Technology FAIL & FAIL

This is the place to discuss the Hardware and Software that makes Geocaching possible.

Moderator: Moderator

Technology FAIL & FAIL

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:42 pm

Ok. so my fairly new (April maybe?) Garmin 60CSx went on the fritz this weekend, just when I was actually going to start caching again. I wasn't happy about it, but since I was traveling in the GCC I had backups. Fine. They worked. Whatever.

I spent a significant amount of this evening trying to trouble shoot said issue. Nothing I did worked. Nada. Zip. Zilch. Done. So I sent a note to tech support and will probably call them tomorrow.

that chapter done, I figured I'd best go ahead and recharge all the secondary (now first line) geocaching electronics I have. The PDA has seen some rough times but despite it not being a Palm it's fought the good fight and rarely let me down.

I go ahead and plug it into the charger and I noticed something was amiss....it appeared to have the iPAQ equivalent of the dreaded Blue Screen of Death. Uh-oh. Battery pull. Nothing. Hard restart. Nothing. Um...yeah.

So now I am official down to the following functioning mobile devices:
1 - Holux GPSlim 236 bluetooth GPSr
1 - Blackberry Pearl running Cacheberry

Now it could be argued that my Dell Latitude XT Tablet is portable enough to take into the woods. But you know, with the bad arm and all.....
Sidekick LWB said to sidekick engineer, 'I've hung out with people i've met on the internet before but i've never run into any of them in the middle of the woods.' (Upper Yough Trek)

Buffaloes and tigers are one thing, but mustelids are not to be trifled with.
Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Re: Technology FAIL & FAIL

Postby Lledier on Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:52 am

Bad electronics! Bad! Sorry about the trouble. Hopefully the tech support will be able to get the new gps going.
No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Lledier

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:56 pm

Lledier wrote:Bad electronics! Bad! Sorry about the trouble. Hopefully the tech support will be able to get the new gps going.

me too. Or pity poor sidekick who will have to put up with me ranting and carrying on like a crazy person. the alternate being I drag the tablet out into the woods in some type of specially designed lanyard!

And now I'm going to be at risk of losing my GCC certificate. CARP. Gonna have to "borrow" foxtrot bravo's Cheap Yellow Garmin for a bit. Just to stay on the up and up you know.
Sidekick LWB said to sidekick engineer, 'I've hung out with people i've met on the internet before but i've never run into any of them in the middle of the woods.' (Upper Yough Trek)

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby Aquacache on Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:04 pm

Well, since you're not supposed to be in the woods anyway ... :roll:

Just call Garmin and get it sent off to them this week (if that's what they decide is necessary) and I predict that you will have it -- or a suitable replacement -- back before your next doctor appointment.

• I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

• I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make when they go flying by.
Aquacache

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:04 pm

Aquacache wrote:Well, since you're not supposed to be in the woods anyway ... :roll:

hey now...those are fighting words these days!

Aquacache wrote:Just call Garmin and get it sent off to them this week (if that's what they decide is necessary) and I predict that you will have it -- or a suitable replacement -- back before your next doctor appointment.

it's on my list to do tomorrow. I was trying to be sort of self-help for a change.

Oh yes, that glorious day of re-evaluation...

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby Keruso on Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:41 am

well, its not as bad as actually LOSING your cheap yellow GPS. IN THE WOODS. and you have no idea where you are. like i did yesterday. Lets just say its a good thing it was yellow
Keruso

Postby Knight who says Ni on Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:00 pm

Keruso wrote:well, its not as bad as actually LOSING your cheap yellow GPS. IN THE WOODS. and you have no idea where you are. like i did yesterday. Lets just say its a good thing it was yellow

Wow. That took some effort since they are SUPER bright. At least you aren't like wvangler and continually lose car keys...to state owned cars! :doh: :lol:
Adventure is a romantic name for trouble. ~Louis L'Amour
Knight who says Ni

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:32 pm

Fed Ex'd my Garmin 60CSx back to Garmin on Wednesday. Delivered Thursday AM.

Other technology holding up so far. I eagerly anticipate all that going to heck in a handbasket any day now. :lol:

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Return to Tools of the Trade