Thinking about a new/additional GPSr

This is the place to discuss the Hardware and Software that makes Geocaching possible.

Moderator: Moderator

Thinking about a new/additional GPSr

Postby Lledier on Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:58 pm

Currently have a Magellan Triton 300. Thinking of getting a new/additional GPSr. What do you suggest? (and not too pricey...please)
No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Lledier

Re: Thinking about a new/additional GPSr

Postby pbump on Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:49 pm

You'll likely get as many answers as there are models available, but for the money, the Garmin Etrex series is excellent in the woods. You'll have to filter through and grab the features you want to pay for, but start looking at the Summit and Vista models...Walmart has them at pretty attractive prices.
“It's faster horses, younger women, older whiskey and more money.” Tom T. Hall
"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow." Nanook's Mamma

"Corripe Cervisiam"

pbump

Postby scoutingwv on Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:10 pm

Get a Trimble R7 GNSS.
scoutingwv

Postby pbump on Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:30 pm

scoutingwv wrote:Get a Trimble R7 GNSS.

Walmart doesn't seem to stock this one.....plus it seems kinda big to be carrying around in the woods.
"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow." Nanook's Mamma

"Corripe Cervisiam"

pbump

Postby scoutingwv on Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:17 am

pbump wrote:
scoutingwv wrote:Get a Trimble R7 GNSS.

Walmart doesn't seem to stock this one.....plus it seems kinda big to be carrying around in the woods.

That random recommendation made as much sense as an open-ended question. And those actually do get carried in the woods backpack-style.

Wouldn't it be easier to help if we knew just a little more? Maybe somethings like why the current one needs replaced (is there functionality you want but don't have?), how will a new one be used (car, trail, boat, all of those), what's "too pricey", does the size and if it has a color screen matter ...?

Otherwise, just stop by Wal-Mart and ask the kid in the blue vest for a GPS. He'll hook you right up.
scoutingwv

Postby pbump on Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:32 am

The whole antenna on a pole thing is kinda neat, too....until you get into laurel thickets.

I like my little Garmins. We have the Vista, friend has the Summit- both happy with both. Can't do paperless, but it's all what ya pay for.

"Corripe Cervisiam"

pbump

Postby scoutingwv on Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:19 am

I have a GPSMap 76CSx, an Etrex yellow, two Magellan 300's, a Sportrak Pro, a Nuvi 765w, and an Explorist 500. I use the Blackberry to go paperless and log caches while traveling.

But I really like the antenna thing ...
scoutingwv

Postby pbump on Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:20 am

scoutingwv wrote:I have a GPSMap 76CSx, an Etrex yellow, two Magellan 300's, a Sportrak Pro, a Nuvi 765w, and an Explorist 500. I use the Blackberry to go paperless and log caches while traveling.

But I really like the antenna thing ...

And I thought me with the Nuvi 255W, Colorado 400T, Etrex Vista, PN30, two Rinos and a blackberry was crazy....

"Corripe Cervisiam"

pbump

Postby scoutingwv on Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:26 am

pbump wrote:And I thought me with the Nuvi 255W, Colorado 400T, Etrex Vista, PN30, two Rinos and a blackberry was crazy....

It is. And I'm right there with you, buddy!

Oh ... I guess I should count the box of 10 Etrex that go in and out of my activities, too. Thanks NASA!
scoutingwv

Postby pbump on Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:55 am

scoutingwv wrote:Oh ... I guess I should count the box of 10 Etrex that go in and out of my activities, too. Thanks NASA!

Are they yellow?

"Corripe Cervisiam"

pbump

Postby Rock_Rat on Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:01 pm

Garmin has a new model of the 60CSx out (It's now the 63 I believe) so if you look around you may find them on sale. I've had one for years and love it. It's very similar to the 76CSx ScoutingWV has.

And for the crazy contest above
60CSx, Zumo 500, Palm Pre, eTrex Legend, Megelan something or other, MS USB puck, and maybe a new Nuvi in the next week or so.
Murphy was an optimist! - O'toole's commentary on Murphy's law
The perversity of the Universe tends towards a maximum. - O'Toole's Corollary
I think this O'Toole guys onto something. - Rock_Rat's commentary on O'Toole
Rock_Rat

Postby Lledier on Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:04 pm

Well, the Old one has taken a bit of abuse...between getting dunked in the trough, dropped multiple times, etc...

More room for caches would be nice...and it would be nice, since my wife and I both go tromping through the woods looking, to have more than one GPSr, so we aren't passing the gpsr back and forth...make it more fun as we could race to see who finds it. ;)

as for not too pricey, well, I don't happen to have $500 laying about to buy one...so I'd like to keep it under that...under $250 would be better...I know, that knocks out some of the better ones...
No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Lledier

Postby scoutingwv on Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:24 pm

pbump wrote:
scoutingwv wrote:Oh ... I guess I should count the box of 10 Etrex that go in and out of my activities, too. Thanks NASA!

Are they yellow?

EVERY. SINGLE. ONE.
scoutingwv

Postby 3_dogs on Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:16 pm

scoutingwv wrote:
pbump wrote:

Are they yellow?

EVERY. SINGLE. ONE.

Out of curiousity I checked to see if cheapyellowgps.com is available, and it is.
"Är huvudet dumt får kroppen lida."

Translated - "If the head is dumb the body suffers."
3_dogs

Postby scoutingwv on Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:44 pm

3_dogs wrote:Out of curiousity I checked to see if cheapyellowgps.com is available, and it is.

We have this thread seriously off track ... Let's try and help here and work on not helping in another thread, eh?
scoutingwv

Next

Return to Tools of the Trade