Rachel Carson Challenge 2009

A place to sit back, relax, and talk about anything and everything not geocaching related.

Moderator: Moderator

Rachel Carson Challenge 2009

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:01 pm

Purple Monkey Dishwasher has thrown down the gauntlet for the 2009 Rachel Carson Challenge.

For those of you unfamiliar with the RCC....I quote from the website:

"The Challenge has two dimensions: the first is to endure 34 miles of tortuous hill climbing and descent in unpredictable weather conditions; the second is to stay on the trail without getting lost."

In 2006 PMD, sidekick Engineer, Ratjumper and I completed the RCC in 13 hours 31 minutes and some various seconds. It darn near killed me. The Bald Eagle Mountain Megatransect finished me off and I'm still paying for the stupidity of that summer.

In 2009 the RCC happens to fall on June 20. Big deal, right? Not so fast....that date also happens to be the first birthday of PMD's baby. Which means I've been challenge by someone who has recently given birth.

I am sooo scr#wed.
Sidekick LWB said to sidekick engineer, 'I've hung out with people i've met on the internet before but i've never run into any of them in the middle of the woods.' (Upper Yough Trek)

Buffaloes and tigers are one thing, but mustelids are not to be trifled with.
Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Re: Rachel Carson Challenge 2009

Postby Wandering Bears on Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:02 am

Seems to me the Rachel Carson Challenge should really be to negatively affect environmental policy through screeching like a harpy about bad science thus insuring the deaths of millions in Africa via easily prevented malaria.
In the days before the internet, village idiots usually stayed in their own village.
Wandering Bears

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:34 am

Wandering Bears wrote:Seems to me the Rachel Carson Challenge should really be to negatively affect environmental policy through screeching like a harpy about bad science thus insuring the deaths of millions in Africa via easily prevented malaria.

clearly I missed something. Mostly likely because I know nothing about Rachel Carson the person. (personally, I'm all for preventing Malaria.)

At any rate, All I know is some recently pregnant lady threw down a challenge which I can't possible ignore, despite the possibilty of completely destroying my body.

We all need hobbies I guess.
Sidekick LWB said to sidekick engineer, 'I've hung out with people i've met on the internet before but i've never run into any of them in the middle of the woods.' (Upper Yough Trek)

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby Wandering Bears on Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:30 am

Cliffs Notes:

Carson writes "Silent Spring," a piece of poorly researched environmentalist trash, which says if we don't stop spraying DDT all the little birds will die.

Malaria was on the verge of eradication, then we stopped spraying DDT worldwide.
In the days before the internet, village idiots usually stayed in their own village.
Wandering Bears

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:47 am

Wandering Bears wrote:Cliffs Notes:

Carson writes "Silent Spring," a piece of poorly researched environmentalist trash, which says if we don't stop spraying DDT all the little birds will die.

Malaria was on the verge of eradication, then we stopped spraying DDT worldwide.

much obliged for the Cliff Notes version.

I will resist the urge to read said document which will probably just make me angry. And I have enough anger management issues at this time to fill a lifetime and then some.

chad's Dad caught malaria. Lucky for him someone at the Hershey Medical Center just happened to have seen a case of it before. Double lucky that he was back in the US and not still out in the bush.

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby Knight who says Ni on Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:47 pm

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl wrote:Purple Monkey Dishwasher has thrown down the gauntlet for the 2009 Rachel Carson Challenge.

For those of you unfamiliar with the RCC....I quote from the website:

"The Challenge has two dimensions: the first is to endure 34 miles of tortuous hill climbing and descent in unpredictable weather conditions; the second is to stay on the trail without getting lost."

In 2006 PMD, sidekick Engineer, Ratjumper and I completed the RCC in 13 hours 31 minutes and some various seconds. It darn near killed me. The Bald Eagle Mountain Megatransect finished me off and I'm still paying for the stupidity of that summer.

In 2009 the RCC happens to fall on June 20. Big deal, right? Not so fast....that date also happens to be the first birthday of PMD's baby. Which means I've been challenge by someone who has recently given birth.

I am sooo scr#wed.

My opinion, which I will offer unasked, is they are both insane. I can think of MANY ways I would rather spend the longest day of the year than by hiking (or attempting to hike) 34 miles up and down 'torturous' hills.

Now that my position is clear...I have offered to be the sane person who meets the crazies with dry socks, food, water, etc. wherever the "trail" (used loosely) meets the road. Should this offer not be accepted, or pre-empted by sLWB making the same offer, would anyone like to get together for a celebration of cacher insanity by doing something safer? Where is the nearest place to the Challenge that one can consume B&W?
Adventure is a romantic name for trouble. ~Louis L'Amour
Knight who says Ni

Postby scoutingwv on Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:53 pm

I say we meet them at the end. We can set up a canopy and tailgate until they get there.

I can offer all things Coleman.
scoutingwv

Postby Knight who says Ni on Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:34 am

scoutingwv wrote:I say we meet them at the end. We can set up a canopy and tailgate until they get there.

I can offer all things Coleman.

All hail the Coleman King! :hail: :lol:

Sounds good to me. We can cookout/tailgate the day away. I'm sure there are some nearby caches....Now we just need to know who is coming and bringin what.

I can bring hot dogs.
Knight who says Ni

Postby wvangler on Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:17 pm

Just to make this on topic back to off topic...or something like that. Carson's Silent Spring is essentially the catalyst that created the US Environmental Protection Agency.
Indecision is the key to flexibility.
wvangler

Postby scoutingwv on Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:13 pm

wvangler wrote:Just to make this on topic back to off topic...or something like that. Carson's Silent Spring is essentially the catalyst that created the US Environmental Protection Agency.

That's it ... tee it high ...
scoutingwv

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:34 pm

I'm going with duck and cover, boys and girls.

and honestly, I only posted here so that my fellow cachers had ample opportunity to arrange their schedules so they could come and laugh hilariously as I try to keep up with PMD who is easily 6 inches taller than me and currently probably 20 lbs lighter than me, despite having recently produced a small child.

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby scoutingwv on Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:32 am

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl wrote:I'm going with duck and cover, boys and girls.

and honestly, I only posted here so that my fellow cachers had ample opportunity to arrange their schedules so they could come and laugh hilariously as I try to keep up with PMD who is easily 6 inches taller than me and currently probably 20 lbs lighter than me, despite having recently produced a small child.

Make her carry the small child ...
scoutingwv

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:26 am

scoutingwv wrote:Make her carry the small child ...

have you met PMD? That would not slow her down in the least bit.

when we participated before she had this do or die moment with maybe 3 miles left (maybe a little less - I was haullucinating at that point) where she shouted something like "DO OR DIE!!!" and took off running. So that would be maybe around 31 miles of hiking under our belts. I turned to sidekick engineer & said something along the lines of "What the h*ll is up with your wife?" Then we continued our much slower pace and figured we'd either stumble upon her body or meet her at the final check station.

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby Knight who says Ni on Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:53 am

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl wrote:
scoutingwv wrote:Make her carry the small child ...

have you met PMD? That would not slow her down in the least bit.

when we participated before she had this do or die moment with maybe 3 miles left (maybe a little less - I was haullucinating at that point) where she shouted something like "DO OR DIE!!!" and took off running. So that would be maybe around 31 miles of hiking under our belts. I turned to sidekick engineer & said something along the lines of "What the h*ll is up with your wife?" Then we continued our much slower pace and figured we'd either stumble upon her body or meet her at the final check station.

Funny. That is often how I feel when caching with you.
Knight who says Ni

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:18 pm

this is what we're talking about....although I think this year it is East to West maybe instead.

profile-we.jpg
profile-we.jpg (7.88 KB) Viewed 940 times

And you know what? This one I survived unscathed. It was the Bald Eagle Mountain Megatransect the following September that started me on my downward spiral of stupid injuries.

BEMM.jpg
BEMM.jpg (54.7 KB) Viewed 936 times

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Next

Return to The Flaming Micro Lounge (Off Topic)