Thinking about a new/additional GPSr

This is the place to discuss the Hardware and Software that makes Geocaching possible.

Moderator: Moderator

Re: Thinking about a new/additional GPSr

Postby scoutingwv on Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:50 pm

Lledier wrote:Well, the Old one has taken a bit of abuse...between getting dunked in the trough, dropped multiple times, etc...

More room for caches would be nice...and it would be nice, since my wife and I both go tromping through the woods looking, to have more than one GPSr, so we aren't passing the gpsr back and forth...make it more fun as we could race to see who finds it. ;)

as for not too pricey, well, I don't happen to have $500 laying about to buy one...so I'd like to keep it under that...under $250 would be better...I know, that knocks out some of the better ones...

Good stuff. And from that I'm going to suggest a Vista HCx. Good memory, color screen, maps, will survive a dunk in the water, small, has good battery life and it's dependable. And, it has the improved Sirf chipset like the "pricier" models.
scoutingwv

Postby Aquacache on Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:57 pm

Rock_Rat wrote:Garmin has a new model of the 60CSx out (It's now the 63 I believe) ...

The new Garmin is the 62-series ... looked at them yesterday. Looks pretty nice. I expect the 60-series units to drop in price even more now. I have the Vista HCx mentioned by scoutingwv and I really like it for the reasons mentioned ... with the exception of Garmin's failure to allow more than 1000 waypoints to be loaded. :???: Still have no idea why you can't put waypoints on the SD card.

Ok, I've been holding off, but ... eTrex Vista, eTrex Legend, Bluetooth GPSr (for Palm or laptop use), a couple USB pucks, HTC Touch Pro 2 (real satellite GPSr ... not cell tower carp), DeLorme Earthmate (original one), old Magellan and maybe one of the Nuvi units someday soon.

• I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

• I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make when they go flying by.
Aquacache

Postby pbump on Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:11 pm

On the Nuvi topic, I was blessed with a 255W for Christmas - and have learned to load it fairly effectively. Over 5,000 loaded at one point, and it loads descriptions, logs and hints as well. We use it to get us close to the next cache, routing has been fairly decent. Find it works well in urban situations where you really don't know how to get over to that part of town. It stays in the Jeep though.
“It's faster horses, younger women, older whiskey and more money.” Tom T. Hall
"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow." Nanook's Mamma

"Corripe Cervisiam"

pbump

Postby scoutingwv on Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:21 am

I've been happy with my Nuvi also. Although I recently lost the City Nav 2008 NT DVD (if anyone would care to loan me a copy I'd be very appreciative!). The 7x5 series adds traffic delays and a lane assist feature that automatically activates in larger cities and makes places like the DC beltway a LOT easier. I don't cache with it, it just moves between family vehicles.
scoutingwv

Postby Wintz on Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:26 am

My nuvi does ok if I know where I am going. I hate that if your facing the wrong way when you press go that it can take you miles out of the way...

It also tries to take me down goat paths every now and then as well. I don't mind if I am driving the jeep.
--wintz50
Wintz

Postby pbump on Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:09 am

One of the cool Nuvi features is the Tour Guide. We load a gazillion caches, and set a perimeter of a half mile. If we get within that range, it beeps, and displays on the screen. Kinda neet for "seat 'o pants" flying.
"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow." Nanook's Mamma

"Corripe Cervisiam"

pbump

Postby Lledier on Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:27 pm

The Vista HCx looks promising...
No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Lledier

Postby wvangler on Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:34 pm

The DeLorme PN-40 is going for around $200 now. IMO, it can't be beat. I use a PN-20. The PN-40 will do paperless caching with pretty much unlimited cache storage on your SD card(s). It comes with all your topo software as well as coupons for additional higher detailed USGS topos, aerial satellite, etc. Comes with Topo 8.0. Comes with SD card and reader/writer. Waterproof. Barometric 3 axis compass. You can look it up for all the details if interested. If you don't want the compass you can get a PN-30 for less. You can now use GSAK to load the caches into it, but honestly I like using Cache Register better. It is a snap. I don't have to download or do anything other than plug it in and select which query I want to load and it does it remotely from the Groundspeak server.

Also, I use a TomTom One for road navigation. With the GSAK macro it does all the things that a Nuvi does as far as caching except that reading all the paperless stuff is a little more of a pain, but it does have all the cache icons on the screen as you load it in as POI's. I use my PN-20 and my iPhone for paperless so I don't care about that part.

Just some other non-Garmin options (-this sentence is merely trolling bait for someone to respond to :cool: )
Indecision is the key to flexibility.
wvangler

Postby pbump on Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:09 pm

PN20 has been relegated to back-up status. It's a tad slower than the others. The real kick in the gut is that I bought it right before the faster, sleeker, oranger PN40 came out. But it is very serviceable. And does go into the woods with us on occasion. Maps are great on it.

"Corripe Cervisiam"

pbump

Postby scoutingwv on Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:28 am

Wintz wrote:My nuvi does ok if I know where I am going. I hate that if your facing the wrong way when you press go that it can take you miles out of the way...

It also tries to take me down goat paths every now and then as well. I don't mind if I am driving the jeep.

I've never had those problems with mine. You may want to look at the settings of your Nuvi. I had mine set to avoid toll roads and got stuck in a loop around the Orlando airport until I rememebered I checked that box. Pretty sure you can tweak it to avoid those issues.

I know I posted that yesterday, but the post appears to be gone... hmmm ... must be the elves ...
scoutingwv

Postby Rock_Rat on Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:15 am

The PN-40 looks like a nice unit. If I didn't have a perfectly good 60CSx I love to death I would consider picking up one of the PN-40 SE's. That would be 7.3GB of maps and caches. I also like that DeLorme has made and effort to be Mac friendly.
Murphy was an optimist! - O'toole's commentary on Murphy's law
The perversity of the Universe tends towards a maximum. - O'Toole's Corollary
I think this O'Toole guys onto something. - Rock_Rat's commentary on O'Toole
Rock_Rat

Postby thebuddhaman on Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:21 am

i use the pn-40 and really like it over all our gps's
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

We didn't inherit this world for our parents.... We borrow it from our children
thebuddhaman

Postby Lledier on Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:34 am

hmm...the PN-40 looks pretty good too. Ok, lemme see...nononono. I will not have a dozen gpsr's!
No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Lledier

Postby pbump on Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:31 pm

Lledier wrote:hmm...the PN-40 looks pretty good too. Ok, lemme see...nononono. I will not have a dozen gpsr's!

Yeah, that's pretty much how it happens.....

"Corripe Cervisiam"

pbump

Postby scoutingwv on Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:40 pm

Lledier wrote:hmm...the PN-40 looks pretty good too. Ok, lemme see...nononono. I will not have a dozen gpsr's!

Garmin.
scoutingwv

PreviousNext

Return to Tools of the Trade