MAGPI Relay Cache: Park N Grab

Here we can cover all things geo-challenge related.

MAGPI Relay Cache: Park N Grab

Postby wvangler on Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:18 pm

Welcome to the new MAGPI craze. I planted a cache today in Morgantown, but this one won't be on geocaching.com. Taking a cue from the Greater Charlotte Geocaching Club's messageboard I thought it was high time we had our own relay cache series in WV. Since this board largely consists of northern WV denizens here are the rules for the 'Park N Grab' relay cache.

1.) The finder must add their name, date they hide the cache and a new code word. Then they take the chalk and make their mark (i.e., "X", smiley face, etc.) on the cache location to show other finders that they are TOO LATE SUCKA'S. Then they move the cache to a location of their choosing. You can find this as many times as you want...he or she with the most finds/moves by an unplanned date gets wins the unspecified widget (sort of like Whose Line is it Anyway)
2.) Hiding locations should roughly follow the geocaching.com guidelines...use common sense. The MAGPI Admins and owners assume no responsibility for where you hide it or for your health or sanity in finding it.
3.)For this relay cache "Park N Grab" keep it within 15 miles of I-79 between Clarksburg and Morgantown in order to keep it active. Relaying it to War, WV might make you seem like a hero, but it will kill the fun. Since this relay is a Park N Grab theme, it is sort of limited to being an E.G.G./L.P.C./similar type hide.
4.) Before you can get credit for the find, you have to post the code word left by the previous hider. For this series, make the codeword the name of a famous West Virginian (native or not).

So, just to review - it works like this: Go find the cache, it's a free for all. First one to find it takes the cache and uses the chalk within to mark their mark. Log the sheet, post the code/password on this thread, rehide the cache and post the coordinates. It's a never ending FTF race.

Name/# of Hides
Aquacache 1
WVAngler 1
Last edited by wvangler on Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Indecision is the key to flexibility.
wvangler

Re: MAGPI Relay Cache: Park N Grab

Postby wvangler on Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:19 pm

Let the game begin:

N39* 38.961
W079* 53.356
wvangler

Postby Aquacache on Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:49 pm

FTF - I know ... everybody's real surprised. :cool: This is an interesting concept; like the old moving caches. Do I understand it correctly that you can find/hide it more than once? One thing you might consider revising is the intended area for the hides. 15 miles from Morgantown will rule out Clarksburg and most of Fairmont. How about something like within 15 miles of I-79 between Clarksburg and Morgantown? The "chalk rule" also limits the available hides, but that probably won't be that big of a deal. The nice thing about living in the mountains ... lots of guardrails! :lol:

The idea for my hiding spot was inspired by wvangler's code name in the cache and it will likely be the only time you'll see a hide of this type from me (there, just gave it away :lol: ). That is, unless I find and hide this container again.

wvangler's code name:
Pat White

New coordinates:
N39° 38.857'
W079° 57.365'

• I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

• I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make when they go flying by.
Aquacache

Postby wvangler on Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:35 am

Righteo Aquaman, Pat White is correct. I made edits to the first post in the thread to clarify your questions and also changed the rules to bring in Clarksburg/Bridgeport/Fairmont...which actually favors me a bit. You know, 130 miles is closer than 145 miles. If this one is well recieved we might try a couple of other relay series (i.e., a hiking series, a container swap series, one for southern WV, etc.) but for now lets see how much participation this one gets. My brother is active with the above mentioned Greater Charlotte Geocaching Club (google "charlotte geocaching" for details) and their board does these, but they also have a lot more people. This small game might encourage some more participation on this board.
wvangler

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:50 pm

finally got around to tracking down the relay cache. And wouldn't you know there was a truck backed into the spot right in front of the cache....

Aquacache's Code Word:
Jon McBride

New coords:
N 39 38.8393
W 79 58.7449
Sidekick LWB said to sidekick engineer, 'I've hung out with people i've met on the internet before but i've never run into any of them in the middle of the woods.' (Upper Yough Trek)

Buffaloes and tigers are one thing, but mustelids are not to be trifled with.
Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby Aquacache on Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:45 pm

'Bout time! Glad you could read my writing ... it didn't look too neat by the time I got done with it.

I can't go hunt for it again, though. My GPSr doesn't have that many numbers on it. :???:

• I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make when they go flying by.
Aquacache

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:52 pm

Aquacache wrote:'Bout time! Glad you could read my writing ... it didn't look too neat by the time I got done with it.

I can't go hunt for it again, though. My GPSr doesn't have that many numbers on it. :???:

I was trying to be as accurate as possible.

and your handwriting was neat enough.
Sidekick LWB said to sidekick engineer, 'I've hung out with people i've met on the internet before but i've never run into any of them in the middle of the woods.' (Upper Yough Trek)

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby wvangler on Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:34 am

My GPSr has that extra digit of accuracy as well...so thanks. For the rest of you peons you'll just have to round up or down :smile:
wvangler

Postby scoutingwv on Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:06 am

Picked this up today. SSPG's code was Sam Huff.

Will post new coordinates soon.

Edit: coordinates are
N 39 20.168
W 80 13.273
Last edited by scoutingwv on Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scoutingwv

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:32 am

scoutingwv wrote:Picked this up today. SSPG's code was Sam Huff.

Will post new coordinates soon.

I feel better. I was begining to think I was going to have to go find my own hide (or force sidekick to participate).

by the way, my grandmother taught Sam Huff in grade school.

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:05 pm

picked this up today on the way to 89SC's birthday event.

ScoutingWV's code was: Homer Hickam

will get it back out soon.

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby Aquacache on Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:17 pm

What's this? You mean SWV doesn't still have this cache??? I never saw the new post where he re-hid it. :roll:

EDIT: Homer Hickam's brother is the football coach at my niece's high school.

Aquacache

Postby wvangler on Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:10 am

Whoa, I totally forgot about the MAGPI Relay. Groovy.
wvangler

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:25 pm

Ok gang. the Relay Cache is back in circulation

N 39 34.718
W 079 57.049

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby scoutingwv on Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:44 pm

Aquacache wrote:What's this? You mean SWV doesn't still have this cache??? I never saw the new post where he re-hid it. :roll:

EDIT: Homer Hickam's brother is the football coach at my niece's high school.

Just edited the original post - sorry about that.
scoutingwv

Next

Return to Challenge Arena