WV DeLorme Challenge (GCT147)

Here we can cover all things geo-challenge related.

Re: WV DeLorme Challenge (GCT147)

Postby pbump on Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:37 pm

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl wrote:after reviewing my finds, I see that in actuality I only have 3 pages left - 50, 56B, 57

and hopefully I'll be able to knock those off with the 2 remaining counties I have for that other challenge.

Oh yeah - counties - one more of those.
“It's faster horses, younger women, older whiskey and more money.” Tom T. Hall
"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow." Nanook's Mamma

"Corripe Cervisiam"

pbump

Postby Pilot J on Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:44 pm

Beech Fork State Park - here you come! Just be sure to stay below the line at the top of the page.
Pilot J

Postby wvhunter74 on Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:43 pm

awww one day I will finish this
wvhunter74

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:29 pm

I am done! I submitted my query to the cache owner & now have the coords for the final. YAY!!!!

My last run was this....

Stay at Knight Who Says Ni's house so I was that much closer to the Southern part of the state. From her house I took 119 South to Cora (or thereabouts) to grab Victory Trunk GC280VF. Predictably there was a deer in the cemetery who did not run off but basically kept moving ahead of me. I kept thinking about how not awesome it would be to have to report in that I got kicked in the ribs by a deer because it would not move and I NEEDED the geocache it was standing on. As it was, finally the little bugger moved on and I found the cache. Got back to the car before i was completely drenched in sweat as it was about 90 degrees and 200% humidity.

From there i went to the fine town of Williamson (have not been there since my Dad worked there as a social worker in the early 1980s) and grabbed a cache on the Hatfield McCoy Trail which was so full of mud holes I could not even fathom how driving through them would be fun. There I grabbed Welcome to West Virginia GCV2VW. My biggest issue there was figuring out where I was going to park since I clearly did not have an ATV to ride from wherever all the ATV riders park their towing vehicles (I assume at some hotel). This also took care of Mingo County for the County Challenge.

After that I headed to Wayne and grabbed Flying Brass GC1EMP4 to knock off not only the DeLorme page and Wayne County but also another state park. Drove on in to Huntington to grab a bite to eat and managed to get stuck in storms on and off all the way home.

All I gotta do now is wait for pbump since we are planning on getting the DeLorme Challenge final together. (HURRY UP!)
Sidekick LWB said to sidekick engineer, 'I've hung out with people i've met on the internet before but i've never run into any of them in the middle of the woods.' (Upper Yough Trek)

Buffaloes and tigers are one thing, but mustelids are not to be trifled with.
Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby pbump on Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:31 pm

Wednesday is targeted to finish - County first, Delorme second.
"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow." Nanook's Mamma

"Corripe Cervisiam"

pbump

Postby wvangler on Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:58 am

congrats. Both challenges haven't been logged in a while...which shows how hard they are to finish. Good job.
Indecision is the key to flexibility.
wvangler

Postby pbump on Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:23 pm

My map says we're DONE. Will be sending in for verification.

Whew!

"Corripe Cervisiam"

pbump

Postby pbump on Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:24 pm

Just shy of a year to get the final.....but final is now got. Thanks to SSPG who dragged my sorry behind up more than one trail today...had a really good day.

"Corripe Cervisiam"

pbump

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:59 pm

pbump wrote:Just shy of a year to get the final.....but final is now got. Thanks to SSPG who dragged my sorry behind up more than one trail today...had a really good day.

Yes indeed. Just as pbump said!

And it could have ended horribly as I managed to get the final wedged in spot while balancing precariously on a tiny ledge and holding onto a sapling growing where saplings should not grow.

Loved it of course!
Sidekick LWB said to sidekick engineer, 'I've hung out with people i've met on the internet before but i've never run into any of them in the middle of the woods.' (Upper Yough Trek)

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby thebuddhaman on Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:42 pm

Congratulations to the two of you
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

We didn't inherit this world for our parents.... We borrow it from our children
thebuddhaman

Postby Aquacache on Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:59 pm

Good job!

Hope you found it more quicklier than I did. I spent around an hour climbing all over those rocks until I realized that it wasn't up on the rocks. :roll:

• I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

• I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make when they go flying by.
Aquacache

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:32 pm

Aquacache wrote:Good job!

Hope you found it more quicklier than I did. I spent around an hour climbing all over those rocks until I realized that it wasn't up on the rocks. :roll:

of COURSE we found it in a much more expedient manner than you did. Mostly because I learn from other cachers' mistakes. :lol:

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby wvangler on Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:27 pm

Don't feel bad. I hiked out there solo as well and spent...let's just say a loooong time...lookin for it.

Was Wintz's pencil still on the cache??? :lol:
wvangler

Postby Pilot J on Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:12 pm

We went with Wintz to the final, actually had to drag him out there to finish it. He took his pencil. What a pencil!!
Pilot J

Postby wvangler on Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:51 am

I thought he said he left it there to be enshrined as a WV Geocaching Hall of Fame item?!
wvangler

Previous

Return to Challenge Arena