunted WV series and receive your Playbook if you decide to do the challenge associated with the series. You will also be treated to free food by a local Moundsville eatery and as always, you will be able to mingle with your fellow geocachers. To keep with the Haunted/Halloween theme, we will also be having a Kid's Costume Contest as well as giving away two themed door prizes. Flashlight tours of the Penitentiary will also be available until 10:00pm.

2. Will there be any kid-friendly activities?
Of course! We will be having a wonderful face painter available to transform your youngins' into whatever character they choose to be. We will also be having a Kid's Costume Contest if your child would like to dress up early for Halloween this year. The winner of the contest will receive a treat basket courtesy of ExploreWV.

**The Kid's Costume Contest will be open to all children ages 1 - 11 years old. There will only be one prize awarded (gender neutral) and judging critera will be based on three areas: 1) Creativity, 2) Theme, and 3) Overall look.**

3. Where is Moundsville located?
Moundsville is located in Marshall County in the Northern Panhandle of West Virginia. The city borders Ohio and is easily accessible via interstates and paved highways. Moundsville is approximately 3 hours from Charleston, 1.5 hours from Pittsburgh (PA), 2.5 hours from Columbus (OH), 5.5 hours from Lexington (KY), and 3 hours from Cumberland (MD).

4. If I need to stay overnight, where can I stay?
There are many hotel options in and near Moundsville. Nearby Wheeling also has an abundance of hotels and inns you can choose from. To find a hotel that fits your style, visit any travel site and enter zipcode 26041 for Moundsville or 26003 for Wheeling.

5. I’ve never been to the West Virginia Penitentiary or Moundsville but they sound interesting. Where can I get more information?
For more information on the West Virginia Penitentiary, you can visit http://www.wvpentours.com. If you’d like information on the town of Moundsville and the rest of Marshall County, you may visit http://www.marshallcountytourism.com or http://www.marshallcountychamber.com.
Anatomy (n): something everyone has, but which looks better on a girl.

Life would be so much easier if we could just look at the source code.
wvhunter

Postby wvhunter on Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:05 pm

So who all is planning on driving up?
Anatomy (n): something everyone has, but which looks better on a girl.

Life would be so much easier if we could just look at the source code.
wvhunter

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:46 am

sidekick and I are going.
Sidekick LWB said to sidekick engineer, 'I've hung out with people i've met on the internet before but i've never run into any of them in the middle of the woods.' (Upper Yough Trek)

Buffaloes and tigers are one thing, but mustelids are not to be trifled with.
Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby Gentleman-Carpenter on Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:48 am

I'm going.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
Gentleman-Carpenter

Postby Rock_Rat on Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:13 pm

I may go. I have yet to make it to one of these. The zombie walk sounds fun too.
Murphy was an optimist! - O'toole's commentary on Murphy's law
The perversity of the Universe tends towards a maximum. - O'Toole's Corollary
I think this O'Toole guys onto something. - Rock_Rat's commentary on O'Toole
Rock_Rat

Postby pbump on Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:41 pm

Plan to.
“It's faster horses, younger women, older whiskey and more money.” Tom T. Hall
"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow." Nanook's Mamma

"Corripe Cervisiam"

pbump

Postby Aquacache on Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:37 pm

At the rate I'm going, I may not be home by then. :sad:

• I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

• I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make when they go flying by.
Aquacache

Return to Challenge Arena