Hitchhiker Help...

A place to sit back, relax, and talk about anything and everything not geocaching related.

Moderator: Moderator

Hitchhiker Help...

Postby Tall_Couple on Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:45 pm

My girlfriend (Sarah) and I met many of you at the Meat-n-Greet this summer and now I'm wondering if any of you would be able to do me a HUGE favor. A travel bug I sent out at the end of last year (Punkin's Proposal: TB5JMQA) has completed the majority of its goal, traveling to Northfield, MN, where we met and back. Only ~60 miles remain...

That's where the favor comes in. The final 60 miles involve a trip east to climb North Fork Mountain Trail up to Chimney Top Cache (GCVTH7). I would like the TB to be dropped there, at which point I will head out with Sarah to find it. I would like my TB to complete its goal in the next month or two (see TB page for more details). Is anyone here interested in helping out? The trail is BEAUTIFUL; we just didn't make the final ascent to the cache last time we hiked it and I fully intend to go back (hopefully with an engagement ring in tow). :)

If one/more of you are interested, please let me know and I will arrange a TB hand-off. Thanks!
Tall_Couple

Re: Hitchhiker Help...

Postby wvcoalcat on Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:40 am

It's time for the annual Preston to Petersburg pilgrimage and we'll be staying within a mile or so of the parking for Chimney Top. As much as I'd like too, I don't think I'll have a chance to make another trip to the cache though. I'll be down there this weekend 13th, 14th, and could get it to http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC3FZ83_jbgrug-reaches-5000 if that'd help.

Sorry for the short notice....just saw this.
Wvhunter's cigarette smoking, mountain climbing, SWMBO butt kissin' sock puppet. (ScoutingWV 2-22-07)

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. (Benjamin Franklin)
wvcoalcat

Postby Tall_Couple on Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:20 am

That would be great -- thanks! I can post a note on the Chimney Top cache page to anyone planning a trek up in the next few weeks to stop by and grab the TB from "jbgrub reaches 5000" before they do so. How would you like to make the hand-off? What would be most convenient? I can either meet up with you in person or drop it in a cache.
Tall_Couple

Postby wvcoalcat on Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:53 am

With my work schedule (stupid work) and carp the best way might be to involve wvhunter in the hand off. He's normally in Mgtn on Wens. and if you two could hook up he could get it to our parents where SWMBO could get it Thurs. I'll text him to see if he can help and get in touch with you.
Wvhunter's cigarette smoking, mountain climbing, SWMBO butt kissin' sock puppet. (ScoutingWV 2-22-07)

wvcoalcat

Postby Tall_Couple on Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:07 am

Ok let me know. I can also drive out of Morgantown to get it closer to you (where would be best?), then drop it in a cache that is convenient. Thanks again for your help!
Tall_Couple

Postby wvhunter on Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:58 am

I live in Fairmont and work in Bridgeport.
This week I will be at the Planet Fitness gym everyday until at least 5:30. I can easily wait longer if that would work for you.
Anatomy (n): something everyone has, but which looks better on a girl.

Life would be so much easier if we could just look at the source code.
wvhunter

Postby Tall_Couple on Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:15 pm

Planet Fitness gym in Bridgeport, I'm assuming? Would it work if I dropped off the TB after lunch sometime this week (Wed-Fri)? Otherwise, is there a convenient cache in Fairmont where I could drop the TB and you could pick it up on your way home?
Tall_Couple

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:03 am

If it would be easier than having Tall_Couple run to Bridgeport, I can pick it up from a Morgantown cache and get it to wvhunter.

If you want to drop it in Cinders Petrie's Hexahedron (GC5BKX7), I will get it and make sure to place it in wvhunter's hands. Or heck, maybe even walk it up to his parents' house.

If you want to do that, I'd suggest you put it in an envelope with my name on it, just in case someone gets to the cache between the drop off and pick up.

Let me know!
Sidekick LWB said to sidekick engineer, 'I've hung out with people i've met on the internet before but i've never run into any of them in the middle of the woods.' (Upper Yough Trek)

Buffaloes and tigers are one thing, but mustelids are not to be trifled with.
Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby Tall_Couple on Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:13 am

Hi SSPG! Thanks for the offer. I think I've figured out a solution with wvhunter and will indeed drop it off at his parents' house. Thanks again!
Tall_Couple

Postby wvcoalcat on Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:43 pm

After much ado, the TB is in my possession and in my pack. If I get there early enough tomorrow, I'll take it the whole way. If not, jbgrub reaches 5000 will be its stop. I'll put a note in the baggie instructing cachers to please take it to Chimney Top and leave it for you to retrieve.

Thanks to all that helped in the delivery and to SSPG for offering her aid.

P.S. New caches coming out after TICK season is over

Goodnight Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are :cool:

(Sheesh, 2:30 a.m. is waaaaaay too early to get up for work)

wvcoalcat

Postby Megs_q on Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:10 pm

Please keep us updated on how this entire trip works out!!
Great idea with the ring, love it!!!
Megs_q

Postby Tall_Couple on Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:38 pm

Hi wvcoalcat,

Were you able to make the drop at "JBGRUG Reaches 5000!" or "Chimney Top Cache" last weekend? I didn't see a log yet and was curious to see if everything worked out. Thanks!

Joe
Tall_Couple

Postby Tall_Couple on Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:27 pm

It's been almost a month and I haven't heard from wvcoalcat, but it is very likely that I will be heading to Chimney Top with my girlfriend tomorrow... Any help in contacting wvcoalcat or info about the whereabouts of this TB would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Tall_Couple

Return to The Flaming Micro Lounge (Off Topic)