2 more minutes of fame

A place to sit back, relax, and talk about anything and everything not geocaching related.

Moderator: Moderator

2 more minutes of fame

Postby wvangler on Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:50 am

My bamboo rodmaking business has been written about in the Charleston Gazette and the Pittsburgh paper and has been a special interest story on WSAZ Channel 3 (Chas-Hunt). Now WCHS Channel 8 (ABC Chas-Hunt) wants to come do a feature at my house on the fly rods for their "Travelling West Virginia" segment they do weekly. They'll be there filming on Dec. 1.

Now while I have the producer captive, I'll be sure to bend his ear about geocaching. I think if I were going to do the story I'd go to Canaan or Snowshoe since they do it quasi-commercially. Any other ideas about it that you want me to pitch him?
Indecision is the key to flexibility.
wvangler

Re: 2 more minutes of fame

Postby scoutingwv on Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:21 am

Congratulations! Hope to see a copy of the story on your work when it's out. Very cool ...

To me, one of the appeals of the game has always been that it is something that an entire family or group can do together. A lot of things we get involved in are age (or some other demographic) specific - this isn't. It's a lot of fun that people can share and enjoy regardless of skill level and interests. Heck - look how easy it was for all of us to come together on this board - and how easy it is for us to meet up with folks we only know through the game.

Thanks for taking advantage of an opportunity to get some positive non-bomb-scare news out about the game.
scoutingwv

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:30 am

congratulations. how very cool. A celebrity in our midst.

I'll second what scoutingwv said. and add that it's a nice way to explore your surroundings. Geocaching has led me to places I never would have known existed, let alone seen. And that includes little nooks & crannies in places where I've spent significant amounts of time.
Sidekick LWB said to sidekick engineer, 'I've hung out with people i've met on the internet before but i've never run into any of them in the middle of the woods.' (Upper Yough Trek)

Buffaloes and tigers are one thing, but mustelids are not to be trifled with.
Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby Wandering Bears on Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:33 am

How much for a 6 foot 2 weight?
In the days before the internet, village idiots usually stayed in their own village.
Wandering Bears

Postby wvangler on Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:09 pm

Wandering Bears wrote:How much for a 6 foot 2 weight?

http://www.vandaliarodworks.com
wvangler

Postby Wandering Bears on Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:14 pm

Too rich for my blood. I'm more of a $200 fly rod kind of guy. I have too much archery stuff to buy to spend too much on fly stuff.

Good luck, though. :eek:
In the days before the internet, village idiots usually stayed in their own village.
Wandering Bears

Postby wvangler on Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:19 pm

I have that much in the components...throw in 70 to 120 hours of labor, I'm pulling down a whopping $1/hour as it is. It helps pay for toys and I have a never ending client list, but until I can hire some illegal Mexicans to do it for me there is just no feasible way to speed up the process. Too bad I can't come up with a business that actually turns a profit that can get this much attention from media outlets. :sad:
wvangler

Postby Knight who says Ni on Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:39 pm

Congratulations! And you are nice enough to spend lunch with (semi)normal me. :grin:

I agree with what scoutingwv and SSPG said, but elaborate. Based on the caches I have seen, lots of scout troops seem to be doing this as a way to teach the kids how to use a gps and about nature, forests, etc in general. So many kids now don't know that stuff! And SSPG is totally correct on caches taking me places I have never been. In PA, Dead in the Middle and Wagonmaster's Cache were both really interesting. Locally there have been many caches which have taken me places I wouldn't go. Even the Capitol Puzzle Cache forced me to stop and actually read the monuments around the Capitol grounds rather than just racing by them on my wsay some place.
Adventure is a romantic name for trouble. ~Louis L'Amour
Knight who says Ni

Postby scoutingwv on Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:07 pm

Knight who says Ni wrote:Congratulations! And you are nice enough to spend lunch with (semi)normal me. :grin:

I agree with what scoutingwv and SSPG said, but elaborate. Based on the caches I have seen, lots of scout troops seem to be doing this as a way to teach the kids how to use a gps and about nature, forests, etc in general. So many kids now don't know that stuff! And SSPG is totally correct on caches taking me places I have never been. In PA, Dead in the Middle and Wagonmaster's Cache were both really interesting. Locally there have been many caches which have taken me places I wouldn't go. Even the Capitol Puzzle Cache forced me to stop and actually read the monuments around the Capitol grounds rather than just racing by them on my wsay some place.

About the scouting part - which can translate to a lot of other groups - we use it for a lot of different things in addition to what you mention. We also use it to teach teamwork, fun, math and science, fun, leadership, fun, independent thinking, fun, map reading, fun, navigation, fun, problem solving, fun, and creativity.

We help them learn how to read maps and use a compass so the GPS makes more sense. We have activities using temp caches so they can learn how to play the game or play games of their own. During those activities they work in groups to navigate and problem solve to find the caches. We also tie the game into specific requirements for Scouting - finding campsites, hiking, backpacking, etc. I can go into more if you want, but that'll give you more of an idea.
scoutingwv

Postby wvangler on Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:45 pm

Brad did a great job on the video. Check it out...

http://www.wchstv.com/traveling/2008/twv081211.shtml
wvangler

Postby Aquacache on Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:11 am

Excellent video! Very impressive work you guys do!

• I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

• I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make when they go flying by.
Aquacache

Return to The Flaming Micro Lounge (Off Topic)