GC2873X Bike Trail - #9 Job X71017

Tell us about your favorite caches in the mountain state.

Moderator: Moderator

GC2873X Bike Trail - #9 Job X71017

Postby wvangler on Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:04 am

The entire bike trail series by WVTim and GR8Caches from Martinsburg to Ranson are worth your effort. It is not your average power trail. First of all, it is on a bike trail. All the caches are unique and I even had to DNF a few of the harder ones. There are a few tunnel caches as well, but this one is my favorite to date and the funny thing is that it is not hard at all. It is clean and dry almost all year long.

Setting the scene

Building up the plot

Harry Potter wouldn't even go in there. Nope.

The Cu-Chi Tunnels

We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine
Indecision is the key to flexibility.
wvangler

Re: GC2873X Bike Trail - #9 Job X71017

Postby LuckyAquar on Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:54 am

My sister and I are going to do the bike trail in a few weeks. She hasn't went geocaching with me before, but she does not about it. I am hoping that she will like it and start doing it herself.
LuckyAquar

Postby wvangler on Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:22 am

Nice. It is really well done. I've never really done any power trails, but I imagine this one is way more fun since you don't have to worry about traffic or anything since you are on a bike. It is nice to just clip off 0.10 mile increments on bike too. You hardly notice that you've traveled the miles that you do since you are breaking it up with cache hunts.
wvangler

Postby WVTim on Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:24 pm

This trail has been a real success story. This trail was NEVER used. My wife and I are big bikers we would never see anyone on this trail. Finally we started putting caches on the trail. I now have had over 4000 finds so far and best I can tell, we have had visitors from over 10 states. The trail as a big variety of caches, I'm not a "traditional box" kind of guy. :eek: It has nearly 50 caches, a multi, a letterbox, and now an Earthcache. The trail is new, is its low on the beauty scale, but high on the geocaching fun scale. It's not flat but mostly a gentle roll, all paved. Only one real hill. Anyone visiting up this way, please email me with any questions, I'll be glad to help. I've even been know to loan my bike out on occasion. You do want to bike it, it is not a great walking trail.
WVTim

Postby 89SC on Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:34 pm

I forgot to post on this thread. This cache is very cool! The whole trail is the best I've done. It took a lot of imagination to come up with all those different caches. The other trails I've done are pretty much the same kind of hide over and over. I hit some more of them on the Charles Town end yesterday and even found another culvert cache. It was cool too and kind of evil. It's GC2876K, Bike Trail - Pick One. It goes something like this:

You can guess the rest from the title.
Growing Old is compulsory, Growing up is Optional!
89SC

Postby wvhunter74 on Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:32 pm

very nice
wvhunter74

Postby wvangler on Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:23 pm

89SC wrote:I forgot to post on this thread. This cache is very cool! The whole trail is the best I've done. It took a lot of imagination to come up with all those different caches. The other trails I've done are pretty much the same kind of hide over and over. I hit some more of them on the Charles Town end yesterday and even found another culvert cache. It was cool too and kind of evil. It's GC2876K, Bike Trail - Pick One. It goes something like this:

You can guess the rest from the title.

Yeah, I still have a big fat DNF hanging over my head on that one. I went through ALL FOUR of those SOB's multiple times...like 3 or 4 times EACH! And I still came up empty. I thought, "either it is missing or I'm an idiot." Probably the latter of the two.
wvangler

Return to Suggested Caches